Brisbane Bombers

Discussion in 'AFL' started by JPK, Jul 15, 2011.

1. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me, or are Ian Robson (CEO) and his Essendon club being a bit stupid here?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118522/
    default.aspx

Jumping up and down and saying that your Bombers brand and everything is "exclusive" and no-one else can use it.

Seriously, its a name. A nic-name whats more!

The he goes on talking about being original like the new AFL teams, the Suns and the Giants. I'm pretty-sure there's an NBA team in Phoenix going by the Suns, while there are millions of Giants around the world (the old North Melbourne NBL team comes to mind). Hardly original.

Nor are the colours red and black, Mr Robson. Thousands of teams globally use red and black.

Then lets go with bombers. OK, I can't think of any others by the same name, but the NY Jets (American Football) come to mind. Close enough!

So Mr Robson, you precious little whinger - shut the hell up!

2. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I tend to agree, it's a bit of a molehill - It is amusing that they have gone so unoriginal, I mean, the Bombers as a nickname just isn't used anywhere else. Trying to reverse it, try to imagine the fervour that would have been generated by the Gold Coast Broncos, or the GWS Rabbitoes.

That said, The Bombers is a great nick and I can't blame them for wanting to bask in it's reflected glory ;)

3. 82asch

82asch New Member

West Tigers, Melbourne Tigers, Canterbury Bulldogs it already happens and is no big deal IMO. And as much as I hate to say it 'the Bombers' is a great nickname.

GWS should have knocked off the 'Razorbacks' moniker. Sounds heaps better than Giants.

4. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Here's a pretty solid example. Same sport, same country, same name, formed 5 years before Essendon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapunda_Football_Club

5. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Perfect, Cheers TH.

Now, Ian Robson, STFU

6. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

In fact Kapunda should force Essendon back to the Dons or Same Olds. Or the blood stained .... nah won't go there...

7. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

You beat me to it TH :)

We don't see Collingwood being so precious with all the other Magpies teams around the country do we? And there are plenty of them!

Get a grip Robson and stop being so precious!!!

In light of Angus Wantsfrees admissions this week, maybe Essendon should change their nick-name to the Kamikazes (dive bombers) :D