Bye Rounds - Its time to THINK

Discussion in 'AFL' started by GaryReal, May 15, 2012.

1. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Any new trades need to be very carefully done.
    The incoming rookies such as bubblers Spurr, Brennan, Wilkes, Saad have unimpressive job security and also scoring ability, meaning they are just as likely to add another donut each week during the bye rounds.
    Good team management does not have a wasted player, either on the field OR bench.

Other key factor is that the GWS rookies have been quite reliable, and may well come in handy rounds 12-14 because i don't think many new rookies-to-play have much potential (espec with the substitute rule). A reliable gws rookie who grabs a round 11 bye donut may comfortably get that back over a few weeks as the new replacement rookies miss games - with the added benefit of saving a trade here.

Not much point trading in new bubble players beyond this week with an eye to trading them out again by round 12 (eg: spurr). He simply wont have mooed yet. Even worse will be guys like zorko and brennan who will have round 11 byes.

To me, a few extra round 11 (rookie) donuts will save valuable trades and cover better for rounds 12 and 13.

I'm interested in other people's thoughts on this crucial topic which will shape many people's seasons.
    Premium players is another topic. This is all about rookies. Regards

2. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

But we need to downgrade our rookies to make cash for upgrades. Yes these new rookies might not be as good as the GWS rookies but holding the GWS boys until rounds 12-15 means holding off on upgrades. Can't afford to fall that far behind.

3. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I agree on the idea of sacrificing one of the BYE rounds and getting donuts.

With the correct trading it should be possible to avoid a donut - barring injury and rookie selections. So then it all comes down to JS for your rookies.

My backline will be the biggest challenge in terms of rookies

DEF: Lids, Shaw, Goddard, Broughton, Dempsey, Clarke, Bugg, Ellis, Morris.

As you can see, Shaw, Clarke, Dempsey, Broughton all share the rd. 12 BYE.

This means that to avoid a donut - Clarke and Dempsey must be upgraded before then (And clearly NOT to Spurr)

They cannot be upgraded to any players with rd.13 BYE (CARL,HAW,RICH,STK), so it becomes a big problem.

As you can also notice - Ellis and Morris need to get the flick before rd.13 also.

Kinda shows that Bugg might be more important than first thought, and I may have to persevere with him.

I don't see ANY quality defender upgrades from teams with the rd.11 BYE (ADEL,BL,GWS,NTH,WCE,WB), perhaps with the exception of Waters.

Problems!! Any ideas??

4. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Scott Thompson from NM is the highest scoring full back for a while and I think he is a very good option and deluxe POD going into the bye rounds. He is someone we all should look into

5. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

@Swert - a rookie who doesnt play scores a zero - lets say its in round 14.
    That zero immediately unerwrites any gain made from an upgraded premium - and costs 2 trades usually.
    Once is ok, but a few of these, and a few crap rookies, sees mid season scores compromised.
    With so many injuries hitting good players, we really need bench coverage.

Keep in mind rookies like Bugg, TGreene, Mcdonald, have been able to average 80pts.
    Im not saying dont up and down grade mostly...but some choice holds may be valuable for those seeking to POD up the ladder.

6. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from H_Dons on May 15, 2012, 14:40
    I don't see ANY quality defender upgrades from teams with the rd.11 BYE (ADEL,BL,GWS,NTH,WCE,WB), perhaps with the exception of Waters. </blockquote>

Scott Thompson (NTH) is the 5th highest scoring defender so far this year, could be a nice POD too. Add to that Waters (7th highest) and Hurn (12th) and things don't look so bad.

7. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

H Dons - agree with your approach to a point. There are going to be certain lines in certain rounds where it is almost certain people will cop a doughnut or two.

Rd 13 in defence is a prime example - Lids, Goddard, Scotland, Rance, Morris, Ellis.... ugly.

Round 11 forwards are another one - Dangerfield and/or Porps, plus the GWS guys, plus Zorko, plus maybe Dickson if you still have him.

Mids Rd 11 (again, GWS guys, Zorko, maybe Boyd, (for me, Priddis)

Forwards Rd 12 (Beams, Sidey, Chappy, Christensen, Goodes)

My aim, without really being committed to taking things to seriously this year, is to examine where I am most exposed to scoring doughnuts and try to target 2-3 of the situations to reduce the exposure.

Rd 13 in defence is ugly for me - have 5 defenders out. I'm aiming to get that down to three by trading Ellis and Morris out. Rance Lids and BJ I'll keep but many will be in a similar boat.

Rd 11 mids and Rd 11 forwards are causing me a ocuple of headaches as well - my aim is to trade out as many GWS guys as reasonable before then - Shiel, Smith, maybe Treloar or Adams. Hoping that Couch gets a game as well.

Final point - Scott Thompson is a damn good option. Waters and Hurn too (Rd 11 byes) Heppell as well (Rd 12 bye)

8. Powerfan777

Powerfan777 New Member

Traded in Scott Thompson (NM) this morning - I've had him on my radar since rd 1 - he's only played one bad game (57) and apart from that he's either been in the 90s or over 100.

9. chris88

Powerfan - I reckon quite a few people are going to look at him, Waters or Hurn as they trade out Bugg or Mohr.

Considering trading him in next week myself, alongside nabbing Buddy as I only have one other forward (Martin) who is due a Rd 13 bye.

10. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

I won't bring in Thompson or any other round 11 premium until the bye rounds. I can see Ellis or Morris becoming Thompson after round 11 or 12.

