Bye, Bye Injuries

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TerryinBangkok, Mar 17, 2011.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Saw this on the Twitter thread:

<blockquote>We've all been concentrating on the byes, but injuries could be a bigger issue than ever in 2011. http://goo.gl/AMUkx #afl #supercoach</blockquote>

Not being a twit, don't know the logic behind this, but suspect it has something to do with changes to the bench rule and the effect this has on rotations.

It does however throw up some interesting food for thought.

Rule changes could mean more TOG for some and less for others. Realistically, prems are likely to get more TOG than bench players. Hopefully this evens out for SC scores.

Perhaps we have all been concentrating on the byes, but perhaps that is because they are known and injuries are anyone's guess.

Is it reasonable to conclude that the potential for more injuries is counter-balanced by the potential for less due to the byes themselves? More byes, more rest and recovery time? Do people think it is an issue?

What worries me more is if your nicely fattening cow gets selected as the sub (with no time for you to do anything about it) and you have him as EMG and he doesn't get a run.

2. crew

crew New Member

Yes Terry I think the sub will be without doubt the biggest killer of supercoaches this season.....We can all put opinions forward on it as much as we want but reality is that the coaches really as yet dont know the correct strategy (Roo's Scott for 1). But most weekends we wont know (correct me if I'm wrong) before lockout at least 3 subs before the round starts !!. Thats on top of everything else ....Man gunna be like running flat out through a mine fieldin the dead of night this season.

3. TerryinBangkok

4. Interesting thoughts, I would have thought a player being named as sub and then not playing wouldn't be as bad as being named and then only playing for the last ten minutes which would definately smash their price. For the first time this year we will have to worry about named players getting subbed, not just injured. I have a sneaking suspicuion that Miller at the Tig's could be lined up for a sub role this year

5. TerryinBangkok

@BB

Bit of unknown territory, but you would assume that if someone is selected in the 22 and does not get onto the ground, you cop a donut if you have selected them in your team.

6. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

The idea behind injuries is that players are running around the field more fatigued than they would have been- which leads to them breaking down more. Just from an observational point of view, taking a look at Freo and the Roos over the offseason, who have put the 3-man interchange rule into action, they've worn a bunch of injuries.

Sure, it's circumstantial- and too small a sample size- but it is worth considering. :)

7. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Im actually hoping they adjust a players score based on their TOG. well not actuall TOG, but if they sit out half the game as a sub - the players stats should be doubled, and adjusted the same as everyone else into the 3300 or whatever it is.
    I dont think i have explained this very well, but it is probably nothing more than wishful thinking anyway. lol

8. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

yep- wishful thinking! :D SC points are created to judge a players effect on a game of footy- I can't see Supercoach adjusting anything based on a player getting subbed...

9. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

With only 3 bench players, I can't see many teams not using their sub players... Especially early int the year. Sure reduced game time, but maybe coming on completely fresh in the second half might give an edge?