Andrew Krakouer

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Holey, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Holey

Holey Moderator Staff Member

Is anyone else surprised by the love being shown for Andrew Krakouer?

Well entrenched in the top 10 most selected players, and at $200k how certain are coaches that he is going to play?

Would like to hear peoples thoughts...

2. lezyeoh

lezyeoh New Member

Got a mate who is "supposedly" in the inner circle down at "no-teeth" land...and he is pretty certain he's going to be in the best 22.

3. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

I am surprised. He hasn't actually shown anything at AFL level since coming back, and dominating the WAFL doesn't necessarily mean he will do well in the AFL. Especially since he will probable play in a pocket for large portions of the matches. Also, there aren't exactly many SC points up for grabs at Collingwood. Too risky imo, you're better off going for a rookie who will likely average more than him.

4. LiQuiD_SiXx

LiQuiD_SiXx Active Member

I'm just as surprised as you Holey. I seriously doubt he will get a game early, if at all this season. Unless the Pies get into injury trouble.

With youngsters like Dick, Goldsack, Blair, Macaffer, McCarthey all fighting for a place in the best 22, plus the strength of their midfield rotation, I just don't see it happening.

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'm not surprised he has love.

First he plays for Collingwood
    Second he's pretty cheap for someone who has played league footy before
    Third he is in the forward line which isn't completely chock full of standouts
    Fourth he smashed out one of the largest SC scores ever in the WAFL GF, so we know he can turn it on
    Fifth he has been earmarked to spend some time in the Collingwood midfield
    Sixth Leon Davis has been seen training as a rebounding defender meaning the competition for a spot has eased

I think his biggest issues are going to be his tank (but the Pies rotate better than any other side) and the competition for a spot - though the Davis HBF move is an interesting left field idea.

Ruddy, I think you're probably better off going for a rookie only because the chances of getting a better PROFIT are there. I think Krakouer if fit and getting a game will average more than all the rookies there, the thing is to get the extra 100k profit, he'd have to average considerably more, maybe 15 points, and there is the logic behind not getting him.

Mind you if he smashes it in the NAB Cup, tell me anyone who won't have him in there next to Petrie.

6. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

As it stands I've got Prestia and Krak battling it out for my F7 spot. NAB will answer all.

7. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

I had Krak in SC & DT, but since he was a bench player, I have gone for Tapscott..
    I know he is injured ATM, but as a bench player, I can wait..

8. spud

spud New Member

+1 to what Lucas said.
    If he shows enough in the NAB to suggest he can score enough to have a chance at becoming a keeper then the extra coin may just be worth it. But if he's looking more like producing "cash cow only" scores then a rookie will likely be a better choice for cash generation.

9. austin

austin New Member

I'm not as keen on him as I was now that he costs 200k. I will have to wait and see for the NAB but he will have to do pretty well for me to get him.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I still think the intriguing point about Krakouer is the change in Leon Davis' role.

If Leon does play in and backward of centre I can see him being quite damaging.

It was his ball use in 2009 for inside 50s that made him dangerous. He ended up with as many score assists and more goals from playing midfield than he did playing sole forward.

It was the role more than the player that caused Leon to decline, unfortunately in the end the media got hold of him, the confidence went south and Mick needed the extra defence option to curb Goddard (e.g. 2V to God, release Goldsack into defence).

Against another team like Geelong you needed the Sack because Johnson played defensive mid rather than on Milne...

But against the Dogs he was a certain starter.

Not wanting to derail the conversation on the Krak, but I think this year it's him v Dick for a regular Pies role in the pocket (and average around the 70 ppg) with Leon THE one to watch in the NAB.

11. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

12. DAZZLER

DAZZLER New Member

MMM, intersting, calved it up at Gotch's paddock today..
    4 goals out of the Midfield

13. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I wouldnt get too excited about an intraclub match missing similar players such as Alan Didak, Dayne Beams and Tyson Goldsack.
    I still have concerns about him being in best 22 and his price moreso. there are better options that are cheaper IMO. but I will still be watching him in the NAB

14. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Anyone else notice how it seems to be the cheap fantasy relevant players that all seem to be coming out of these matches getting all the attention? Krakouer, Callinan, Duigan, Puopolo, I.Smith, etc. It seems to me as though they are getting all the media attention, but it doesn't mean they outperformed other players, or that the other players were actually going as hard as them. They need to earn their spot, the senior players already have theirs, so no need to try that hard, just get some conditioning up.

Not saying that Krakouer didn't play well, or is isn't a good option, just something i've noticed. Could be the Barlow factor, all the media outlets are looking for the next Barlow.

15. Jet

Jet Member

On Perth radio Langdon was talking up Krak, saying that he's in far better physical shape than he has ever been before. With 100 AFL games up his sleeve, in a team where supply to the fwd line will be ample I reckon he's a good pick.

16. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Also with Krakouer, a young bloke by the name of Jack Perham starred with 6 goals. Recruited from East Fremantle with pick 58 of the rookie draft. Anybody from the west know anything about this bloke?

17. Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift New Member

@ Ruddy - It happens every year, they only do articles on the new recruits to the club. Could be a way of getting memberships to clubs, "having the best pre-season every" is the cliche' used by every club at this time of year. Haha! :D