Midpriced (and sub premium) madness

Discussion in 'AFL' started by jp, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jp

jp Active Member

With the rookie tax this year the old GnR approach has lost a bit of it's appeal. Plus there is a huge number of players that for one reason or another are very under valued, either from injury, vest or form. So to me it seems that there are a lot of juicy options in the $300-$500 range. Here is the list of ones I'm considering, or at least keeping an eye on. Grundy - A popular choice as he showed a bit late last year and will be taking the lions share of the ruck work at the Pies this year Sandilands - given his scoring potential he is ridiculously under priced. A huge injury risk, but if he stays fit even for a few games he will deliver rewards Buddy - Big drop off in form last year, plus moved to a new club, so there are some unknowns. But a genuine super star priced at only $487k Daisy - a mercurial player capable of huge scores at a bargain price. There remains a questions about his ankle, but if he plays he will surly increase in value from his current $340k Suckling - Back form injury and $312k, will be in everyone's team I'd think. Beams - Still expensive at just under $500k but a bargain considering he averaged over 100 for the last 3 years in a row So who else is considering mid-priced approach this year, and who is sticking with the GnR? Any comments, news or thoughts on these guys? And who have I missed?

2. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Interesting point re GnR and the 'Rookie Tax'. Add that with the large range of mid value picks out there this year and you'd think pure GnR will be a rarity - hard to resist some of the underpriced players! Nice list! I have a few to add: Marc Murphy ($498k) - Lots of noise about him this pre-season. Can he get back to form of 2012? If so and you take the risk would pay off handsomely. I'm staying away initially as a wait and see, perhaps target him as a Bye upgrade. Too many question marks. Also with Judd out first few rounds will get #1 tag - something that he doesn't always deal well with. Paul Chapman ($464k) is another some people are considering or have already. We all know what he is capable of, and with less targets this year should get plenty of delivery from Bomber's midfielders, as well as spending some time through the midfield himself. Well under priced for what he can do, last game was a final 20+ possessions and 4 goals (or something like that). Very tempting. Jack Grimes ($436k) - the perennial promiser, Grimes always promises so much and then the sticky tape holding him together breaks. We all say NEVER again each time. I'm going to try and stick by that. However massively under valued if he can stay on the park. HMac ($332k) - Went to Geelong for a reason but killed by injuries last year. If injury free is a bargain as a proven performer. Ahead of Grundy at the moment for me.

3. Pilly

Pilly New Member

Wouldn't touch Chappy - he said he's only aiming to play 16 and will be rested for several games.

4. jp

jp Active Member

Good additions there Nick, I forgot about Murph. He clearly has the potential and maybe no Judd will be a boost since he isn't sharing the points? <p class='Quote]Pilly wrote:
    Wouldn't touch Chappy - he said he's only aiming to play 16 and will be rested for several games. Yeah but what if it's the first 16 :)

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Charlie Dixon is another. Got the red vest 3 times which takes his average down. Could go bang this year. Wait for NAB.

6. Magic17

Magic17 New Member

The big Pav is very tempting at the price.

7. whips

whips New Member

Agree there's many tasty mid-pricers ATM but I reckon the arguments against this strategy will prevail by rd 1. i have a draft team full of them but mainly because I want to see some rookies first. As the rookies show something, I'm sure the mid-pricers will be replaced. The rookies will provide the $ increase to complete the team upgrades. As always, my trap will be NOT to fall in love with value and get the GnR happening. <p style='text-align: left;]PS: Good article by anthak.

8. rickb

rickb New Member

Jack Trengrove ($404K) and playing under Roos this year is a tempting proposition. With some of mature age players that Melbourne brought in this year may assist Jack take the next step.

9. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Thomas is now on my scratchings list..

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yeah likewise Len, a strong NAB is pretty vital in selecting anyone you're not 100% sure you can bank on. Didn't like much what I saw of Murph either. Lots of hope he can get back to pre-2012 form. I'm not too sure it well happen.

11. cavalah

cavalah New Member

I am liking how Caddy is being played down in Geelong especially now that both Varcoe and Christensen won't be available for the first couple of rounds. This year might be the year that he live up to his potential?

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

whips wrote:
    Agree there's many tasty mid-pricers ATM but I reckon the arguments against this strategy will prevail by rd 1. i have a draft team full of them but mainly because I want to see some rookies first. As the rookies show something, I'm sure the mid-pricers will be replaced. The rookies will provide the $ increase to complete the team upgrades. As always, my trap will be NOT to fall in love with value and get the GnR happening. <p style='text-align: left;]PS: Good article by anthak. Thanks Whips :) Ive just seen this now. Like you, Ive actually had a lot of midpricers in my team too, but I just cant justify having them all in there, so it has been thinning out a bit more lately Im currently at 10-5-15, but its changing every day. Others (not mentioned above) to consider I reckon, are DSwallow Rioli TMitchell

13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Titich and Swallow too much upside to ignore. Parker is also heavily in my calculations.

14. princeofmugs

princeofmugs Moderator

Anyone tempted by Bernie Vince at $424k after his NAB form?

15. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Not for me, POM. I'd rather be going with his mates Tyson or Michie...

16. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Vince wont get as much easy ball in the real stuff

17. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I was considering dropping DSwallow from my team, so did a bit more research and found this: 'Prestia said Swallow, who played in defence for much of 2013, had been training with the midfielders all summer and would likely play through the middle this season'
    im keeping him now.

18. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

anthak wrote:
    I was considering dropping DSwallow from my team, so did a bit more research and found this: 'Prestia said Swallow, who played in defence for much of 2013, had been training with the midfielders all summer and would likely play through the middle this season'
    im keeping him now. Nice pick-up Ant. Cheers for that!

19. Grey Bradman

Grey Bradman Guest

thoughts on Pittard, Zorko & Pyke anyone?

20. Andy B

Andy B Guest

Hi Grey, I reckon Sucking and R Shaw offer better value than Pittard to use as a stepping stone and Pyke could definitely improve his numbers this year being the #1 ruck. Reckon there is better options than Zorko around that price range (Gunston, Pav). Or there is someone else on my radar now after his performance on the w/e. Missy Higgins. I know he has burnt many of us before, but at $255K, I'm going to find it very hard not to pick him. If he can get through the first 6 games, I'm sure his price with sky rocket. If you are thinking of using Zorko as a stepping stone, maybe Higgins could be a higher risk/higher reward candidate.