Best Buys: Getting Serious

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Apr 14, 2015.

By Iain on Apr 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Welcome once again to the Best Buys.

As usual there is no Best Buy for the week, being the second round of the year, but I'm sure plenty of coaches out there will be active on the trade front. As I'm going to be very busy tomorrow the Best Buys is early this time around, so hopefully that gives you all some extra time to consider your correction trades a bit more. This week due to the ridiculous number of players with huge averages we've only included rookies averaging over 50 (except Sinclair, but he's pretty close), and others averaging over 110. That said it's still a massive edition clocking in at around 3,000 words, so make sure you grab a cuppa or a beer and settle in for a big read.

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Kamdyn McIntosh (RIC) DEF 123.9k 94 +91k

After a huge opening round score McIntosh had a somewhat quieter second outing, but is still sitting on an average of 94. This makes him the best defensive rookie option, and with a price rise of over 90 grand on the way he should be an excellent earner for his coaches.

Adam Saad (GCS) D/M 102.4k 89 +90k

Saad has certainly been consistent in his opening 2 games at AFL level, scoring 89 and 90 points respectively and is now facing a price rise of 90 thousand dollars. With D/M positioning and lots of likely game-time he looks set to be one of the better rookies this season.

Adam Oxley (COL) DEF 123.9k 73 +64k
    Oxley was fairly quiet in his first game, but bounced back in a big way in his second racking up 33 disposals on his way to a score of 116. Now sporting an average of 73 he looks set for a price rise of around 64 grand after his next game, and will be a likely trade target for a fair few SCers.

MID-PRICERS

Alex Rance (RIC) DEF 476.2k 134 3.7%

Rance belted out a huge 156 on the weekend in a losing side, bringing his average over the first 2 games to 134. Numbers like that are hard to argue with, and if he can keep his momentum going he will likely increase in value by over 50 grand next week.

Tom McDonald (MEL) DEF 381.1k 123 2%

McDonald has been one of a few surprise packets so far this season, averaging 123 over the first two games for the 2%of coaches that have him. Priced cheaply at around 380 grand and with a price rise of over 60 grand on the way he looks like he could well be an effective stepping-stone if not an elite defender.

Sam Docherty (CAR) DEF 412.9k 121 2.5%

Docherty started the season on fire with a huge score in round one and followed it up with a solid 95 in round two. I still have doubts about his ability to maintain this level of scoring, but for those willing to take a punt he currently sits in only 2.5% of sides and is looking at a 50 grand price rise after his next game.

Cale Hooker (ESS) DEF 424.4k 119 1%

Hooker has been excellent so far this year, averaging 119 and even kicking the winning goal against the Hawks. Fairly well priced and looking at an increase of around 45 grand he could be a great POD pick.

Josh Bruce (StK) DEF 294k 113 0.5%

Bruce had a blinder on the weekend, kicking six goals on his way to 145 SC. This has brought his season's average up to 113 and means he's looking at a price rise of around 70 grand. His score of 81 in the opener is still fairly decent, especially for his asking price, but not many would be expecting him to keep scoring over 100 with regularity.

Jeremy McGovern (WCE) D/F 443.2k 111 4.3%

McGovern had a bit of a downer on the weekend, only managing 77 points after his round one explosion. Still, that means he's averaging 111 for the season and will likely increase in value by around 30 grand next game. A star of the future, especially when the Eagles can get some other defenders on the park, McGovern looks set for a big year.

Sam Fisher (StK) DEF 445.1k 110 2.4%
    Fisher has performed well in the first two games of the season, averaging 110 and providing some good run for the Sainters. His average was certainly boosted by his 121 against the Suns, but has shown over his career that he's more than capable of pumping out some big scores. A decent injury risk, but still worth considering as a POD.

PREMIUMS

Brodie Smith (ADE) DEF 502.8k 130 10.5%
    Smith has been the standout defender so far this year, averaging 130 even after suffering a concussion in the last game. Currently sitting in around 10% of sides and facing a 40 grand price rise he looks a great option, but will need to be monitored during the week to ensure he's going to line up again next match.

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Nathan Van Berlo (ADE) MID 215.6k 92 +65k

NVB is looking like a good pick for cash generation right about now, averaging 92 from the first two games and facing a 65 grand price rise this week. Personally I'm not completely sold on the sideways Cripps>NVB but for those that are it could well be a risk that pays off.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen (ADE) MID 123.9k 88 +83k

Another abbreviation in CEY is also looking the goods for his coaches, averaging 88 and looking at a price rise of about 83 grand. With Adelaide one of the form teams in the comp so far this season CEY looks set to keep getting games, and hopefully keeps his output at a similar level.

