Captains Loophole

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Mad_Mattigan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Just trying to make sure that I have this whole captains loophole idea down pat... The split weekend and continuous rolling lockout has me wary.
    What I know: 1) Put the 'VC' on a gun who is playing early in the round. 2) Put 'C' on a player who isn't picked, who's team is playing later. 3) Ensure non-player is covered by decent emergency. 4) If early player (VC) rips it up and scores 130+ (ish) leave as is. 5) If VC stinks it up, move the C onto another option, hoping they score better.
    Simple... However, in the situation of this weekend, everyone's favourite non-playing 'Captain', Callum Sinclair is playing on the Saturday night, which is comparatively early. Does this mean that The 'C' will be locked onto him after Sat night? Or is the 'C' moveable to players who are yet to play?
    My suspicion is that it will be locked in, meaning that the effectiveness of this loophole is severely limited this round. Effectively, the only possible 'VC's' come from Ess and Adel and then if they fail to fire, a captain has to be chosen from the WCE/Freo game. Is this correct? I notice that it is now impossible to play without a captain or vice-captain as the two most expensive players are automatically selected.
    Alternatively, can I put the C on any player not playing in the first few games, and then just trade them out for the player I really want? (Is Relton Roberts still on a list?)
    Or... do I just hold fire on this weekend, (ignoring Cox, Watson, Ryder, Dangermouse, etc) and leave the VC and C until next week?
    Blah! No bloody wonder I'm confused, I came up with 4 solutions as I typed this message!
    Any thoughts from players with a clue would be greatly appreciated. Cheers MM

2. Gerardic

Gerardic New Member

Keep in mind this is Rolling Lockout and Split round which just gives the captain loophole a guarantee to occur every round. Previously it was only during split round or one/two games cos rolling lockout would only happen until say Friday night (when there are games on wed and/or thursday). Your understanding of how it works is sound but I can imagine the split round confused you. You have the following options: 1: You pick a Vice Captain from Essendon/Adelaide. And if you are not happy with Essendon/Adelaide VC, you can place Captain on a player from west coast or fremantle to overwrite. Or if you are happy, just pick a West Coast/Fremantle player who are not playing and select emergency. Keep in mind the rolling lockout allow you to change Captaincy, or even emergency between ess/ade and wce/freo 2: Pick a VC for Ade/Ess/WCE/Freo and choose Captain from remaining teams at next week games. 3: Don't pick VC/Cap, and next week pick a VC for Thurs, Fri or Sat games, and pick Cap on Fri/sat/Sunday game if you are unhappy with VC. The rolling lockout allow you to do this every week, not just during split rounds or 1st round. Now to your example: Sinclair, he is not playing, so it is pointless to put captaincy on him, unless you decide your VC from Ess/Ade is good enough so you can put captaincy on sinclair during rolling lockout between Ess/Ade and Wce/Freo game. In meantime put captaincy on player's team that isn't playing this weekend.

3. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Mad_Mattigan wrote:

Simple... However, in the situation of this weekend, everyone's favourite non-playing 'Captain', Callum Sinclair is playing on the Saturday night, which is comparatively early. Does this mean that The 'C' will be locked onto him after Sat night? Or is the 'C' moveable to players who are yet to play? My suspicion is that it will be locked in, Your suspicion is correct. Once players have been locked in a the start of their game, any C/VC/E status is also locked. This is why Brad Crouch is not useful to work any loopholes this round, because he will one of the first players to be locked out.

4. Mad_Mattigan

Mad_Mattigan Member

Ta muchly lads.