2012 Supercoach Defenders

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Dec 5, 2011.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I reckon defenders are going to be the hardest to pick next year. You really only have 3 elite players:

Brendon Goddard
    Bryce Gibbs
    Brett Deledio

Then you have the likes of:

Nathan Bock
    Heath Scotland (Age might be worry)
    Sam Fisher
    Corey Enright

as the only other viable "premiums" heading into 2012.

Some guys like Shannon Hurn & Greg Broughton had shocking 2011's so will be cheap but have proven in past can be up top end of the points, so could be some real value.

Brian Lake, Nick Malceski are proven guns a couple years ago but have had injury concern this year and will be mid priced next year. Can you take a gamble that they can find form and fitness again?

Having quick look through the rookies and at this early stage there really doesnt seem to be any standouts.

Tom Simpkin - 2 games at 60 - Hopefully isnt priced too high as will play plenty games

Jarryn Geary - Will be about $200K due to being sub few games.

Will Sierakowski - Rookie traded to North, must rate him and have plans to play him.

Tim Golds - One the highest rated GWS youngsters. Just hope he doesnt do a Josh Toy!!

My smokey for next year is Jared Petrenko. Whilst many are still haunted by spudrenko from his first year his numbers in back half of the season were very very solid.

Season Ave: 62.1
    Last 9 Games: 86.7 (which included a 39, which u take out and averaged 93)

2. Steven Morris for the Tiges! Mature age rookie and should get some good TOG

3. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Morris was a solid performer in a middle-of-the-road team at West Adelaide - not sure if his game would translate into decent SC returns, but if the Tigers are prepared to play him he should at least be a better than average Cash Cow.

Interesting to read reports that Lids is set for more mid-field time in 2012.

Port's recent draftee, Nathan Blee has the potential to slot into the team, worth a look considering to steady performance of O'Shea in Port's back 6 during 2011.

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Heath Shaw if he can avoid the brain snaps.
    Grimes if he can stay on the park.

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on December 4, 2011, 20:31
    Heath Shaw if he can avoid the brain snaps.
    Grimes if he can stay on the park.
    </blockquote>

Just save a trade at around Round 15 for when he stuffs up and gets season ending suspension!!

Ill probably get sucked into Grimey again next year, will rip up preseason, play couple games and then get injured.

6. Patrician

Patrician New Member

Grundy was solid for me last season, but solid only. Not sure I can keep him. I'm thinking Suckling as my D4 next year and then stock up on rookies.

7. Cunning_Stunts

Cunning_Stunts New Member

I think Heppell with natural improvement and another pre-season under his belt is good to lift his output by 5-10&#37;. That would make him truly premium for a defender. I'm assuming he will still have defender eligibility.

8. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Yeah keen on Heppell as well. First 9 games were exceptional with an average of 91. Looking at fitting him into D4. If this year is any indication of what'll be required from your D7 next year, then Heppell won't need much improvement to fill the role.

Deledio looks a lock if he's played through the middle as has been widely publicised.

Also want Heath Scotland in my final team, but might need to pencil him in as an upgrade target. Though i'd prefer to lock in a player as consistent as him in my starting team as his price will most likely deviate less than some of the more volatile defenders. Will also be a fairly unique starting selection i'd imagine as most look to take Lids Gibbs and Goddard initially.

9. Cunning_Stunts

Yeah Scotland had only 40k or so owners even toward the end of the SC season this year, despite his superbly consistent form. Partly because he is underrated and partly because I think some see him more as a DTer than a SCer. Regardless I think the first 3 premiums pick themsleves. Durable, consistent, not overpriced (in the case of Goddard his ceiling is 130 from '10). Scotland probably won't make it into many sides and could be a great POD, as he was this year.

10. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Yeah I like him ahead of Gibbs atm tbh. The cheapest you could get Scotland last season was &#36;450k, whereas Gibbs was under that for 11 of the 24 weeks. Gibbs seems much easier to upgrade to than Scotland. I'd apply the same sort of theory to Murphy and Judd really, with Murph the lock and Judd the upgrade.

11. Cunning_Stunts

Yeah you make some very good points. However Scotland is entering the danger zone age wise, whereas Gibbs should theoretically be ready to explode from here on. I'd like Scotland in my starting squad, depends if I can squeee him in and have Heppell D5. Will come down to cash distribution elsewhere on the field. There will be plenty of value to be had but IMO you will have to pay virtually the full toll for your premiums in defence.

12. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Goddard, Gibbs, Lids and Bock are pencilled in so far. Annoyingly, all 4 of them share a bye!

13. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Alright, where's my list for these blokes? :D

Top SC Defenders based on average (2011)

Goddard, Brendon D/M [St Kilda]
    Scotland, Heath D/M [Carlton]
    Deledio, Brett D/M [Richmond]
    Gibbs, Bryce D/M [Carlton]

Shaw, Heath DEF [Collingwood]
    Newman, Chris DEF [Richmond]
    Fisher, Sam DEF [St Kilda]

Enright, Corey DEF [Geelong]
    Birchall, Grant DEF [Hawthorn]
    Bock, Nathan DEF [Gold Coast]
    Carrazzo, Andrew D/M [Carlton]

BROUGHTON, Greg DEF [Fremantle]
    SUCKLING, Matt DEF [Hawthorn]
    Adcock, Jed DEF [Brisbane Lions]
    Murphy, Robert D/F [Western Bulldogs]

Bold is players with round 13 byes

14. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I've been mulling over Goddard-Deledio-Shaw-Broughton.

Also thinking about adding Lake, how's he looking Jason?

15. walesy

Looking at those boldings, it's almost enough to call Shaw a lock isn't it. If not in round 1, at least traded into.

16. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

I'm going to get Goddard, Deledio, and Gibbs. I need a forth premium and I'm thinking of getting of getting Adcock or Robert Murphy. The teams with byes during round 13 is a big problem because a lot of premiums come from those teams.

17. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Lake may come into consideration because of bye.

18. Cunning_Stunts

Will be very interesting to see how Ross Lyon chooses to use Broughton. He has huge potential but he keeps being given shut down roles. That average could really spike if he is given more midfield time. Durability a bit of a concern though. Looking at how the byes fall I'm liking Enright a bit more.

19. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I am considering loading up quality defence, and putting in most of the bold players.

I reckon you could get away with a sideways or two after chomping on points for the first half of the season.

Will think a sideways into Shaw for Round 13 suits well (apart from Heater's propensity to #getttuppp and prang your team with injury or team imposed suspensions)

If Lids, Scotland, Gibbs and Goddard get included as defenders, maybe the smart option is just to load up on them. Particularly if there is MPP and that provides further R13 coverage.

What might be needed are roookie DM mids who you can swing back when required. Would like a review done on these, particularly from GWS. Yagmoor might be another smoky from Collingwood. Doing all the right things in Arizona.

I for one am not liking any of the other non bolded premium defender options. I think this year will be one where Corey Enright really starts shutting down. To an extent I see similar signs from Chapman. Might be able to do role play, but not so much matchwinning. (Probably will be proved wrong on that score)

20. walesy

The problem with the rookie DM's is that they will be very situational- likely it will need to be someone you can trade a mid down to throughout the year, and with only two bench spots, we won't be able to be a "loose" with our rookies...