Chris Newman to get midfield time...

Discussion in 'AFL' started by NotTooSerious, Feb 22, 2012.

1. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

2. whips

whips New Member

Yep, Newman's in the mix for me and this could bump him up a place or two.
    Shared bye with Goddard, Deledio and Scotland is a worry as they're the three elite DEF's from last year.

3. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Yeah for sure whips, IMO you could only have 3 of the 4 and even that would rely upon a D/M in your midfield like luke brown to swap with in round 13.

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

With Newman and Conca touted for midfield time...along with the other up and coming tigers' mids, who will actually get it!?

5. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Thats exactly what i was thinking Nick, Lids, Newman and conca have all now been linked to more midfield time and there is only so much to go around!

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

They've drafted Ellis who looks set to be a very effective kick out of the backline yet I can't see Newman being taken out of the defensive setup too often, specifically if Deledio is set to be given more of a midfield role. The need for players to be able to kick long and accurately has never been more important than now in order to penetrate the zone that teams setup from the front and Newman is one of the few Tigers that can give them that option. He might be given small stints in the midfield but I can't see it being a heavy rotation. Regardless, I'm tempted to slot him into my side ahead of Deledio due to him being underpriced somewhat (the game where he got injured late last season and only scored 45 or so took a couple of points off his average), that and Deledio has had an interrupted pre-season.
    Perhaps Richmond supporters in the know could clarify furthermore?

7. G-Train

G-Train Member

Seems like every forward and defender will get run through the midfield this season ;)

8. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Good points AngryAnt - the thing with Newman is he wouldn't need much time in the middle at all to boost his average over the 100ppg mark, he would have been there last year had it not been for that 45 point game.

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

He would have averaged 102.75 without the 45 game which would have taken him above Shaw and Fisher to 4th highest ranking defender and a price of ~$557,000 rather than the $536,000 he's at now. This is definitely value however even at his higher price, Deledio primed for a midfield role offers more value. As an onballer, Deledio has scored very highly when given the chance and despite his detractors, he can win his own ball and has also posted high tackling numbers. Newman's average will mostly likely always be around the 98 to 102 mark, Deledio can get up to 110+ if unleashed in the midfield. The problem is his current injury and its effect in his lead up to the season proper, I don't know how bad it is but he potentially could be nursed into the season by playing across the backline, gradually moving into the midfield proper.
    Newman on the other hand looks fit and flying and does offer some value, albeit providing a lower ceiling than Deledio.

10. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

I guess beware the richmond loser factor hahaha
    and deledio's hammy - not a good injury - and i dont think eliis and morris looked THAT good on the weekend plus preseason talk is so hot (air) these days and newman is not really an ultra premium player, he's a good solid guy. beware the over-reaction built upon SC hyper-anticipation.

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Hehe, Richmond despite their predisposition to losing do at least provide a few options.

Richmond reckon that Deledio's hamstring injury is "minor", hopefully he'll be back in the NAB games, if not then it might be hard to pick him with full confidence.

Morris looks more of a type that could be given a lock-down role on an opposition small/mid forward, his attack on the ball was good but his disposal was pretty poor, wont be a high possession winner but will probably play most if not all games at least which is something to take into consideration.

Ellis shows some promise, his use by foot looked pretty good and he seemed quite composed in possession and was also given kick-out responsibilty in the second game. He looked a better bet than other potentials like Spurr or Mohr for example. Need a proper game to assess all of these players really.

12. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Tossing up between shaw and newman at the moment. shaw has more potential to get really high scores, though he can be fairly inconsistent. Newman on the other hand you can pretty much lock in for around 90 - 100 each round, the only problem with him being he shares a bye with fisher, goddard and ellis (all of whom i have in my team). decisions, decisions!