8 Rookie Midfield Tactic- Give me some Feedback/Discussion anything helps

Discussion in 'AFL' started by bkp130, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bkp130

bkp130 Member

B- Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Birchall, Broughton, Yarran, Hanley (Ellis, Bugg(e))
    M- Caddy, Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliot, Wingard, shiel, Ledger (stevens(e), Magner)
    R- Munford, Luenberger (Giles, Reddan)
    F- Franklin, Fyfe, Martin, Cloke, Sidebottom, Dangerfield, Devon Smith (Folau(e), Hall)

As the name suggests im trying the tactic with 8 rookie midfielders and loading up on premium fowards, backs and rucks. So far looking at mummy for captain

All feedback is welcome no matter if its positive/negative/whatever just say something.

Thanks in advance for commenting

2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

You have a similar amount of premiums in Fwd and Def as me, and I've got 3 elite mids as well.

If you want your FWD & DEF lines loaded up, i reckon changing to a 1-0-3 ruck line is better strategy than 8 rookie mids.

Elite mids are bread and butter. Necessity to score well.
    And we saw how rucks scored so well under new formula last season, so even rookie rucks should do well with game time.

3. bigshow

bigshow Member

Not for me personally, i like the security of having three or four of the top scoring players in my side from day one. Some of your rookies have JS issues (Ledger and Stevens). Yarran, Sidebottom, Dangerield and Hanley can be unpredictable and i dont believe Folau and Hall will be decent foward rookies. Someone tell me if im wrong, but didnt last years winner do this 2 years ago and come out the following year and win 50k???

4. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

You need a perma-capt as well

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Points are made in MID.

This year is very different from last, requiring more team balance. Every cow you put out to pasture eventually requires a trade. The more cows you have, the more trades you will have to burn to upgrade them. Cashing in a cow for a premium usually requires 2 trades. One up, one down. You also have a number of mid-pricers in there who will also eventually require upgrading. More trades.

Different, yes, but suggest you consider carefully and have a well thought out trading strategy planned.

6. Das Phoenix

Das Phoenix Guest

My son has gone this way but he has cobbled together a far better initial set up than the above (about which I am sworn to secrecy) including a Perma-Captain, and quite frankly, I think it has a big chance.
    In fact I'm a little jealous of his lateral thinking.
    He has just 8 upgrades to a full premium team and is safe in the knowledge that all his players will definately start and least likely to be vested (excluding injury) how comforting is that!!
    After his start yesterday I think I'll hand over the cash now.

7. gogonz

gogonz New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Supercoach_Junkie on March 25, 2012, 19:58
    My son has gone this way but he has cobbled together a far better initial set up than the above (about which I am sworn to secrecy) including a Perma-Captain, and quite frankly, I think it has a big chance.
    In fact I'm a little jealous of his lateral thinking.
    He has just 8 upgrades to a full premium team and is safe in the knowledge that all his players will definately start and least likely to be vested (excluding injury) how comforting is that!!
    After his start yesterday I think I'll hand over the cash now.</blockquote>

Keep us updated. Hope he goes well and love to hear how it pans out. Post his team after rd 1 if you could. :)

8. bkp130

bkp130 Member

Yeah i was thinking about going with a perma captain but it would defeat the purpose of me playing 8 rookies. its more of an expirment to see where i end up

thanks everyone for the comments so far please keep them comming

9. Herbie66

Herbie66 New Member

Hi

Have gone the all rookie GWS midfield :)

Goddard, Scotland, Delido, Shaw, Grundy, Malceski, Ellis (Bugg and Townsend)

Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott, Greene, Smith, Shiel, McDonald (Tyson and Kennedy)

Cox, Mumford (Giles, Big O/Redden)

Franklin, Goodes, Fyfe, Pavlich, Martin, N-Riewoldt, Porplyzia (Cameron and Hampton)

hoping can become D7, Malceski and Ellis to be sold uring the byes

Porplyzia to be a cash cow, Roo to go during the byes

4 downgrades/4 mid upgrades before the byes

Cox and Mummy to be captain choices

Cheers

10. bkp130

bkp130 Member

Yeah mate it looks good. A bit more balanced than my side but i like the idea. im thinking about downgrading luenberger and using giles as R2 to give me more cash elswhere on the ground.

Good to see someone else trying a similar tactic as well though

11. Midge001

Midge001 Member

<blockquote>Quote from Herbie66 on March 26, 2012, 10:25
    Hi

Have gone the all rookie GWS midfield :)

Goddard, Scotland, Delido, Shaw, Grundy, Malceski, Ellis (Bugg and Townsend)

Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott, Greene, Smith, Shiel, McDonald (Tyson and Kennedy)

Cox, Mumford (Giles, Big O/Redden)

Franklin, Goodes, Fyfe, Pavlich, Martin, N-Riewoldt, Porplyzia (Cameron and Hampton)

hoping can become D7, Malceski and Ellis to be sold uring the byes

Porplyzia to be a cash cow, Roo to go during the byes

4 downgrades/4 mid upgrades before the byes

Cox and Mummy to be captain choices

Cheers</blockquote>

It's a bit late now to say anything other than "best of luck for the season". But for what it's worth I think you'll get hurt while upgrading.
    Right now you have 11 premiums. With luck, Riewoldt might get back to that category. Might.

That leaves you needing 11 upgrades to get a full premium team on the park. Typically, that will mean 2 trades per upgrade, one down, one up. 22 trades out of 24 to get your team right...That doesn't give you a lot of margin for error on selection or injury.

Like I said, good luck, and I hope it works for you, but I seriously think you're in for a tough season.

12. bkp130

bkp130 Member

I think that this tactic could work though for both me and herbie. its definatley hit or miss but it will be interesting to see how they go.

please keep the comments comming

13. AngLee

AngLee Guest

In my B grade team I have done something similar just to test the theory. My thoughts are the likes of Pendle, Swan, Mitchell, Murphy, Boyd, Rockliff will come of &#36;50,000 - &#36;150,000 in the first 6 - 8 rounds. I have a perm capt in Ablett. Started 3 Prem in the Def/Fwd, 2 Pem in Mid and 1 in Ruck. Targetted a few &#36;250k players that I'm hoping will grow to &#36;400k. Also have &#36;1.1mil in the bank to bounce when they are ready.

14. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

bkp, are you going for points, or league win?
    With your structure, I expect you'll start off slowly but make more profit than the average entry,
    your team towards the end should be worth significantly more than rivals, allowing for a strong finish,
    but you'll be a long way behind the leaders, on points.
    Suitable for chasing league win, but not so good for points.

15. bkp130

bkp130 Member

Yeah im only really going for the league win in my work league so it will be interesting how it pans out. Im also contemplating running with 3 rookie rucks and mumford so i can spend more in premium fowards. worked out i can have all my backs as premiums and all but 2 fowards premiums. still undecided though