Aaron Vandenberg (MEL) MID 127.9k 87 +81k

Vandenberg is only a point behind CEY in average, with 87 and a price rise of 81 grand on the way. A great pick-up for the Dees, and an equally good one for SC so far.

Isaac Heeney (SYD) MID 137.3k 80 +70k

Heeney is another of the pre-season hype rookies to keep performing, averaging 80 and facing an increase of 70 grand after his next match. The Swans are flying and won't be expected to make many changes to a winning team, so if you don't yet have Heeney you'd best jump on.

Darcy Lang (GEE) MID 159.1k 56 +32k

Lang has flown under the radar for most coaches, but an average of 56 and a price rise of 32 grand is a decent return for those that did pick him up. Playing an Ablett-less Suns this week at home the Cats will be looking for their first win of the season, and Lang will most likely remain in the side for a while.

Jack Sinclair (StK) MID 129.4k 49 +31k
    Sinclair has just snuck into the Best Buys this week, averaging 49 and hoping to increase in value by around 31 grand after this week. There are better scoring options in the midfield so far this season, but Sinclair does look at home at the top level and will be overlooked by the majority of coaches.

MID-PRICERS

Dylan Shiel (GWS) MID 509.4k 142 0.9%

Shiel has to come as a big surprise to the majority of coaches, topping the leader board for the season to date with a huge 142 average. Sitting in under 1% of teams he is a massive POD, and will likely not face too much hard-tagging this season with Griffen and Ward ahead of him. Looking at a price rise of almost 55 grand this week, those that picked Shiel pre-season will certainly be happy with that risk so far.

David Mundy (FRE) MID 549.2k 134 0.6%
    Mundy had a massive game against the Cats, pumping out a 150 flat to bring his season's average to 134. In just over half a percent of teams he is a definite POD, with the support on offer around him you can expect him to keep scoring well and could easily remain in the top scoring midfielders over the year.

PREMIUMS

Rory Sloane (ADE) MID 616.9k 139 6.9%

Sloane has continued on from his break-out season last year in style, averaging 139 in the first two games for the near 7% of coaches that picked him. A popular trade-in target this week, primarily as an Ablett replacement, he certainly looks the goods to once again be a top 8 midfielder.

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 657.6k 138 44.7%

Fyfe also had a blinder against the Cats on the weekend, pipping teammate Mundy with a score of 162. In almost 45% of teams currently and an early favourite for the Brownlow, Fyfe is set for another big season.

Jordan Lewis (HAW) MID 588.2k 132 11.5%

Lewis has been outstanding for the Hawks so far, averaging 132 and handily priced below 600 grand. Only 11.5% of coaches have Lewis so far, but expect that number to rise significantly as upgrades and injury trades start to occur.

Adam Treloar (GWS) MID 577.8k 132 4%

Treloar is another POD from the Giants looking set for a big season, averaging 132 so far and sitting in 4% of teams. Again priced well for his average, at just under 580 grand, he won't be looking at a huge price rise in the early rounds so those considering him can afford to hold off if needed.

Josh P Kennedy (SYD) MID 612.2k 128 9.6%

JPK appears to be back to his old tricks, averaging 128 and offering a big presence around the stoppages. Reasonably priced and only facing a price rise of around 10 grand after the next game he is another that can be safely waited on, but generally with Kennedy you know what you're going to get.

Kieren Jack (SYD) MID 552.1k 123 1.2%

Jack has also returned to previous form so far averaging 123 but is also priced a fair bit cheaper than his teammate at just over 550k. Sitting in only 1% of sides he offers great POD value, but with the amount of talent around him it will be interesting to see how the Swans' pie gets divided.

RUCK
    MID-PRICERS

Nic Naitanui (WCE) RUC 488.3k 97 26.3%

Nic Nat has proved his injury issues are now behind him, stating last week that he was feeling ten-out-of-ten and backing it up with a good game on the weekend. Averaging 97 so far and priced at under 500 grand he looks decent value, especially considering there is only one ruckman averaging more and not likely to lose value this weekend.

PREMIUMS

Todd Goldstein (NM) RUC 574.4k 127 21.5%
    And that one ruckman is Todd Goldstein. Goldy put in a huge effort on the weekend to score 154 points, bringing his average up to 127 after his 100 the week before. The clear form ruckman of the comp so far this year Goldy is in less than a quarter of sides, but that will likely change pretty quickly. Also one of the cheaper premium ruck picks, compared to the likes of Jacobs and Mumford, Goldy looks excellent value at 575 grand.

