Ablett Recovery to be Halved

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Gonaddz, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

GARY Ablett has set himself the challenge of missing only one game and will wear a knee brace for a week and clock up hour after hour in ice baths in a bid to halve his time on the sidelines.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/icemans-warming-up-for-quick-return/story-fn6z3p5k-1226336518401

This man is a machine, this kind of news has to put a smile on some peoples faces.

2. graeme

graeme Guest

hope this comes to pass - it is sad that the non-believers can reverse their trading out of the little master / perma captain

3. ls26a

ls26a New Member

Good news, but on the other hand I was hoping he would miss a couple so I could downgrade to Treolar with the hope of trading him back in after 3-4 weeks with treolars value rising while abletts potentially having dropped.

4. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Treolar should raise in value but have no idea on how much and how many games he will get as GWS will have 6 changes coming up it could go either way.

5. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Going for league win rather than points, even though currently ranked in the top 2k,
    was considering trading Gaz out, knowing my opponents will keep him on the pine,
    could conceivably snag the next 3-4 league wins with ease,
    the whole plan backfires if he returns in 2 weeks though, so still undecided...
    Anyone remember the Sandi saga last season? where "I'll be back next week" dragged on for 6?

6. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

fidelsfinger good point if you are going for league then I bet you want GAJ to have a little holiday so you can reap the rewards. It doesn't hurt me either way as I have a pretty solid team and am currently 1st in my league for the first time but I know I'll be knocked off just as soon people figure out my style of play.

7. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Going for league, my plan's to trade hard early,
    get into a strong position,
    be at least 7-1 by round 11,
    assess bye rounds by keeping tabs on opponents preparedness,
    pick 2 byes to win and concede 1,
    be 9-2 going into round 14, with 9 trades in hand,
    then cemented in the top 4, be tight on trades rounds 14-19, only trading for injuries,
    being not phased dropping a few games then, as long as top 4 is safe,
    hoping for a decent enough run there to be able to have 4-5 trades in hand for finals.

8. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

Hey, I really like that game plan by trading hard at the start as most people try to say as many trades as they can. I'm down to 19 trades and plan on trading to keep a full strength team without dealing with any doughnuts. Kinda why I jumped off Fyfe as any hesitation would see that player sent on their way. SC has to be played with emotions at the sideline as we know double guessing ourselves is never a pleasant option.

9. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Gonaddz on April 24, 2012, 17:48
    GARY Ablett has set himself the challenge of missing only one game and will wear a knee brace for a week and clock up hour after hour in ice baths in a bid to halve his time on the sidelines.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/icemans-warming-up-for-quick-return/story-fn6z3p5k-1226336518401

This man is a machine, this kind of news has to put a smile on some peoples faces.</blockquote>
    Great news. Thanks for this Gonaddz. Great to see you contributing stuff mate.

10. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Hasn't he got bruised bones including kneecap and some tissue damage? 1 week my ass.

11. Midge001

Midge001 Member

<blockquote>Quote from Rufus on April 24, 2012, 22:48
    Hasn't he got bruised bones including kneecap and some tissue damage? 1 week my ass.</blockquote>
    Ever heard of a guy called Lance Franklin?

12. Dino

Dino New Member

<blockquote>Quote from ls26a on April 24, 2012, 19:16
    Good news, but on the other hand I was hoping he would miss a couple so I could downgrade to Treolar with the hope of trading him back in after 3-4 weeks with treolars value rising while abletts potentially having dropped. </blockquote>

I really can't see Gaz dropping in value. He has a B/E of 107. He will get that easily and rise in value.

13. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Depending on the extent of his injury & especially if he insists on returning ahead of schedule opposed to medical expert opinion,
    his minders still have a duty of care, regardless of how adamant & brave & brilliant he may be,
    it's most probable he'll be out for 2 & also possible he may be subbed in his return match.

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

you reckon they'll sub Ablett?

15. Moblets

Moblets New Member

haha reckon thats a big fat no anthak. when he's fit to play he will tear it up like normal.

16. Rufus

Rufus New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Midge001 on April 24, 2012, 23:56
    Hasn't he got bruised bones including kneecap and some tissue damage? 1 week my ass.</blockquote>
    Ever heard of a guy called Lance Franklin?</blockquote>

Yes.

GC havnt won a game, not like they are playing finals, seems stupid to rush their marquee player back. My mate used to live with Ablett and he'd get home at 2AM sometimes after matches coz he would put so much effort into recovery, but 1 week seems completely unrealistic.

17. Gonaddz

Gonaddz Member

I think the half factor is 2 weeks to return not 4 weeks to recover. But very possible after all look at Fyfe, people were saying "Out for the season" and he looks like he will play this week.

18. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from Midge001 on April 24, 2012, 23:56
    Ever heard of a guy called Lance Franklin?</blockquote>

Do you seriously think he would have played that soon if it was during the H&A Season?

19. Muppets

Muppets Member

Perhaps not STK but players want to play and if Ablett thinks he can contribute close to his usual level he'll be pushing hard to play. Also, GC aren't going to play finals. They're going for wins, any win. For that reason they'll want Ablett out there as well.

That being said, if he's not healed enough then it doesn't matter, he won't play. I'll be keeping GAJ. I hope Fyfe doesn't play so I can trade him without much thought.

20. Rufus

Rufus New Member

My thinking is reversed to yours Muppets. Im thinking Fyfe will play and Ablett be out longer than what he's claiming.