2012 Taggers

Discussion in 'AFL' started by crew, Feb 9, 2012.

1. crew

crew New Member

Guess part of setting a team is to work out who the taggers are. Be it forward taggers, mid taggers even attacking backs. That "bargain" your looking at might be a future tagger which makes his value poor in most cases.
    Point in view with Cats. Ling now gone who getts the tagging role ??. Will it be one of the young players ??. Maybe a James Kelly ??. Doubt that but coaches have thrown bigger curve balls..............Your thoughts from team to team ??.

2. 11kgm

11kgm New Member

Essendon it is McVeigh in defence and Hocking in the midfield

3. spud

spud New Member

Lewis can sometimes be used as a defensive forward tag, or can alternate with Sewell and go head-to-head with the likes of Judd.

I'd personally like to see Bruce given a tagging role in some capacity if he still possesses his elite endurance.

4. crew

crew New Member

My thinking is Cats have groomed Varcoe for a mid spot but he doesn't come up to speed this season, be it injury or otherwise, he might get the tagging role ????....

We all know Swans have Jack and if they are in trouble with someone else lighting it up it's usually ROK that gets the nod.

5. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

2011 Port used Matt Thomas in the taggers role rather than use Kornes who was always one of the comps premier taggers - this season could see a mix of Thomas, Kornes (occasionally), Broadbent & P.Stewart (possibilities) - and if Jonas manages to get elevated to the senior list he is a certainty to play a tagging role.

6. stephen247

stephen247 Member

For Melbourne Jordie McKenzie has spent a fair bit of time tagging in the midfield. I think the previous coach was doing this so Jordie could learn how to get to the ball by some of the elite mids. Who knows what role Neeld has now - but it will still be in the mid. Batram is another of our run with players. Bate has been training with the mids this year so could easily be thrown that job IMO.

7. crew

crew New Member

Yup knew Jordie did the work last year but I think Bate would be a good tagger but Like you say with a new coach????...........Guess McPhee will be at Freo ??. What Buckleys thoughts are is anyones guess ??.