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Jesse Hogan (MEL) FWD 130.4k 82 +74k

Hogan the Hype-machine has lived up to his immense billing so far, averaging 82 for the Demons and providing a valuable forward target. With a price rise of almost 75 grand coming after his next game if he can hit his average, you'd be mad to not be considering him this week if you don't yet have him in your side.

Jaden McGrath (BRI) FWD 117.3k 61 +50k

McGrath has looked reasonably comfortable so far at the top level, averaging 61 and bringing with it a likely price rise of 50 grand after his next game. Some injury concerns at Brisbane are looking promising for McGrath continuing to get games, but as with all rookies there's a decent risk of being dropped or copping a dreaded vest.

Cam McCarthy (GWS) FWD 210.7k 78 +48k

McCarthy has performed well this season, averaging 78 and standing up in the absence of some of the Giants' better known players. Facing a probable price rise of 48 grand he offers decent value, and has some extra time in the system when compared to the other rookie-priced options.

Christian Salem (MEL) FWD 185k 71 +45k

Salem was greatly hyped during the pre-season and has so far backed it up fairly well. While not averaging 100+ just yet he has still put up a couple of good scores to average 71 and will most likely increase in value to the tune of around 45k over the weekend. Facing a tough assignment against Adelaide in Adelaide this week it will be a good test to see where the youngster really is with his game.

Jack Lonie (StK) FWD 117.3k 55 +42k

Lonie has performed solidly without setting the SC world on fire. Averaging 55 and looking to increase in value by around 42 grand he is a good bench option and can hopefully continue to make his coaches money until the byes.

Mitch Clark (GEE) FWD 155.2k 55 +32k
    Clark had a down week after his first-round heroics, scoring just 32 points in the loss to Freo. Still, with an average of 55 he's looking at a price rise of around 32 grand and will be looking to bounce back against the Suns this weekend.

MID-PRICERS

Marcus Bontempelli (WBD) M/F 422.3k 134 30.6%

The Bont bandwagon is gathering steam, after another impressive game on the weekend his average is now 134 and his selection numbers put him in over 30% of the competition. By next week I'd fully expect him to be in closer to half the sides going around, and for very good reason. As a M/F he can be swapped in for Gazza if need be, and will probably increase in value by 66 grand over the coming round. At this stage the closest you can get to a lock for top 6 forwards come season's end.

Matthew Pavlich (FRE) FWD 459k 133 1.5%

The Pav has wound back the clock so far this year, after a disappointing season last year he is averaging 133 from the opening two rounds delighting the 1.5% of teams to have backed him in. Priced at just 459 grand he offers excellent value, if he can keep his average at 110+, but with his age and performances last season that has to be a fairly big if. If he can hit his average, will increase by over 50 grand this week.

Josh J Kennedy (WCE) FWD 425.7k 125 1.9%

JJK exploded against the Blues, kicking 10 goals and racking up a mammoth 178 SC. After a slow start to the year he will be looking to keep his average up over 110 for the season, but personally speaking unless he plays Carlton every week I just can't see it happening. Price rise of 50 grand on the way if he can hit his average this week.

Taylor Walker (ADE) FWD 430.4k 124 13.8%

Tex is another player to have an impressive average, 124, after a huge game and a quieter one in the opening two for the year. Last weekend he only managed 72 which will concern some of his coaches, but if Adelaide can keep their current form going there should be plenty of points to go around. Priced at a similar point to JJK but in considerably more teams, Walker is probably somewhat safer and also looking like going up in value by around 50 grand.

Eddie Betts (ADE) FWD 426.6k 123 2.8%

The fourth forward in a row to be looking at a 50 grand price rise this week, Eddie Betts has performed well for the Crows early days. Averaging 123 after a 92 on the weekend Eddie is in only 2.8% of teams, but probably won't be a particularly popular trade target just yet. Realistically Eddie isn't a great chance to end the season in the leading forwards, but stranger things have certainly happened before in SC-land.

Robbie Gray (PTA) M/F 596.9k 118 51.5%

Gray is showing why he's in over half the teams in competition, averaging 118 for his coaches even while facing a bit more attention from opposition sides. While Gray looks set to decrease in value this weekend, the $250 loss will more than likely be made up for by his 110+ scoring.

