andy otten the perfect sub!!! nooo

Discussion in 'AFL' started by damnfunky, Mar 23, 2011.

1. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/craig-says-otten-is-perfect-sub/story-e6frf9jf-1226026235958?from=public_js

hmm guess I might bench him and have lower and duigan starting

2. crew

crew New Member

Sad thing is he wont be the only one. Worse is the coaches dont kow as yet what the perfect plan is for this so what hope have we got ??. Hope this dies along with the bye lol. Having said that it wont be a predictable season lol.

3. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

yes it wont be fun to see one of your players with the green vest on at the start. sounds bad but i think I wont be sad if a player not in my team goes off with an injury and they are forced to use them as the sub that comes off the field, instead of one of my supercoach players.

do they nominate the player who is starting as the sub when they name the team?

4. crew

crew New Member

@ Damnfunky. Take a wild guess lol. :p

5. damnfunky

damnfunky New Member

:) I deserve that

6. crew

crew New Member

LOL . Tongue in cheek mate. :)

7. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

There are two players in every team, every week, who will be affected by the substitute rule. From what I can see, everyone is concerned about who starts with the sub-jacket on - but what about the spud who is going to be subbed off - the one who didn't get injured before 1/2 time?

8. snoz

snoz Moderator

Jason ~ You've hit it on the head....the Sub Rule will obviously affect us all, but it will giveth & it will taketh away - most likely it will all even out in the end.

It might not necessarily be a spud that comes off in the 3rd either....it could be a structure thing...need a runner, need a tall etc depending on the flow of the game.

As for SC ~ we will all have some players subbed off during the year, and their score/money will be affected. Likewise though, we will be able to nab some gems that have been subbed off for whatever reason as well.

Its for this reason that I see the Sub Rule as 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Completely out of our control, we'll lose some $$ but gain some cheaper players because of it as well.

9. snoz

snoz Moderator

Is Robbie Tarrant a like for like swap for Otten?

Less talent perhaps, just as injury prone, but far more job security...

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I suppose R Tarrant's JS is better due to North's injuries.

I took Heppell out a little while ago to free up cash and he could be a potential swap for Otten.

Between the 3 of them, you could adopt a wait a see approach. Take the most expensive (Otten) and if he's being subbed every week, jump on Heppell/Tarrant before the 3rd match. Use one of your 'emergency' trades.

That is only if the different between having/not having Otten could give you an upgrade to a completely different player somewhere else. For example, in my DT, it allows me to go Higgins to Rioli.

11. soups

soups New Member

I got rid of Otten on the back of that article.

at least if it proves to be a mistruth I can downgrade my D6 to Otten and pocket some cash to spend elsewhere

12. snoz

snoz Moderator

I think thats the best idea Nick.

Have had Otten in there for 2 mths...one stupid comment from Craig now has everyone (me included) scrambling for cover.

Sit back, watch and see what happens....Robbie might do very well, in fact outplayed Otten by quite a margin in the PS....so he could always be a 3rd Rd switcheroo...or some other smokie that has yet to appear.

As a plus, Otten might just have become a POD now too.

13. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

I think its a pretty big concern though. Given has less then impressive preseason and the fact he has been earmarked to be the sub. Add the fact he is coming back from a pretty big injury and you can see why they might run with him as the sub.

14. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

I recall last year there was that rule of thumb for trades: use them only to make $100K or thereabouts or increase a position's points per game by 20. Given the similar pre-season of Heppell and Otten, I think I'm going to do the reverse of Nick's strategy and start with Heppell. If Otten doesn't get subbed (and looks to gun it) then trade Heppell to Otten by round three. That way I will also have $40K in the bank for round 1 and 2 to trade up in another position if a similar scenario appears, ie: Reece Conca fires up in the mids.

15. snoz

snoz Moderator

Was it last year with the Goddard or Ablett injury rumour with 48 hrs to go that had all the forums on all the sites going crazy in the last day leading up to teams....

I know that THIS is an Otten thread, but this mess has taken over now, hijacking threads left, right & center LOL

We are all bonkers :)

16. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

I understand your point stkildathu-nda, but isn't that what preseason is for? To get your players up to match speed and ease injured players back into the team?

I for one will not be trading him! He is with out a doubt (when fit) in they're best 21, no way would any coach start one of there best 21 as a sub purely because it provides "more flexible cover". I also don't think he was saying Otten or Stevens would be subs at all, just that, that type of "flexible player" would be ideal. I would be shocked if he dosen't start round 1.