Captain Thread - Round 17

Discussion in 'AFL' started by DC, Jul 11, 2011.

1. DC

DC Member

May as well get this started with a lot of coaches keen to move on from last weeks captains choice..

Standouts for mine

Selwood/Bartel v Brisbane
    Swan/Pendles v Carlton
    Thompson v Essendon
    Deledio v GC
    Boyd/Grif v North

Discuss...

2. jibba

jibba Member

Selwood or Swan for me.
    Will Selwood be able to continue his form from four weeks ago?
    He didn't have an injury and went to Perth for special training or something like that. I'm hoping he is better off than he was before and knocks out a huge score like Swan did after his break! :D

3. Fez

Fez Moderator

Pendles was tagged by Gibbs round 3 and scored his lowest score for the season, so Swanny might get the Nod

4. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Chapman V Brisbane
    His scores against the Lions since 2006 are; 104, 100, 105, 104, 95, 152, 117 & 91. Averaging 108.5 since '06, not massive scores there but surely the Cats will be out to prove something after 2 straight losses, and nothing better to do it against the 15th side on the ladder. A bit of a smokey. Stevie J may be an interesting one too, his scores against the Lions since 2006 are; 108, 127, 97, 91, 69, 127 & 67. Averaging 98 since '06, his last 3 have been up & down against the Lions so if it goes like it has in the past he'll have a big one. Also, this year his scores backing up from 90-99 have an overall average of 120 backing it up. A couple of smokies there when others will be thinking about Selwood, Bartel etc. Nathan Foley I'll consider against the GC for a big smokey.

Instead of smokies I think that Dane Swan, Chris Judd etcwould be solid picks.

5. Sainter

Sainter New Member

I'd like to keep McEvoy after a great week, but comes up against Cox.
    Ruckmen's scores against Cox this year;
    114 (C.Pederson)
    70 (D.Brogan)
    98 (S.Mumford)
    60 (B.Renouf)
    93 (M.Jamar)
    65 (D.Hille)
    81 (P.Ryder)
    70 (T.Bellchambers)
    110 (A.Sandilands)
    74 (B.Hudson)
    57 (C.Wood)
    62 (J.Fraser)
    118 (Z.Smith)
    64 (S.Jacobs)
    84 (D.Brogan)
    58 (M.Kreuzer)
    73 (B.Ottens)

Ruckmen average 79ppg against Cox/NicNat combo so that would suggest McEvoy not a good idea.

Brendon Goddard has scored 116, 93, 103, 175, 112 & 157 against West Coast in his career. That's an average of 126. Probably a good option and is coming off an average of 124ppg in the last 4 games this year. Good option I reckon, I change my mind again and Brendon Goddard is locked in.

6. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

I think even if Gaz gets the nod this weekend, I might name someone else like Selwood or Swan.

7. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

reckon the cats will take apart Brisbane in a calm, methodical, highly skilled fashion, to make a statement to the rest of the league – “Geelong Premiership 2011 campaign back on track” and all that - tipping this to be the most one-sided game of the round (ten goal margin). Problem is I only have Enright and can’t give the big ‘C’ to anyone other than a midfielder! Pendle’s or Swan are the most likely for me. Anyone else think Boyd is overdue for a massive output?

8. DC

DC Member

Selwoods last 2 games against brisbane 175 & 124

9. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Considering going McEvoy again, averaging 136 in past 5 weeks. Go the inform players.

But apart from that Dal Santo, Judd, Goddard seem solid choices.

10. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Too many superstars playing in this Carl/Coll game to be throwing the Big C on anyone from there.. Swan, Pendles, Thomas, Cloke, Shaw, Murphy, Judd, Gibbs just for starters. Doesnt leave great deal of the pie for the others if they all hit their average....

Also the big blockbusters dont normally seem to see anyone score over 130.

11. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Scott Thompson loves playing the Dons, he has scored 115, 75, 143, 95, 134, 132, 95, 155 & 125. Average of 118 over those 9 appearances, could be a good one, but shhh, don't tell anybody ;)

It's on a Friday night and they normally don't work out that great on Fridays, that might make it even more of a smokey.

12. DC

DC Member

Yeah Thompsons scores at home this year have been pretty massive. Dont want to be cheering him on against my team though haha

13. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@DC
    Do you reckon Hocking will get the job on him and keep him quiet though?

14. DC

DC Member

Hocking has been doing a lot more attacking the last 2 weeks with Watson out and if Essendon want to continue winning they will keep him in that role until Watson returns... However he would be the pefect matchup for Thompson if Hird wants to 'try' stop him... Either way Thompson should still get plenty of the ball as taggers really dont stop him getting contested possies

15. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

It's a tricky one this week isn't it.
    Thanks for all the info that everyone's posted in here.

I'm thinking Goddard, Thompson or Boyd.

16. AndrewY

AndrewY New Member

I look like going with Boyd. Due to rip one apart. Rumor has it Harvey has a broken thumb. This may mean Boyd will only get a 2nd tier tagger if at all.

17. dustin_credible

dustin_credible New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Sainter on July 12, 2011, 11:28
    @DC
    Do you reckon Hocking will get the job on him and keep him quiet though?</blockquote>

Hocking was on cotchin last week and cotchy did well, so i can only assume thompson will/should be fine

18. johnnygeelong

johnnygeelong New Member

like goddard or boyd for pod. playing 3rd vs 2nd on ladder and he has neither

19. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Is Deledio or Cotchin any serious chance of going big this weekend against Gold Coast(scoring 140-160 or more)? Or would other players be more of a realistic chance to score huge? Martin,Foley,Newman and so on..

20. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@NumberWonGuns
    I think out of that group the points will be spread more evenly or 2 maybe 3 will score big 130+'s, hopefully Newman & Foley will go big though ;).