Cazalys Stadium

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Soda_Bull, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Soda_Bull

Soda_Bull New Member

Hi all,
    Went up to Cazaly's today from the Gold Coast (in the car now, iPhone). The wind was absolutely howling, and pumped with my Gold Coast boys win. But, back to the wind, it was as strong a wind as I've ever felt at a footy match, and the kicks that were there were monstrous, in the 2nd quarter when GC were going with the wind, I reckon "Bluey" McKenna told them to go to the CHF Position, 50m out directly in front, where they kicked most of there goals, some massive ones too. I think more games should be played there, but the crowd capacity is a little worrying and probably some BIG matches shouldn't be played there, but i reckon with that breeze that a lot of matches will go down to the wire.

Are any more matches scheduled at Cazaly's for the rest of the year?

What do you think about the ground?

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Hey Soda,

~No more matches scheduled up at Cazaly Stadium for the rest of this year, but I too hope that they have a few next year~

~Watching the thumping kicks all day long was fascinating, although a couple of players got too carried away at times. I think Gaz attempted one from about 80m, no where near!~

~I think teams have got to address that, instead of making it a shoot out for whichever team will kick the most from 75m out, even though it would be exciting, we want to see other factors in footy matches, not just kicks that are taken by the wind and go a mile~

~Teams will need to figure out a plan kicking into the wind too, because I think only 2 goals were kicked to that side all day, and you could sense with the wind that Gold Coast were coming halfway through the 3rd~

~I agree that big games can't really be played there, with big name teams like Geelong or Collingwod, I think the amount of Collingwood supporters at an Anzac Day Match wouldn't even all be able to fit into Cazaly! Also, probably people wouldn't just be able to turn up on the day to see the match and buy tickets there if there are big games held at the ground, they'll have to get the tickets a week before because the again the crowd that fits into it isn't very big~

~Although I think the Queensland Derby could be played there (which will attract more fans as the seasons wear on) because it won't have as much crowd as the other big games, this ill be one soon, though~

~Is it just me & my memory (which may be way wrong), but haven't they played some Rugby League/Rugby Union games there once?~

~To sum up, the wind and the long bombs were exciting, but a few things will need to be addressed and fixed before they start playing regular games there every season and big games with big teams~

3. Fez

Fez Moderator

Think I read somewhere Tigers have a contract to pull 1 game there for the next 2 seasons but I stand to be corrected

Soda how is massive wind good for footy?

4. boydshow

boydshow Guest

Richmond v GC will be here for 2 more years. Plenty of room at the stadium for more stands, they may put something up after seeing the success of the first game. Wind is common here, but the direction & strength today was unusual.

Good to see a new ground in the mix with its own characteristics IMO, the competition lost something when all the suburban grounds disappeared