Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Bearfly, May 3, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Finally, Adelaide has dragged itself out of the dark ages and backed a positive development for a change - footy in the heart of the city will be a reality - this can only be good for both SA clubs and for the SANFL, SACA & AFL!!!

HISTORIC NIGHT: 80.37% of SACA voters have supported the proposed redevelopment of Adelaide Oval!
    http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/112907/default.aspx

SACA members have supported the proposed Adelaide Oval redevelopment in an historic outcome.

In an extraordinary result that went against the tips from pundits, SACA President Ian McLachlan has announced that 80.37 per cent of voters had backed constitutional changes needed to pass the development.

The overwhelming vote paves the way for football to return to the city.

A 75 per cent absolute majority was needed for the proposals to be carried forward.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Good news Bearfly. Thanks for posting.

3. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

No more of that dump at AAMI stadium. A big thankyou to the SACA members who had the foresight to look at the bigger picture and think what the Adelaide Oval redevelopment could do to the city itself. It will completely revitalise the area surrounding the River Torrens.

I have been to the members nights on the Adelaide Oval upgrade and the ground will be magnificent once it is finished. The changerooms will be in the southern stand (now the Bradman stand). You will be able to watch your team warm up from looking above on the mezzanine floor. 75% of seats will be undercover. You will still be able to stand on the hill if you want to.

Without this move to Adelaide Oval, I was beginning to fear for the future of Port as we are getting ripped off with the current stadium deal at AAMI Stadium. But now this will secure our long term future and there will be a signicant increase in crowd numbers at games.

Looking forward to smashing the Crows in round 1 in 2014.

4. WillS

WillS Member

Steve,

The design sounds brilliant, and it has restored some of my faith that Adelaide can push through a major development to the benefit of the state.

I'd be interested to hear how the Adelaide Oval deal will benefit the clubs.

We hear in the media that it will be beneficial to both SA clubs financially, but not why.

How bad is the deal we are currently getting, and how will the move to Adelaide Oval improve it?

5. Bearfly

Steve & WillS

Finally we'll get away from playing at Crow Park!!!

Now the only thing that concerns me is the recent talk about the Crows building their headquarters next to Adelaide Oval.
    As far as i'm concerned, the SANFL should insist they keep their HQ at West Lakes where they've heavily invested - they'll still have an oval to use - that way Adelaide Oval remains a completely neutral venue where both clubs play home games and train at in the lead up to home games.
    Allowing the Crows to build their HQ there would just take us back to the situation we have at Footy Park, a Crows home ground that Port supporters would hate going to.

One thing that i'm looking forward to is the fact that when the redevelopment is finished and footy is there, i'll be able to catch the bus from Port Lincoln on a Friday morning, get into Adelaide around 6pm and walk to the stadium to see a Friday night, then stay in the heart of the city before hopping on the bus back home Saturday morning - can't wait for it to happen :)

6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Good news BF. Agree totally on maintaining the neutrality.

Should become a mini-MCG, close to the city, transport, dinner, accommodation, easy airport access, etc. How many hours from PL to Adelaide?

7. Bearfly

Only 10.5 hours by bus TiB - am used to the trip now after living here for 15 years and regularly going to Adelaide to see my family - saves the hassle & expense of driving myself (can bus it for about half the cost) & refuse to fly mainly due to over inflated costs on such a short flight!!!
    Am really looking forward to games at the Oval, always love sitting on the hill under the scoreboard having a beer or three :)