Jack Ziebell (NM) M/F 449.6k 116 4.4%

Ziebell had a quiet game in the opener, like almost all of the Roos, but bounced back big-time with a 150 in the last game. Now averaging 116 for the year to date and sitting in under 5% of teams he has good POD potential, but it will still be a while yet before it comes clear just how good an option he is.

Luke Dahlhaus (WBD) FWD 492.7k 110 2.3%
    Dahl has been great for the Dogs, while being overshadowed by teammate the Bont he has still averaged 110 over the first two games and is only 2.3% of sides. On the cheap side for his average at 492 grand he offers good value, and is progressing nicely after a big finish to last season.

WAITING LIST

Everyone else

That's all for the Best Buys for this week, so join us in the comments for thumb polls and general SC chatter.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Cheers BB

I assume a few wil be considering these 2 so may as well have a poll to see who is favoured

TU - Sloane
      TD - Fyfe

2. DC
      DC
      Simply the best... cheers Iain!
    3. Iain
      Iain
      Honorable mentions go to:

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 464.5k 105 +17k 50.2%
      Rory Laird (ADE) DEF 317.8k 102 +51k 1.1%
      Shane Savage (StK) DEF 371.6k 101 +36k 1.3%
      Cameron Shenton (StK) DEF 315.9k 99 +48k 0.4%
    4. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      What to do with Goodes? I can only afford to trade down and the only option is Brown. His scoring won't be special but he will play and therefore could sit at D8 all year. Anyone have any other ideas? I have McIntosh, Oxley and Saad already.
    5. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      One other question - sideways trades of premiums is frowned upon but pending teams I don't have any other major structural probs to fix up. I'm looking at trading Hibberd to Smith. Smith seems guaranteed to be top 6 DEF by the end of the year whereas Hibberd is not (whilst he would still be decent).

Thumbs up: do it
      Thumbs down: hold the trade
    6. Jason
      Jason
      Smith got knocked out in R2 and may not play R3.
    7. Jason
      Jason
      Byrne has been an emergency for Carlton, may get a game soon.
    8. Angpin
      Angpin
      Seriously need some help please!! I have all the performing rookies in the MID/FWD but I also have P Cripps in the MID and Lamb up FWD sitting on the pine. One needs to go....who should go and who is a decent replacement?? I have $100K in the bank. Any ideas please, thanks guys.
    9. Iain
      Iain
      If you have all the performing rookies, why do you need to trade?

You should have plenty of back-up from them, and Cripps and Lamb will not lose any money if they aren't playing so I don't think there's any need to waste a trade on them
    10. Angpin
      Angpin
      PS. Names I'm currently throwing around are:
      Lamb - Salem
      Lamb - McGrath
      Lamb - Honeycrunch
      But I've got nothing for Cripps...and I've a feeling Lamb will play before he does again this season??
    11. Angpin
      Angpin
      Thanks Iain...might be too early to be burning trades. Just don't like spuds on the bench as it makes it harder to upgrade down the track.
    12. Iain
      Iain
      Looking at the list you posted below I think McGrath is the best option, but I'd still at the least wait until after teams are announced. I reckon at least one of the two will be playing this week
    13. TopHeavy
      TopHeavy
      Thanks BB, I'll be getting in Ellis Yolman for C Beams.
      Also looking at Lids to Bonts.
      TU good money saving for a potential top 6 and too good to not get now
      TD Silly sideways trade
    14. Angpin
      Angpin
      I'll definitely wait until the teams are announced. Love to hear your thoughts on:
      Lamb - McGrath or
      Cripps - Melsham (F/M)
    15. Iain
      Iain
      I'd avoid Melksham if I were you, been in the AFL for 5 years and never averaged over 75.

McGrath not a bad option, but personally I'll be keeping Lamb and the trade for later
    16. Angpin
      Angpin
      Appreciate your thoughts Iain, thanks.
    17. Tomster
      Tomster
      Cheers BB. With Gaz and Lambert out, Sloane and NVB probably coming straight in for me. Fairly simple trade week for me I think
    18. Tomster
      Tomster
      Any thoughts on Treloar? He could make the jump to 115+ average by the end of the year and would be a sneaky option for the Ablett trade
    19. thokash
      thokash
      Another Ablett thumbs, I'm sure there will be plenty.

Already have Fyfe, so...

TU: Sloane
      TD: JPK

Wanting a genuine VC or C option. Only Swans/Crows players I have are Heeney and CEY.

Comment if you like Pendles instead!