Beams

Discussion in 'AFL' started by rbat, Jun 29, 2012.

1. rbat

rbat New Member

A lot of people are saying he is a forward only upgrade, can anyone explain to me why?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Because there are MIDs who will finish the season with a higher average than Beams, but not many FWDs who will finish the season with a higher average.

You should be looking to finish your team with the best of each line, and if you have Beams in MID rather than FWD, that would mean that both lines will have an overall average slightly below best-possible target.

3. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

4. rbat

rbat New Member

Thanks very much, that does make sense. Do you think the boat has sailed for Watson?

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Hardly matters just get him in your team. If you already have a fully upgraded forward line and want to conserve trades, I see no problem with getting him into your mids, and swinging him forward at a later stage.

He's in the mix for top 10 mids from here on in his current form.

To put Jason's comment in perspective though, he's the P3 forward, and the difference between him there and a normal F8 might be 30 points vs a mid who might be only 5 to 10 points worse if that.

6. Lucas

On Watson, you can get him in, he's a solid pick who will have minor downs, the only query has been injury for him but he's been bulletproof this year, and the Dons need him to win every game.

He's not the best value, but sometimes you have to pay for quality (I will be unloading to get Ablett again this week)

7. Tigertime

Tigertime New Member

The versatility that a Beams (or Dangerfield/Pavlich) adds to the midfield if you have say Gibson and Old Mac is something to think about. Injuries will happen between now and the end of finals so potentially covering a donut in the forwards or vice versa could outweigh the 5-10 more points a S. Thomson or J. Selwood would get over Beams. Beams may even match them given recent form.

I totally understand getting the best mids in and like Lucas, will be unloading next week to get Ablett back in. If you are low on trades though and dont have a current M/F link, it may be a better idea to go with one of them.

Or even getting the bottomed out premiums who have that link to enable flexibility down the track.

For example,

1. Pavlich ($486,000) + Goodes ($435,000)(R16)
    2. Ablett ($645,000) + $276,000

As I said, im getting Ablett as he is....G Ablett. But I think it is important to look at these options given the injuries and potential restings that will occur. Hard to prepare for those situations I know but if we all did the same thing then this Supercoach caper would be boring.

8. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

Think there is a danger with someone like Beams given Sidebottom, Pendles, Thomas and Swan will be taking points off him. Having said that, think his role is the ball-winning one a la Luke Ball, and if anyone loses points to the others it will be Sidebottom.

9. rbat

rbat New Member

Thank you Tigertime, I appreciate your discussion about Beams. I think he has been really impressive of late and I was thinking of that link as I do have many forwards that can swing to the middle to hopefully cover in case of injury/suspension.

Lucas, you raise an interesting point. There is no reason I can't bring in another midfielder later on closer to the finals and swing Beams forward. Something to think about.

Astro39, it seems that they can't tag everyone. So one of them seems to have a huge game and then others will have a smaller SC score. I have strong opponents these next 3 weeks and just want to win after 2 straight losses over the byes. Just don't know who to choose!

10. Lucas

Astro/Rbat
    3300 leaves 650-750 for Beams/Sidebottom/Pendles/Swan/Thomas and the rest can suit themselves.

11. rbat

rbat New Member

Lucas, does that mean there is enough for all?

12. jb

jb New Member

Dale Thomas isn't even in the same league as Pendles & Swan. He hasn't even proved he is in the same league of Beams & Sidey. Take out his game v the Suns and he has only gone 100+ once this year!

But this thread is about Beams not Daisy & imho he is def the Pies 3rd best SC player & possibly 2nd best Fwd in the comp & a lock if you can afford the cash and have the trades from dodging all the injuries this year.

13. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

^ ^ that's a fair comment but there are only a certain number of points on offer each game. Collingwood easily have the most talented list (especially in the midfield) in the entire competition - I have Beams, Swan and Pendles in my team but have held off from getting Sidebottom basically because I think the other 3 will score better. Agree Beams is a lock for the forward line, which is where most of us have him.

Having said all that I don't think you can go too far wrong having Sidebottom in your team - just think for me he's going to get a lot more attention from here on in and thus his huge scores might be behind him for this season. Beams is ahead of him as far as I'm concerned.

As for Thomas he's been injured this year but had some big scores last year - because of the Pies talent he's one that may go unmarked by opposition taggers and could rack up big points impacting on his team mates.