Brodie Smith

Discussion in 'AFL' started by broge, Apr 15, 2011.

1. broge

broge New Member

Hi I'm considering trading out otten for smith to make some extra coin. Also watched the Adelaide game last week and otten was horrible and i'm pointing my finger at him for my league loss of 14points. Someone needs the chop!!
    What's everyones thoughts on Smith's scoring potential and JS??

2. Like a V6

Like a V6 New Member

yeah i'm also wondering this

1st round 14th draft pick, all australian U-18's

did very well on the weekend, listed as a back but starting in the midfield with the first score only being 38 because he was a sub.
    Not much not to like there...only thing is would be nice to see him play against better terms/more full games first..I'm considering going from Hibberd --> Smith

or the other option is to wait a week and see how Pederson/Toy/Coad go - what does everyone think?

3. octagonal

octagonal New Member

Getting rid of Otten for Smith or Pederson is the big decision for me also. Would love to get the experts view.

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Smith was the sub in the first round, so his score then is pretty good considering.

The fact that he is named on the wing is even more encouraging.

5. Like a V6

Like a V6 New Member

yeah bit of a 50-50 toss up

(1) trading into smith

or (2) waiting a week for pederson who had a 114 point debut to see how he goes and risk missing smith who may score fairly well against port this week

6. DC

DC Member

Smith is fielded for me atm.

But really thinking about bringing on Toy for a full game as he looked really good against the blues in the second half..

Gibbs, Broughton, Grimes, Heppell, Lower, Duigan, Smith

(Toy/Otten/Goddard)

I hate having a choice on who to field for the last spot or two... Having no cover would make it easier (in a way) haha

7. DC

DC Member

broge to answer your question there is no reason why smith cannot play 22 games this year if he keeps that form up.

otten will play week in and out as well and may take time to get going $$$ wise

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Pederson played with no Goldstein and no Petrie. Don't expect him to score 100 again.

9. AchillesII

AchillesII New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Nick on April 15, 2011, 09:45
    Smith was the sub in the first round, so his score then is pretty good considering.

The fact that he is named on the wing is even more encouraging. </blockquote>

He came on early in the first quarter when the porpous did his shoulder.

10. Like a V6

Like a V6 New Member

I pulled the trigger

Hibberd ---> Smith. I like that he's starting in the midfield, and Pederson is a rookie elevated tall in his debut season. Nick makes a fantastic point too with Petrie/Goldstein back.

11. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Like a V6 on April 15, 2011, 09:37
    did very well on the weekend, listed as a back but starting in the midfield with the first score only being 38 because he was a sub.
    Not much not to like there...only thing is would be nice to see him play against better terms/more full games first..I'm considering going from Hibberd --> Smith

or the other option is to wait a week and see how Pederson/Toy/Coad go - what does everyone think?
    </blockquote>

Don't get fooled by Smith being sub in R1, he came on to replace Porps very early in the 1st Q against Hawks, therefore a 38 isn't very flash at all considering the Crows ran over top of them in 2nd half.
    On the other hand, Toy's 1st game was in the thrasing the Suns copped from Carlton in R2 & he was the starting sub & didn't get on till the 3rd Q - considering the thrashing & less game time, imo Toy's first game score is more meritorious than Smith's.
    However, the trouble with Toy is that Bluey is on record as saying that he can see Toy playing between 8-12 games only this season mainly due to his lack of games last year because of school commitments.
    Otten seems to be taking a little bit of time to readjust to the game after being out last season, but he is a classy player when at his best.
    McKernan is a worry though, another below par performance could see him dropped back to SANFL where he could languish for the rest of the season - Crows do have Jacobs on the way back from injury so McKernan's JS is definitely shakier than Smith, Otten & Toy.
    I can definitely see merits in Smith & Toy ahead of McKernan, but I wouldn't be rushing to write off Otten yet.

12. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

From what I have seen so far, Otten is really struggling to adapt to the pace of the game after being out for 12 months. I can see Otten potentially being the sub tomorrow night against Port. I have traded Otten out for Smith. Smith is looking good and will have plenty of opportunites with the Crows long injury list.

I just hope both Otten and Smith, have a quite game tomorrow night!!!!

13. Bradders

Bradders New Member

I have to agree Bearfly. Otten is a quality player and will be asked to step up into the Stevens role this week. I have faith in Andy for at least an 80 against the power.

I will be fielding him ahead of mckernan who I think could do ok too if he clunks some contested grabs around the ground like he did against the hawks.

Traditionally showdowns are bruising encounters and that will test a smaller bodied first year player like smith. If he doesn't get battered too much he could score ok but I would bank on Otten and mckernan scoring more this week at least.

Also i don't think Otten, Smith or mckernan will start as sub as Cook is lucky to even get a game....surely he will be sub!!

14. DC

DC Member

Nice move Like a V6 - You should be able to downgrade into Hibberd after Essendons bye if all works well

15. hippy

hippy New Member

Yeah, interesting dilemma. I'm either going smith this week or waiting to see how coad goes. He hasn't come up much in debate. Key position player. Got a fair bit of it last week. Thoughts?