BOOMER HARVEY

Discussion in 'AFL' started by BrockyFreo, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Alright, Havn't seen much talk about this old guy yet. And yes I realise he is getting a bit old, however it doesn't effect his play.

Boomer Harvey is a consistent 100points, at 480k can anyone throw another player, about the same dollars at me that would be better value? why?

2. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

Didn't really impress in today's game. Normally i love this guy in my team but I am starting to worry about him. Age has to catch up soon

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Rioli is your better option than Boomer for 2011. Pocket a $15k difference in start price also.

4. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

i agree with rioli over harvey but I am finding it hard to start him considering R6

5. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Rioli i find far too inconsistent. Does he try to do nothing every second or third game? Or is it just that he has no heart?

Anyone else?

6. Jason

Ouch. Hawks are talking about running Rioli through the midfield this year, which they weren't last year. That suggests his motor has now got an extra gear that it was previously lacking, which may explain why his SC scores sometimes crashed.

7. crew

crew New Member

They are building Rioli's motor over time and cant wait till he gets a mid gig. Boomer I think like everyone else. He still can tuck and run away from 20yo's but I think he has large risk small reward. With MPP he is tempting though is a tough call.

8. bonesy

bonesy Member

cyril had an interrupted preseason last year and started the season recovering from a groin strain. from round 10 onwards he averaged 114ppg with a low of 80 and only 3 games below 100.

9. spud

spud New Member

<blockquote>Quote from bonesy on February 20, 2011, 21:51
    cyril had an interrupted preseason last year and started the season recovering from a groin strain. from round 10 onwards he averaged 114ppg with a low of 80 and only 3 games below 100.</blockquote>

Correct, Bonesy.
    He was very much being managed through the first half of the season. Most of the "day before game" training sessions that I managed to get to he was standing on the sidelines having a yarn to the assistant coaches or off to one side doing a few ball drills by hand - very much a case of the 120 minutes game time seemed to be enough for his groin without risking it flaring up during training the day before.

Has had a much better preseason and his efforts off halfback and in the middle in both the Nab cup matches and in training have him looking considerably more fit.

The problem for SC'ers will be whether they start him or Franklin as I can't see both being viable with rnd6 - though this is a discussion for the 'forwards' thread.

Onto Boomer, there is no doubting this blokes talents. He is still a gun, however last year his volatile scoring in the opening rounds is enough to scare me off. I remember him scoring what i think was a 7 or a 17 and then having a ridiculous breakeven the week after, which I think he managed to hit? (170ish?)

He may, however, be an option for those who already have enough cats/hawks/dockers players and who want a premium from a team that has it's two byes in non multibye rounds (3&21 - first round of finals for those who like league!)

10. FunkSoulBrother

FunkSoulBrother Member

If he's up to his true from and hasn't dropped off. He is a great pick as Spud suggests re timing of byes and DPP

I really want to pick him. Love him as a player. But I can't make him a lock just yet.

11. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No for me; you know my thoughts on fossils :D

12. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

I employ the no fossil rule as well. Anyone over the age of 30 is a big no!

13. Lucas

Well I have still got Goodes on my watch list...

I guess I might have a "double brownlow exception" rule set up just for him.

14. spud

spud New Member

No BBBH last year, Lucas? (or Fletcher?)
    Or does the fossil rule only apply to the running type of players?

Fair enough re. Goodes I think, sounds like a smart exception to the rule!

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch Boomer.

Has the fossil tag, and imo the only fossil to go with this year is ROK.

16. Lucas

I picked Hall last year and it was a mistake.

The ROK and Scotland are technical fossils as they turn 30 some time this year.

17. Ruddy

Ruddy New Member

Another worry with Boomer is less midfield time. As the likes of Anthony, Swallow, etc. grow as players, and come back from injuries, there will be less time for an oldie like him.

18. Fez

Fez Moderator

Fraser turns 30 this year does he not??

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Fossil rule doesn't apply to rucks. In fact it works in the opposite way.

20. Jason

Anyone looking at Brad Green instead of Harvey? Also 30, but still getting midfield time.