Bye Rounds - Bite the Donut?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by GaryReal, Feb 13, 2012.

1. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

In choosing my team - and Premiums in particular - the regular obstacle is allowing for the byes (rounds 11,12,13). I'm starting to think maybe I should just bite a donut or 2, anticipating that everyone will probably do the same. Especially in the backline, to only have 2 bench byes each of the 3rounds means I'd have to compromise on so many of my preferred premiums. (eg: Round 13 has most of the best premium defenders).
    Whaddayouthink?

2. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Upgrade your defenders straight after round 13 if you want or cop a few donuts.

3. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Also try to have no ruckman with byes during round 13.

4. Corks

Corks Member

Agree Gary. I'm ignoring the bye rounds at the moment.

The way I see it, at least half my upgrades in a GnR team will be done in rounds 8-11 anyway, so the team will look bloody different to what it is now. there will be 10-13 players replaced from my current lineup come round 11.

The advantage of the mid-year byes is you can still load up on GWS rookies and have them out by the Giants Bye. When replacing cashcows, especially with the downgrade option, you can have one eye on the bye rounds if you're still in overall contention, if not munch a donut or two.

5. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

The only way to plan for a bye involves setting a team up now and planning how much each rookie will make, who you will downgrade them to and which players are your upgrade targets. All this has to be done without any injuries or poor form occurring to alter the plan.

Obviously this is basically impossible.
    For me, I will be ignoring it and addressing the issue a lot closer to the date. There is no sensible way to plan for it right now.

6. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

As has been said above, its impossible to set your team up right now, planning for the bye - too much will change. I'd just select the best defenders you can and want.

Think about it this way, if Goddard, Scotland, and Deledio can each average 8ppg more than a player without a R13 bye (such as Shaw, Enright, and Broughton) then you'll be infront by the end of R13. Those 8ppg over 12 weeks is 96 points, so you'd be nearly 300 points up at the start of R13 with Goddard, Scotland, Delido in your team, and then you'd just have to hope that Shaw, Enright, and Broughton don't score more than 300points between them in R13 to stay infront!

7. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

I wonder if these bye rounds make or break a season for the top echelon...are the best guys really gonna have a way of planning for them now? It IS possible to ensure having 2 premiums each line each bye round - espec using the DPP. I think it's worth keeping an eye on cos the top 500 is often separated by 100-200pts.

8. RAR

RAR New Member

I initially spent a lot of time planning the bye round. I basically figured out that even with the best laid plan and everything working out with injuries that I was going to cop at least 2 doughnuts. I would also be trading off points in terms of selections made to avoid it. I also kept having lots of left over cash as the round 11 prems in forwards and backs just aren't there.

So I have already bit the bullet by picking 3 R13 defenders, 3 R13 forwards, 2 R13 midfielders all prems. So 8 prems means at least 2 doughnuts in R13 for me (no ruck games to cover).

9. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

I guess well all just have to use trades.

10. jibba

jibba Member

Here's an interesting read on how to tackle the BYES from Footy Tragic
    http://www.footytragic.com/blog/analyse-this/analyse-this-surviving-the-dreaded-byes/
    The advice is to make sure you aren't forced to trade in Round 11, and then bite the donuts in Round 12, then use Round 13 to upgrade

11. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Yep, you want 8 bench players in round 11, and a nice balance across 12 and 13.

Then you play it by feel when you get there!

Also, you'll be trading a bunch from now until round 11, so it's mostly your premiums that you don't want to mess up early.

Get your team into TS, and check out how it's tracking on the ticker.

12. thegob

thegob New Member

my gut tells me that the overall leaders this year will do better than others over the bye rounds. I can bet you that people like Impromptu are planning their team in full view of those crucial rounds. Donuts during that time will leave potential leaders undone; ignore at your peril.

13. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Impromptu's had his day in the sun hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

14. @ HeavyMen

Any chance you could post your workings for no donuts in here?

I sat down with a mock team list earlier in the preseason and mapped out the R11-R13 setup and no-matter who I put where with the exception of Lycett and the DEF/RUCs I couldn't pull it off. I'm not doubting your solution, but couldn't work it out myself

15. BlueBoysRule

BlueBoysRule New Member

@wasley
    WHen you say you need 8 bench players by round 11 do you mean 8 benches who don't have the bye that round?

The problem is GWS have the first bye so if you trade in round 11 then those players will get a donut come round 12 and 13.

Is the aim not to trade in round 11? I currently have 7 GWS players and only 2 premiums out for round 11? Should i not trade in round 11. My worst round with premiums out is round 13.

Thanks

16. @ BBR

8 players who have the bye in round 11, so that way you have no emergencies but a full team on the field. If you can manage it then it means no trades needed to avoid a donut in R11 but you need to make trades for R12.

