Round 6 Help? Gah!!!

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainter, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Sainter

Sainter New Member

DEFENDERS
    Goddard, Heppell, Hanley, Newman, Stevenson, Sierakowski (Gibbs + Goodes)
    MIDFIELDERS
    Ablett, Swan, Cotchin, Murphy, Montagna, OMeara, Lucas, Dwyer (Kommer + Colquhoun)
    RUCKMEN
    Cox, Sinclair (Blicavs + Daw)
    FORWARDS
    Franklin, Rockliff, Bartel, Neade, Mayes, Macaffer (Rowe + Kerridge)
    My backline is under real siege. Siera won't play, Gibbs is injured, Goodes suspended, Hanley under a possible injury cloud (or so I've heard), Newman underperforming... What I want to know is, should I be looking seriously at offing Goodes or Gibbs? Gibbs only has topped the ton once this year, and that was his 150 in round 1. I have 160k in the bank, I could get anybody. I could get rid of Gibbs and Sierakowski for Docherty and Birchall or something. I really need help here under a lot of stress, don't want to make the wrong decision!
    Any advice to push me in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. swerva3

swerva3 New Member

Sainter, i really think it firstly comes back to how easy/hard your league games are this week and if you are in the running for overall. Tough to wear a donut so maybe a sideways into Docherty etc might help for a week. The issue is Goodes has room to move still with a BE of 23 and an average of 94 (i have him too!) and Gibbs might only be a one/two week wait. He would be the 5th best defender too if not for the injury this weekend. Will he be top 5? I think so -> need to bench him. Bloody tough call, i have Goodes and Gibbs to plus Pittard so looking at a similar dilemma. I think ill hold even though i can afford Goodes ->Birchall. Think ill wait for Pittard!

3. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Cheers for the help.

4. Micksdemons

Micksdemons Active Member

? Priddis and Biclav > watson and Gawn
    or hold

5. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

Sainter, I would keep Gibbs ahead of others if he's only out for one. Mick, looks a good move to flush away the Big Lav and The Dunny Brush.

6. KissKiss

KissKiss New Member

Hanley should be back this week. He probably could have played if he hadnt been suspended but the rest will have done him some good.I wouldn't be confident on Docherty getting named though. He was sub and with Black and Hanley probably returning, he and Paparone are most likely to go out

7. Midge001

Midge001 Member

Sainter, I'm agreeing with the other guys in thinking that you should hang on to Gibbs...Goodes is a tough one...if he keeps up his form he'll easily make another $100k, but at the same time he gives you the most cash here and now. My personal thinking is that you need to downgrade him early to cover the loss (imagine the pain of holding him and having Gibbs miss next week as well) - plus holding him puts you 2 weeks further back with your upgrades, I'm not sure that the extra money is worth that. Here's my (subject to change) plan for this week. I'll point out that I'm only focussed on leagues. B: Goddard, Gibbs, Hibberd, Goodes, Stevenson, Pittard, Terlich, Heath M: Pendles, Cotchin, Murphy, Dangerfield, Kennedy (syd), O'Meara, Dwyer, Kommer, Evans R: McEvoy, Luey, Blicavs, Daw F: Cox, Franklin, Rockliff, Bartel, Kennedy (wce) Rowe, Neade, Macaffer $140k ish in the bank. Thinking Goodes > Docherty/Laird depending on teams Dwyer > Watson. It leaves me exposed in the backs in the short term with only Goddard and Hibberd to rely on, but I figure everybody is hurting there anywayand the chance to grab Jobe atwhat will have to be his cheapest pricegives me a midfield that, if Murphy and Dangerfield find top form, will give me the edge most weeks head to head. At the very least, I'm hoping it will psycha few people into trading sooner than they'd like. I'll then spend the next few weeks upgrading defenders once my port boys have fattened up. Thoughts?

8. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Midge001 wrote:
    Sainter, I'm agreeing with the other guys in thinking that you should hang on to Gibbs...Goodes is a tough one...if he keeps up his form he'll easily make another $100k, but at the same time he gives you the most cash here and now. My personal thinking is that you need to downgrade him early to cover the loss (imagine the pain of holding him and having Gibbs miss next week as well) - plus holding him puts you 2 weeks further back with your upgrades, I'm not sure that the extra money is worth that. Here's my (subject to change) plan for this week. I'll point out that I'm only focussed on leagues. B: Goddard, Gibbs, Hibberd, Goodes, Stevenson, Pittard, Terlich, Heath M: Pendles, Cotchin, Murphy, Dangerfield, Kennedy (syd), O'Meara, Dwyer, Kommer, Evans R: McEvoy, Luey, Blicavs, Daw F: Cox, Franklin, Rockliff, Bartel, Kennedy (wce) Rowe, Neade, Macaffer $140k ish in the bank. Thinking Goodes > Docherty/Laird depending on teams Dwyer > Watson. It leaves me exposed in the backs in the short term with only Goddard and Hibberd to rely on, but I figure everybody is hurting there anywayand the chance to grab Jobe atwhat will have to be his cheapest pricegives me a midfield that, if Murphy and Dangerfield find top form, will give me the edge most weeks head to head. At the very least, I'm hoping it will psycha few people into trading sooner than they'd like. I'll then spend the next few weeks upgrading defenders once my port boys have fattened up. Thoughts? Midge, I reckon that's the right plan. I'm doing something similar (albeit with less cash). In my view, downgrading Goodes means you're preventing a donut. Gibbs not playing means that an extra rookie is being played in the backline. By upgrading to a premium midfielder (above $500k), you are making up for the temporary loss of a premium in one line, with the permanent acquisition of a premium in an other. Shouldn't affect scoring and when Gibbs comes back, an extra 50 points is there for the taking!

9. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Midge, I'd be trying to hold onto Goodes for as long as possible. Still money to be made, and who knows, by the end of the year could be a keeper. I would trade out Pittard. Heard a rumour that he is out again. Only problem is you might not be able to afford Watson. Is it only Gawn and Docherty on the bubble this week?

10. Midge001

Midge001 Member

Tomster wrote:
    Midge, I'd be trying to hold onto Goodes for as long as possible. Still money to be made, and who knows, by the end of the year could be a keeper. I would trade out Pittard. Heard a rumour that he is out again. Only problem is you might not be able to afford Watson. Is it only Gawn and Docherty on the bubble this week? Rory Laird is also on the bubble with two scores of around 50 as a DEF. They're all that I know of off the top of my head. I think keeping Goodes does have some merit, but I'm 0-3 in the league (lost two games by under 10 points haha) and need to make an aggressive move this week to ensure a win.

11. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

Midge - have you given thought to the possibility that Jobe may be one of the six dons who may take an extended holiday?
    After the Dons wagon circling today my cynical nature makes me very wary of any Dons players who were there last year.

12. Midge001

Midge001 Member

melbandy wrote:
    Midge - have you given thought to the possibility that Jobe may be one of the six dons who may take an extended holiday? After the Dons wagon circling today my cynical nature makes me very wary of any Dons players who were there last year. It's certainly crossed my mind, but I'll put faith in ASADA dragging the chain and Essendon appealing the ever-loving hell out of whatever decision comes down to mean that if anybody is suspended that it won't happen this season.

13. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Just to make life more interesting, Heppell is now also out and Docherty and Laird have been dropped!
    I'm looking to pull a shifty this week. I'm trading out Fyfe, swinging Gibbs into the Mids via DPP (he'll go back later) then bringing in Birch. This has several benefits. I move one of the non-players from my backs to my mids where I have cover, and I bring in a premium keeper. When everything equalises, I swing Gibbs back todefencethrough trading out cows or DPP and I've gained the best defender.
    Seems to make sense at the moment!

14. Sylvia12

Sylvia12 New Member

Mad_Mattigan wrote:
    Just to make life more interesting, Heppell is now also out and Docherty and Laird have been dropped! I'm looking to pull a shifty this week. I'm trading out Fyfe, swinging Gibbs into the Mids via DPP (he'll go back later) then bringing in Birch. This has several benefits. I move one of the non-players from my backs to my mids where I have cover, and I bring in a premium keeper. When everything equalises, I swing Gibbs back todefencethrough trading out cows or DPP and I've gained the best defender. Seems to make sense at the moment! I think this is a ripping call. I reckon I will do the same, then when one of my port def guys moos (not far off), I will shift Gibbs back and grab a premium mid.