Ben Jacobs set to debut

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Bearfly, May 13, 2011.

1. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Heads up folks, the news everyone has been waiting to hear - Ben Jacobs is set to debut against the Swans this week!!!

With his M/D DPP status, he'll be a tasty downgrade target for many - and going on his form for the Magpies in the SANFL he should be capable of performing at AFL level.

Last weekend he played his 2nd SANFL League game straight after 1 earlier reserves game, and had another solid hit-out.

His stats for R6 SANFL match v WWT Eagles read - 23 kicks, 5 h/balls, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 1 I-50, 5 R-50's

What these stats do not say is that he had 13 disposals in the 3rd Q which helped get the Magpies back in the game - also a very good Kick:H/Ball ratio.

Will be good to have a look at him having a run this weekend.

Also, my apologies for not getting my proposed post regarding Port's players SANFL performances up yet - been a bit crook the past couple of days, then had internet issues yesterday.

I should be able to get it posted later this evening.

2. stowie

stowie Moderator

Fantastic stuff again Bearfly. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

3. Midge001

Midge001 Member

JS now that he's in?

4. Bearfly

@Midge

He's very highly regarded within the club and coaches love his work ethic - was earmarked to play in R1 of NAB Cup until struck down with glandular fever.

I believe he will have good JS considering how O'Shea has managed to hold his spot until hit with shoulder injury.

Would've personally preferred they gave him one more run in SANFL considering he'll be debuting against Swans at SCG - but they'll give him every chance to cement his spot in the side.

5. snoz

snoz Moderator

Appreciate the work Bear.....many thanks....good luck to the kid in his debut.

6. Midge001

Midge001 Member

Thanks for the info Bear, really appreciated. Leaning to taking a punt on him due to a lack of defender downgrades, this has helped a lot.

7. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

great effort Bear, been loving your updates all along.

8. OldFart

OldFart New Member

Big chance for sub me reckons.

9. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Cheers mate! Good to see Jacobs getting a go, I think it might help a few people out since Hird seems unable to give Hibberd a real go. And thanks for the stats from the SANFL, helpful to know!

10. easty01

easty01 New Member

Great work, Bear - appreciate the info ;)

11. Fez

Fez Moderator

Big backline issues in DT, want to downgrade Grimes and Upgrade Curnow, is it a risk jumping on him before he plays, also if picked up he would be starting on the field due to Duigan Otten Gibbs Toy not playing

12. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

@ Fez, I picked up Jacobs this week as a downgrade from Grimes. Port will want to get games into him this season so his JS will be very high. I must admit I was surprised when they named him for the Swans game. I thought they would hold him back another week in the SANFL and let him make his debut at home next week against Freo.

From all reports (I have yet to see him play in the SANFL), he is a very similar player to Luke Hodge. Raking left foot kick and is prepared to go in and get the hard ball. Just what we need.

13. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Thanks BF, have roped him in for Grimey.
    Get well soon.

14. Bearfly

@ Steve - Agree 100%, Jacobs JS will be very solid considering he is highly regarded by the coaching staff and he has proved his ability in his 3 SANFL games. Am also surprised they brought him in this week - thought along the same lines as you, that they'd give him one more run with the Maggies before a home debut against Freo - but obviously they believe he is up to the task of playing the Swans over there!

@ Old Fart - Would be very surprised if he is used as the sub, Port need players on field who have the ability to find the ball and also put themselves in position to receive the ball from team-mates.

@ Fez - Jacobs should score better than Toy has been, and even match the scores that Otten and Duigan have been averaging - impo!!!

15. Midge001

Midge001 Member

I've decided that Jacobs will also be making his debut on the ground for my in D7. Here's hoping he pulls out an Isaac Smith style debut and makes me a happy man.

16. AntB

AntB New Member

Has sub written all over him.

17. Sainter

Sainter New Member

This is a match in my league, both teams are missing players with the bye and wont have a full team, who will come out on top?

BLUES 2011 (7TH)
    BACKS: Goddard/Murphy/Mattner/Duffild/Nicoski/Lower/A.Johnson
    MIDFIELD:
    Swan/DalSanto/Ball/Ablett/Hodge/Liberatore
    RUCKS:
    Ottens/McCauley
    FORWARDS:
    Pavlich/Franklin/Goodes/N.Rieoldt/Darling/Krak/Retzlaf

VS

WINNING FORMULA (10TH)
    BACKS:
    Deledio/Heppell/Rawlings/Lower/Buckley
    MIDFIELD:
    Watson/Swan/Mundy/Priddis/Selwood/Atley
    RUCKS:
    Cox/McEvoy
    FORWARDS:
    Pavlich/Fyfe/J.Riewoldt/Goodes/Franklin/Tappy/Darling

18. don

don New Member

Did anyone see how Jacobs went on the weekend?

19. Fez

Fez Moderator

Didn't see the game at all but 38 sc points, bought him in so hope he stays and improves on that in a big way

20. jb

jb New Member

Saw some highlights of the game which didnt feature much of him which was a shame. His stats for what they are worth were not too bad. 14 possies 12 kicks 2 hb. Eff @ 43% a tad low but first game. If he ups the tackle count (1) and contested possies he should bring his SC score up to a decent level to make some $.
    Bonus is MPP & the Port fans are all saying his JS is very high which is crucial with these cows.