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

We can't always wait for the perfect rookie. Sometimes we have to make do with what's available. Spurr is really the best of an average lot. We just have to go with it and hope he continues to get games. He's matured aged and so shouldn't get struck down by the General.

12. chris88

Swert - only reason I can bring him in is because I have no other backmen (apart from Mohr) playing in Rd 11. Bugg is gone this week.

So I can afford to have 2 on the bench up back that week, meaning Mohr and one of Thompson, Hurn or Waters.

But yes, Thompson is a perfect upgrade type target for Rd 12 or 13.

13. chris88

Nick just wish Mr Docherty was playing by now. That's the dream I guess. Ain't going to happen though

14. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Have been only aiming for league win from start coz was too late getting into any decent points cash leagues.

With my whole team including bench all seeing action except redden in ruck, might hold off on trades for 2-3 weeks unless something irresistible pops up
    my current bye rounds status is : (11-12-13) :

D = 2 / 3 / 4
    M = 2 / 4 / 2
    R = 2 / 0 / 2
    F = 2 / 2 / 5
    ---

My round 11 bye round opponent has :

D = 3 / 0 / 6
    M = 3 / 1 / 4
    R = 0 / 2 / 2
    F = 5 / 1 / 3
    (happy to not be facing him round 12)
    ---

Round 12 opponent =

D = 3 / 4 / 2
    M = 4 / 2 / 2
    R = 3 / 1 / 0
    F = 6 / 2 / 1
    Happy to not be facing him round 13, wish i had him round 11)
    ---

Round 13 opponent =

D = 3 / 1 / 5
    M = 3 / 3 / 2
    R = 2 / 1 / 1
    F = 5 / 2 / 2
    (wish i had him round 11)
    ---

Now's the time to monitor opponents bye rounds preparedness & start moving to balance your teams accordingly.
    an acceptable sacrifice for league wins is to consolidate 2 bye wins & cop 1 loss.

15. Powerfan777

Powerfan777 New Member

I know I've been pumping up Thompson, but what about Troy Chaplin?

16. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Funnily enough I have been discussing the same thing today with some of the people in the TS community (Walesy, Lucas, Chris88 and Anthak) on email.

I wanted to know what people thoughts were in regards to the byes? Were they going to trade sideways or where they going to hold onto cows who are in their team now and who don't have their bye until round 13?

After much discussion (I used my example in DT where I am chasing the overall prize - ranked 64th overall), it was agreed that it is best to cop maybe 2 potential donuts total over rounds 11-12-13. By smart trading and using rookies wisely, you should be able to get away with having 2 donuts only if you have got your team in place by round 11. There may be the situation where do you need to sideways trade, e.g you have a premium who is due to the have the bye in round 12, you may consider trading him to a player who had the bye in round 11. A lot of it is going to trial and error as to what happens at that time. You only need a couple of long term injuries to some of your players at that time to really screw your plans over.

@ Powerfan777 - Chappy, no thanks. His disposal and decision making is very ordinary. For a guy who has played more than 100 games, it is embarrassing to watch his schoolboy errors every game. I felt like smashing the tv on Sunday when he did that scrubber kick in the 2nd qtr. It is simply not good enough from one of our leaders!!!

17. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

<blockquote>Quote from fidelsfinger on May 15, 2012, 17:33
    Now's the time to monitor opponents bye rounds preparedness & start moving to balance your teams accordingly.
    an acceptable sacrifice for league wins is to consolidate 2 bye wins & cop 1 loss.
    </blockquote>

Looking forward at the opposition is a good idea but keep in mind that what you are looking at today in terms of bye structure could be very different come round 11.

For example, I currently have an 11/6/13 bye setup but that will become 7/10/13 by round 11. And even then, it won't really be 13 byes in round 13 due to trading.

18. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Certainly is time to think.
    I haven't put too much thought into the whole bye thing until this morning. Taking a fair bit of planning now.

19. J_C

J_C Guest

My league draw doesn't look great through the bye rounds. Each of my opponents in rounds 11, 12 & 13 has minimal exposure in the rounds I play them. In particular, my round and 12 & 13 opponents are stuffed in the other rounds (as it currently stands). I'd love to swap those 2 around. Reckon I'd be a chance for 3 & 0 through the byes then.

Wishful thinking.

20. TheOnion

TheOnion Member

I've done quick analysis on my team (currently sitting around 20,000th in SC) and it will score approx 1700 to 1800 per round in the byes with no trades. It seems most competitive teams will score roughly 5000 to 5500 SC points across the 3 bye rounds no matter which way you weight your team.

I believe astute players will lift this point tally the most with the following factors...

- Trades, if you have 'em up your sleeve. After bye rd 1, getting Rd 11 premiums in for Rd 12 and 13 rookies..etc.

- MPP's. Hasn't been a big deal so far this year but in the byes a F/M two way combo who don't share byes will kick ass

- Luck. If you are GWS exposed and Sheeds goes into high rotation mode in rds 12 or 13, you might get very screwed or very lucky depending on the mix. Then we have the high altitude swan factor, and the man who does least for football as a spectacle (Ross Lyin) to consider.

There will be a sea of donuts so no use crying if you cop a few. League wins will probably come from people that conserve trades during the bye rds, and use them to hit hard in the early finals rds. Overall winner may well come from someone who trades well in 11, 12 and 13.

I still like the comment I heard earlier in the year...."in the bye rounds I intend to close my eyes". Gold.