Cox

Discussion in 'AFL' started by homerj, Apr 11, 2012.

1. homerj

homerj Member

Lotta talk on other forums about Broughton and a massive price drop ahead. Cox looking to be in the same boat ATM. I know it's early and I know in the past big Coxy has been THE premium ruck of the comp but has his role changed? I haven't seen a lot of West Coast games but obviously NicNat taking a greater ruck role. Starting to wonder if Cox could be used more like Ottens at the Cats in later years, ie as the gun ruck to have when going gets tough but at other times sharing the ruck load or otherwise just sit in the forward line? Hope this makes sense.

Am a bit concerned over Cox's scores to date and wondering if money could be better spent elsewhere (ie my spud midfield)? Have I gone mad?!! Thoughts appreciated.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Cox is about to play the greater western witches hats. I don't care if he is in the forward line or in the ruck. There are SC points about to be had, lots of them.

3. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Jason that was my thinking going with the 202 but look how mumford faired with "the witches hat"?? Have Cox as well and hope your right but not confident!!

4. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Watched the second half of the melbourne match, and he played alot in thr fwd line. Missed an easy shot at goal and took a few marks around the ground. Unfortunately i see him only averaging around the 100 mark, not cranking up the big scores like last year. I picked him because i though the premium rucks would be hard to pick this year, and when giles has done his mooing i will be able to trade in the in form ruck, instead of going sideways if i get one wrong. I'll keep the faith

5. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Mumford didn't look 100% in R1.

6. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Reckon West Coast will rest Cox and few other older guys. No point flying them over to GWS when its just going to be training drill. Think they have Hawks following week.

7. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Cox role is very concerning for those that have had him from the start. Playing much more forward and I agree that 100 ave may be what we now should expect. The question for me will be do I jump on when the price drops. I think Sandi has shown he should be everybody's number 1 ruckman.

8. jprockbelly

jprockbelly New Member

If Cox really is going to spend more (all?) of his time in the fwd line then surely NicNat is a serious option to trade him for? He will be picking up the majority of the ruck work and will no doubt score well becasue of it. He has already had a couple of decent weeks.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Who has Sandi played in the ruck so far?

Orren, West and Seaby.

He'd want to be hitting 140s.

10. homerj

homerj Member

Great discussion all. It's hard to justify trading out someone like Cox but I have a sinking feeling he won't be in the same realm of last year. But with Mummy as my R2 who also has an injury cloud - the 202 ruck combo is looking like a massive mistake. Giles on bench outscoring or not far off both Cox and Mummy to date. Know it's only early days though.

Dunno if I will have the guts to trade either of my rucks but my midfield is getting smashed with 3 playing rookies on field and no Murphy/Pendles/Mitchell etc. Someone might have to go. Trading either of the 2 premo rucks would get me any midfielder I want at present.
    Decisions, decisions...

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Thing with Cox is, even if he scored 115 every single week he was going to drop $100K by time he hit his first bye. So when you bought him at start u had to expect a significant price drop.

12. jibba

jibba Member

I'll probably shuffle Cox out to Ryder if Cox does get rested this week

13. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

the bigger question - methinks - is whether you trade out a premium.
    I have same problem with Dane Swan, but if you spend 600k on a guy we all know he is in there for the long haul.
    Trades count for a lot - how much, i cant quantify!
    Is it better to jump off a gun now if yr sure (but are you really sure?)
    and save money and save points?
    maybe cox averages a bit less this year - but does the trade up your sleeve make you more points later?
    perhaps not? wot?

14. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

Mummy was always going to miss games (either injury or more likely suspension). Cox's history suggests he will play minimum 21 games and means solid points for the whole season.

Those will 1/0/3 and Cox as the "1" should still be ok as there are a lot worse R2 premium ruck options that Big Cox.....

YMMV etc, etc.

15. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

weird thinking but if i was in the top 1000 rankings i would probly trade cox out for sandi or ryder or kruz tho for a league only id prob want to save my trade suck up the 100 points per week .

do you think they will ruck cox more vs better teams ?

16. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

I'm guessing here but I think Cox didn't do much in the first half, but he did quite a bit in the second half, because West Coast were already way in front the second half was scaled down.

17. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Intresting note with DT to SC Ratios out of the top 10 DT ruckman Cox is listed 3rd, but is the only one to have a negative effect on his DT to SC differential

Top 10 ranked AVG DT Rucks

Ryder 120 per round SC 132 per round (Diff +12)
    Sandilands 107 per round SC 131 per round (Diff +24)
    Cox 106.5 per round SC 99.5 per round (Diff -7)
    Kreuzer 95 per round SC 112.5 per round (Diff +17.5)
    Mumford 91 per round (only 1 game) SC 96 per round (Diff +5)
    Giles 90.5 per round SC 94 per round (Diff +3.5)
    Jacobs 87 per round SC 96 per round (Diff +9)
    McEvoy 87 per round SC 105 per round (Diff +18)
    Leuenberger 81.50 per round SC 101.5 per round (Diff +20)
    McIntosh 81 per round SC 93.50 per round (Diff +12.5)

Intresting note is nic nat, who has a very avg DT score (ranked 14th ruckman) yet a massive 35 points differential on his SC score!!

NicNat 75 per round SC 110.50 per round (Diff +35.5)

In short it may pay to leave Cox alone as he is clearly still getting possesions , tackles, goals etc and hope his ratio flicks into the positive!!!

18. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Handy stats Lethal, thnx,
    Sandy was my upgrade target for Ruck 1,
    was hoping to pick him up before mid season but might have to move on Ryder first & bring Sandi in after the byes.
    Ryder's projected to bottom out about rounds 6-8.
    do you think he'll keep it up?
    I can't see Bellchambers taking much from him.
    Might have to rush Ryder in asap, before Hille returns.

19. gbj

gbj Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lethaldons on April 11, 2012, 17:09
    Intresting note with DT to SC Ratios out of the top 10 DT ruckman Cox is listed 3rd, but is the only one to have a negative effect on his DT to SC differential

Top 10 ranked AVG DT Rucks

Ryder 120 per round SC 132 per round (Diff +12)
    Sandilands 107 per round SC 131 per round (Diff +24)
    Cox 106.5 per round SC 99.5 per round (Diff -7)
    Kreuzer 95 per round SC 112.5 per round (Diff +17.5)
    Mumford 91 per round (only 1 game) SC 96 per round (Diff +5)
    Giles 90.5 per round SC 94 per round (Diff +3.5)
    Jacobs 87 per round SC 96 per round (Diff +9)
    McEvoy 87 per round SC 105 per round (Diff +18)
    Leuenberger 81.50 per round SC 101.5 per round (Diff +20)
    McIntosh 81 per round SC 93.50 per round (Diff +12.5)

Intresting note is nic nat, who has a very avg DT score (ranked 14th ruckman) yet a massive 35 points differential on his SC score!!

NicNat 75 per round SC 110.50 per round (Diff +35.5)

In short it may pay to leave Cox alone as he is clearly still getting possesions , tackles, goals etc and hope his ratio flicks into the positive!!! </blockquote>

Cox's &#36; / points ratio compared to say Sandi &#36;'s in the pocket and more points not to hard to decide, if you can spare a trade to make &#36;'s & points

To me it seems you have Ryder in D.T. Sandilands in S.C.

Points difference is always been there I'm in Sportsbet fantasy coaching Rd1 ALMOST the same teams got Sportsbet 2700 points / Supercoach score was 2050.

Comparing chalk with cheese and it will always be so.

BY THE WAY COX IS IN MY TEAMS, WITH FINGERS CROSS.

20. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

My initial theory was that Sandi or Cox would drop in value sufficiently so that I could trade Hale into one of them by the time Bailey gets back.

Looks like I have failed in this case, as Hale has a BE of 90 and looks certain to fail to get that...which is a shame because my other half of the theory has proved correct in Cox's case.

Should I cut my losses and correct Hale into Kreuzer or Ryder? Or should I just ride it out?

I know this thread is about Cox...just didn't feel the need to create a new one. Thoughts appreciated.