Also there will be a fair few opportunities to upgrade/downgrade players prior to the bye rounds so the important thing is to have the 8 players out for R11 at R11, your team now can be different but ideally in a place where it wouldn't take many trades to get to that

17. Corks

Corks Member

Walesy's spot on - need to check the Ticker for the Bye Rounds for your premiums. R13 is a big problem for me...my cut currently has lots of Carlton, Hawthorn, StKilda and Richmond premiums.

In R13 the players out include Goddard, Ablett, Scotland, Murphy, Judd, Franklin, Mitchell, Suckling, Birchell, Roo, Hayes, NDS, Kruez, Gibbs, Rioli, Roughy, Gibson, Martin, JRoo, McEvoy, Delidio ...just off the top of my head. Good luck selecting your premiums to avoid a donut in that round!

When you go through that list you could do yourself too much damage trying to avoid a donut, so better IMO to just accept a donut or two come R13 unless there are injuries that force a change before then.

18. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

@BB

Rucks

L'berger, Giles, Big O & S Rowe
    Hale in Fwd line

Rest pretty much as per walesy post.
    No more than two prem on any line from same bye round
    Mpps link to players not in same bye round ie

Fwds Martin, Fye & rookies
    Mids Beams & rookies - both fwd mid (2) & mid def (1)
    Backs Scotland/Lids & God

All this is in a perfect world & assuming no inj to playing or bench when needed. It also needs to use all 6 trades pre Rd 12 & 13 & 4-6 pre Rd 11

Maybe the trades will be worth more to hold than say scoring one donut per Rd. Also may prefer a donut to trading in the 2nd best option. Can only wait & see but I think there are enough premium players to get the balance right initially, without forgoing pts.

Backs are a bit thin considering 3 of the top five (God, Lids & Scotland) all have the same bye which makes Shaw a must IMO. Also rucks are a weakness & Hale needs to score 85-90 to make it worth having the extra prem player elsewhere. If Big O & Giles score ok early then a ruck upgrade around Rd 11 is on the cards. Hoping playing Hale as F6/7 & scoring 80-90 & playing either Giles or Big O with Berger works reasonably well, against say two better ruckman & a weaker F6/7

19. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from HeavyMen on February 19, 2012, 01:18
    @BB

Rucks

L'berger, Giles, Big O & S Rowe
    Hale in Fwd line

Rest pretty much as per walesy post.
    No more than two prem on any line from same bye round
    Mpps link to players not in same bye round ie

Fwds Martin, Fye & rookies
    Mids Beams & rookies - both fwd mid (2) & mid def (1)
    Backs Scotland/Lids & God

All this is in a perfect world & assuming no inj to playing or bench when needed. It also needs to use all 6 trades pre Rd 12 & 13 & 4-6 pre Rd 11

Maybe the trades will be worth more to hold than say scoring one donut per Rd. Also may prefer a donut to trading in the 2nd best option. Can only wait & see but I think there are enough premium players to get the balance right initially, without forgoing pts.

Backs are a bit thin considering 3 of the top five (God, Lids & Scotland) all have the same bye which makes Shaw a must IMO. Also rucks are a weakness & Hale needs to score 85-90 to make it worth having the extra prem player elsewhere. If Big O & Giles score ok early then a ruck upgrade around Rd 11 is on the cards. Hoping playing Hale as F6/7 & scoring 80-90 & playing either Giles or Big O with Berger works reasonably well, against say two better ruckman & a weaker F6/7
    </blockquote>

Doesn't make sense. Hale and Rowe share the same bye. You'll still be donut munching come r12

20. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

The games during the bye rounds are as follows:-

ROUND 11
    Carlton vs. Geelong Cats (ES) (N)
    Richmond vs. Fremantle (MCG)
    Gold Coast SUNS vs. St Kilda (MS) (T)
    Essendon vs. Sydney Swans (ES) (N)
    Port Adelaide vs. Hawthorn (AS) (T)
    Melbourne vs. Collingwood (MCG)

ROUND 12
    West Coast Eagles vs. Carlton (PS) (N)
    Adelaide Crows vs. St Kilda (AS) (N)
    GWS GIANTS vs. Richmond (SK)
    Gold Coast SUNS vs. North Melbourne (MS) (N)
    Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions (MCG) (E)
    Western Bulldogs vs. Port Adelaide (ES) (T)

ROUND 13
    Sydney Swans vs. Geelong Cats (SCG) (N)
    Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions (ES)
    Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles (MCG) (T)
    Fremantle vs. Essendon (PS) (N)
    Melbourne vs. GWS GIANTS (MCG)
    North Melbourne vs. Adelaide Crows (ES) (T)

Will the ease or difficulty of our premium player's games effect our decisions of whom to select given that we need to maximize points during those rounds?