Compensation Picks

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, May 29, 2013.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

You read my mind ant. I was scurrying back through the old threads looking for the discussion on this. So here it is and I have started a new thread since I feel it is a bigger issue than just the Lilacs. The Frogs were docked their first round draft pick. This was a penalty introduced to discourage tanking. Which we need to do. BB conducted the remainder of their draft to ensure it was impartial. During this period the franchise was owned by the Association. Following the draft (or near enough to it) the franchise was offered to Jen and she accepted it. It was some time after this that, I guess with a feeling of some guilt or desire for fairness, that the question was raised of giving the new Lilacs franchise some form of compensation for missing out on Pick 7. This was discussed in an atmosphere of gloom and doom that the new franchise would not be competitive. As we near the middle of the season, the Banks have recorded one victory and are poised at position 16 on our ladder. So, do they warrant some form of compensation? And what about the two teams below them on the ladder? Votes please coaches (incl. Jen and Chris). [span style='color: #0070c0;]Pick 7 in the 1st round of the draft be given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): a) Yes b) No [span style='color: #0070c0;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: a) Yes b) No

2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am no & no personally, though I understand it may not be popular. I inflicted my own pain upon myself, either by stupidity or accident, and if I'm not getting any.........

3. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No, maybe an end of first round pick if anything. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]This should go to the three lowest scoring teams, not the three lowest positioned teams I think... if it happens, which I think at end of year maybe, but not mid-season.

4. TerryinBangkok

Fitzy wrote:
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No, maybe an end of first round pick if anything. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]This should go to the three lowest scoring teams, not the three lowest positioned teams I think... if it happens, which I think at end of year maybe, but not mid-season.
    Enough with the maybes. Yes or No please (then add any number of qualifying comments/ideas underneath).

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

It seems that Fitzy's answer is a no. The maybe was in reference to a possible change of mind about results at end of year. I would take it as a no, imo

6. anthak

anthak wrote:
    It seems that Fitzy's answer is a no. The maybe was in reference to a possible change of mind about results at end of year. I would take it as a no, imo Fitzy may correct me!

7. anthak

I posit Yes and No

8. anthak

And I believe the compensatory pick, if allocated, should be tradable if LBL wishes to do so.

9. anthak

I keep thinking of LeBron James :)

10. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

TerryinBangkok wrote:
    Fitzy wrote:
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No, maybe an end of first round pick if anything. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]This should go to the three lowest scoring teams, not the three lowest positioned teams I think... if it happens, which I think at end of year maybe, but not mid-season.
    Enough with the maybes. Yes or No please (then add any number of qualifying comments/ideas underneath). I did put yes and no answer in.... anywayysss just if you cant find them....
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b)<em style='font-size: 12px;]No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No

11. graeme

graeme Guest

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Comments - <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]I voted No on Q1 because I do not consider a round 7 pick in the mid-season draft sufficient compensation for losing pick 7 in Round 1 of the pre-season draft. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;][span style='font-style: normal;]I voted No on Q2 because bad luck with injuries can play a big part in one season and the injuries may not carry forward to the following year. Further, I think we are tight enough knit now that if it becomes clear that a franchise is not competitive then we can deal with that on an ad hoc basis rather than on the basis of a rule which could be manipulated. I would like to place on record my appreciation for sNoZ taking his run of bad luck so stoically. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]

12. TerryinBangkok

Fitzy wrote: TerryinBangkok wrote: Fitzy wrote: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No, maybe an end of first round pick if anything. <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]This should go to the three lowest scoring teams, not the three lowest positioned teams I think... if it happens, which I think at end of year maybe, but not mid-season. Enough with the maybes. Yes or No please (then add any number of qualifying comments/ideas underneath). I did put yes and no answer in.... anywayysss just if you cant find them.... <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Round 7 draft pick given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b)<em style='font-size: 12px;]No <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No Thank you. Us simple minds like simple definitive answers. Maybe. Perhaps. Or if...................... My vote would be no and no, without taking 5 consecutive posts to say it :). /Portals/0/User%20Images/lebron-james.jpg And I take chels point, particularly the second half therein. It is a good one.

13. anthak

Chels, I presumed TiB meant pick 7 in the 1st round. It would be a bit of a backhander to award a pick in the 7th round - that would probably be the last pick of the draft :)

TiB, can you please clarify that.

14. anthak

anthak wrote:
    I keep thinking of LeBron James :) Not really sure why...little bladder leakage may have been a more appropriate thought :) and arguably more pleasant ;)

15. TerryinBangkok

anthak wrote:Chels, I presumed TiB meant pick 7 in the 1st round. It would be a bit of a backhander to award a pick in the 7th round - that would probably be the last pick of the draft :) TiB, can you please clarify that. Clarified and pasteurised. Thank you. I guess it comes from living with lambs that you learn to pick out the curly ones.

16. anthak

TerryinBangkok wrote:anthak wrote:Chels, I presumed TiB meant pick 7 in the 1st round. It would be a bit of a backhander to award a pick in the 7th round - that would probably be the last pick of the draft :) TiB, can you please clarify that. Clarified and pasteurised. Thank you. I guess it comes from living with lambs that you learn to pick out the curly ones. Thanks :) Chels, does that change your vote on the first question?

17. graeme

graeme Guest

yes and no ant, yes and no.
    What seems to be the issue is whatwas 'lost' andI am not sure that pick seven in the mid-season draft is the same as pick seven in the pre-season draft. It cannot be replaced (restored) and some form of compensation seems right to me. As to the quantum; I think there is much merit in Fitzy's notion of an additional pick at the end of the first round of the mid-season draft.
    Hence my vote remains the same: No and No.
    BTW, the lambs around here are all silent - it is too bloody cold to waste energy on baaaaaaing.

18. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

<p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Pick 7 in the 1st round of the draft be given to LBL (in addition to Pick 3 which would result from reverse ladder order): <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No (for the very same reason Chels indicated - 1st round MSD is dregs, if anything it should be a pick in the pre season draft) <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;] <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]Compensation (first round) mid-season draft picks be given to the three bottom teams: <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]a) Yes <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, San-Serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: 16px; background-color: #ffffff; color: #000000;]b) No

19. grav

grav Guest

no and no

20. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Question 1 - YES
    LBL should receive a compensatory pick in the mid-season draft due to losing the pick in the first round of the pre-season draft. Personally, I can see how some fellow coaches are saying that this compensation in the mid-season draft doesn't measure up to losing the pre-season draft pick, but I'm voting yes because this is the first and best opportunity to provide this compensation. Are we going to wait to set in place a compensatory pick at the next pre-season draft? What happens if we put it off until then on the grounds of equity, and then that proposal gets voted down? Get the compensation done now and get it over with. Let's remedy the problem as quickly as possible. Question 2 - NO I don't believe in priority picks at all. Each and any of us could end up in a situation similar to that experienced particularly by gundagai in terms of injuries affecting team performance. What I suggest is that we address the root cause of the problem not by providing extra picks, but expanding list sizes as has been previously discussed. The extra picks alone would no expand lists, and would maybe see those hit by injury forced to trade capable but injured players out of their side in order to get warm bodies on the park. I'd rather them keep these good but injured players and still get an extra fit player or two by expanding list sizes. NOTE: As I seem to do most of the time - I of course have a bit of a conflict of interest on this, particularly when discussing Lovely Banks. Perhaps it would be nice to hear from the coach of Lovely Banks herself on whether she thinks a pick in the mid-season draft is fair compensation for losing pick 7 in the pre-season draft. If Jen feels it is fair compensation, then that might assuage a few doubts. But by the by - I speak as a fellow coach in the ORFFA, nothing more.