Bench or Start

Discussion in 'AFL' started by GeneralHodge, Apr 8, 2011.

1. GeneralHodge

GeneralHodge New Member

Thought it would be good to start this thread for people who want advice on who to bench and who to start (ok me but others as well lol).

So if you don't know who to bench or start post it in here.

My problem this week is out of Lower, Duigan, and Otten.

Leaning towards benching Duigan as I like where both Otten and Lower are named on the ground this week and don't like having Duigan up against the pies. Problem is that both Lower and Otten have the big possibility of being subbed.

2. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Yeah this is what is making us double think every selection I reckon, the "bloody sub" concerns!

IMO Duigan as well. I have the same senario in my team. I'm hoping both Lower & Otten even if subbed would have got the points to = or outscore Duigan's 70 odd. Of course there is always a good chance that an injury or another player is subbed off, to leave our boys on the field.

Up fwd I am trying to decide b/ween whether to trade Richardson or Schiender to have bench cover (Rioli also on pine), or take the punt & go without. I have $50 K in bank & money from Gilbert trade means I could go for Dawes for eg. Probably wanting to keep funds to get Chappy in, down the track. Maybe one of Saints new players named would be better option as not many fwd rookies about other than those I've already got. Materia, Dixon also in the mix but would like another weeks look at them.

Have 4 prem fwds & playing + Darling, Krak & Tapscott.
    Leaning towards one trade - Gilbert out for S Martin & no fwd cover for one week.

3. DC

DC Member

Lower should be starting on your field no matter what.

Was only subbed because he copped a knock to the leg that game :)

4. suther

suther Member

@ HeavyMen

re. the Gilbert trade..? (i also have him)

I know Lucas has classed him as terminal, but I am hoping that with Kosi/Stanley available, he will return to his preferred position in DEF and start to pump out what we were hoping from him.

Are you looking to simply avoid the risk that he'll play forward?

5. whufc

whufc New Member

Libba or Heppell on the field this week guys?

6. suther

suther Member

Libba.

7. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Yep, I'm not sure either.

I want Libba on the field as they have GC, but not sure who to bench.

-Heppell
    -Harris
    -Swallow

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I'd bench swallow

9. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

@suther
    Mainly worried about a price drop if he has another stinker. Thought not much point trading in Curnow/Libba 4 Atley & then losing the increase on Gilbert.

If I trade him now I have the dollars banked for a mid or fwd upgrade. Also would like to have Martin in as he looks like a good cash cow but Gilbert my only non firing back prem. & other def rookies going ok for now with the exception of Guthrie which looks like a mistake. ALthough he only needs one more game to at least increase in value.

I could trade Guthrie for Martin but still leaves the Gilbert price drop risk.

Decisions, decisions....if I knew Gilbert was playing back & the Saints playing better then I'd take his 85+ every week!!

10. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Gilberts issue isnt playing forward as he has hardly been up there this year, his issue is he is massively down on condifence and until he finds that he will continue to under perform (i did warn people they shouldnt pick him this year). With the team changes this week it does look like he will play down back yet again. Baker & Blake out of our side who are both backs and Steven, Winmar, Kosi, Schneider, Stanley, Smith on extended bench who are all forwards/mids. Probably fair to say the experiment is over and only expect him to pinch hit up forward every now and then, which ive always believed was the correct way to use him...

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Oh and any ideas on which 4 i should start:

Curnow
    Harris
    Ward
    Foley
    Heppell
    Krakwhore

already got Vince & Boak starting... Leaning to benching Krakwhore & Heppell....

12. CHUD

CHUD New Member

<blockquote>Quote from stkildathunda on April 8, 2011, 11:17
    Oh and any ideas on which 4 i should start:

Curnow
    Harris
    Ward
    Foley
    Heppell
    Krakwhore

already got Vince & Boak starting... Leaning to benching Krakwhore & Heppell....</blockquote>

got a similar problem stkildathunder. if tonights match is close, i can easily see krakouer getting subbed due to running out of puff. ive got curnow, harris and heppell all playing. though im worried about curnow up against magpies high pressure midfield...

13. Strawney

Strawney New Member

Is it worrying that Libba this week is listed as on the interchange and not starting on the field?

Wouldn't Swallow be a certain not to be subbed where Libba is iffy?

14. suther

suther Member

@ Heavyman - he's averaging 79.50, so is not far off your 85 mark even with a disaster game last week.

I admit that I have been considering the greener grass also, but don’t want to disregard the 100pts the week before. We can judge too quickly in this game and this trade feels a little nervy.

The only reason i'll trade his ass is that I am still in contention and may feel I need to ameliorate his risk to stay up there.

That said, I agree the Gilbert experiment is dusted and will be sticking with him. But if he costs me a shot at the title i'll be dirty..

15. HotPiesColdDrinks

HotPiesColdDrinks Member

Hmmm, Libba on the bench? I'm worried about that now, I wanted him on to score big against GC, but will burn me if he is used as a sub.
    I personally don't see Krakouer being subbed tonight, I think Malthouse probably eased him him, and will probably prefer to rotate his sub between players, I don't see him doing it to the one player 3 weeks in a row.
    On gut instinct, I think it will be Davis for the pies. I think Karakour will play out the majority of the game at least.

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Davis will be subbed at some stage.

Buckley not being there increases the likelihood that this will be the case.

Not sure if Davis will start subbed though. Could be him on the ground playing loose half back until mid third quarter, then replaced by someone like Beams/Sidebottom/Johnson/Wellingham who have been sitting on the pine.

Extravagance of riches, really.

17. Fez

Fez Moderator

Leon Davis to be sub, can come on and play forward back or midfield

18. dazza71

dazza71 New Member

i think you might be right fez BUT im thinking unless theres an injury, krak and davis to be subs, lucky we can wait till it is named. starting to wonder how good a choice krak was

19. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Strawney:
    Yea im bit concerned about Libba, 2nd guessing my on-field choices now, i made a post in the Round 3 forums.

Gut feeling is Libba will be ok and won't b subbed. But there's not guarantee he'll outscore Swallow anyway. Surely GC will pick it up after being raped in the midfield last week.

Also, him starting on the bench could just be like how Geelong name Bartel on the bench sometimes, yet he's on after 3mins when the first rotation happens. Check Rd 3 post, might get some opinions there.

20. Tanksforscully

Tanksforscully New Member

Currently debating Yarran v Darling. Know that you really shouldn't have 300k sitting on the pine but think that Darling has more of chance to get a 60+ score than Yarran versus the Pies....