Chad Cornes to GWS

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Nicconis_Nuts, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Nicconis_Nuts

Nicconis_Nuts New Member

Channel 7 just reported that the chad is joining GWS next year.

2. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

We will throw in Kane for free. Plus they can take their stupid old man Graham. He is a very bitter old man who should not be on the 5AA sports show here in Adelaide.

3. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Cornes, Ward and Palmer in the space of 2 or 3 days. Confirmations EVERYWHERE!

Scully will only go if he's not satisfied with the new coach IMO, why else wouldn't he announce it straight away?

Now for Luke Power to get on to notch down his 300th game next year!

4. shanaz

shanaz New Member

just a quick confirmation, is cornes going as a player or as part of the coaching panel?

5. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Sets me to wondering who will be our first GWS supporter on TS.

6. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

From everything I have heard so far, it seems to be a bit of media speculation that Chad is being offered a 1 year contract & Brogan a 2 year contract (1 year playing, 1 year assistant coach), but no confirmation on either.

I find it strange that both Chad & Broges would announce their retirements, then renege on those retirements to play for GWS.

7. Tino

Tino Member

I speculated whether Cornes would go there at the start of the year coz the Giants need hard bodies to protect their youngsters. Then he came out to the media the next day and said that he didnt want to play for another club. Go figure.

Scully is as good as gone. Can't see him staying at the Dees.

8. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I'm not suprised at all to see Cornes go- still got a bit of good footy in him I reckon- but the way that his departure has been handled, both by him and the club- it's certainly left a lot to be desired.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't do worse than Coad this year could "the Chad".

I reckon he and Brogan have heaps more time in them, 2-3 years of playing.

Clearly a money-based call but didn't want to be branded traitors. Too late.

What will be worse is if Port don't consider them part of the compensation mix (ie they had already delisted them...)

Who knows what Peter Rohde has done on this one lol...

10. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Gotta wonder what the compo on Studly would have been.

Premiership player
    3 times club best and fairest
    2 time all australian

With a Campbell Brown-esq salary, reckon the Compo would have been the same? Or do you reckon age would play too big a part there?

11. Steve

If it means that GWS have used up their one contracted pick for each club on Cornes and Brogan, then this is good news. They wont be able to go after Boak or Gray next year when they come out of contract.

Plus the Butch has signed to stay at Port. He was never going to leave!

12. Bearfly

I find it strange that Chad would even contemplate going to GWS considering Williams is the senior assistant over there.

It must be remembered that Williams was still in charge at Port last year when Chad's fall from favour began - Williams labelled Chad as too slow to be a key defender or a midfielder, virtually consigning him to a forward role only where his poor accuracy kicking for goal makes him a risky proposition anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Chad can still offer something on field, it's just a matter of where to play him.

What I find most confusing about this whole situation though is the simple fact that in the couple of weeks leading up to his final game against the Pies, Chad made alot of comments through the media about how he wants to stay with Port in an off-field role in the fitness department so he can give back to the club he loves so much!!!

13. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@ Steve

Pretty sure that they dont come under the uncontracted players rule....

14. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Chad just wants a testamonial, perfectly reasonable given Port can't afford one in the current economic environment.

15. Steve

I can tell you guys that Chad is not welcome back at Port Adelaide and the same thing can be said for Kane. They are both the source of the leaks coming from the club. They are both disgruntled and are doing everything possbile to undermine the club.I know this for fact!!!!

That is why Graham Cornes has become so irrational when he interviews Primus on 5AA. The matter has become personal for Graham and he even said last week that once Kane leaves the club (whenever that may be), he is going to unload on the club big time. He won't hold back with his criticism.

Kane may get the ball 30 times in a match but I can guarantee you that he would turn the ball over 15 out of those 30 posessions and the other 15 possessions would place his teammate under pressure. This is the whole reason why he is on the outer at Port. I for one agree with everything that Primus is doing. The Cornes boys are not part of our future, we need to think of 2-3 years down the track.

16. Bearfly

Steve - totally agree with you about Kane, absolutely wastes his ball-getting ability through poor disposal and never could be considered in Port's long-term plans.

Thanks for the info about Chad & Kane being the sources of the leaks from Alberton - interesting to note how Graham has been trying to attribute these leaks to several other players in recent weeks!!!

On another note, it is sad to hear of the passing of Bob Clayton today, one of Port's legendary on & off field servants and all round good honest fellow.

Nice tribute article on Port's website http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=123001

17. Fez

Fez Moderator

Kane and chads mum should of swallowed is all I'm going say, pathetic excuses for humans