Cyril/Stevie J/Harvey/Goodes

Discussion in 'AFL' started by chris88, Mar 21, 2011.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Ok, I know this might sound like a bit of a fan footy thread title (no disrespect intended) but I'm wondering if people could provide some perspectives on why they've chosen perhaps one or two of these guys in their side over the others.

There seems to be room in sides for 2 guys at this price range ... and these seem to be the four guys with most interest.

What are people's thoughts - why have you chosen one or two over the others.

At the moment I have Stevie J and Harvey, but am tempted to swing back to Cyril ...

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

I've gone with Cyril as I see his scores going up with more midfield time, coupled with his ability to kick goals means he will 'rest' in the fwd line and do his thing.

Goodes - I want to get him in my team, but with Bradshaw down AGAIN, i think he will end up forward like last year. Age is also a factor (31). He started slowly in SC last year, and i see that again in 2011. (I thought most were considering Goodes V Pav - same price, MPP, Pav is 29, but only one of them has R6 bye...)

Stevie J - Still on my radar, but not in yet. Potential midfiled time is alluring...

Boomer - I think most are scared by his age (33 in May). Tough call to expect him to up his output, but definitely could maintain his 100ppg.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Great thread Chris, as I've been tossing up the same thing.

Cyril was a lock for me, but I can't stray away from his underwhelming preseason scores. I know one shouldnt read too much into pre-season, but it has to be noted. Only out-and-out stars like Goddard can be overlooked in having lean NAB scores. Maybe he just won't score as well has late last season, as we are all predicting. It makes me nervous, but he's in there at present.

I am tempted to go Rioli -> Goodes and a re-shuffle. Fwd line relegation notwithstanding, he has been ripping it up this preseason.

Stevie J is too yo yo for me, I am staying away.

Harvey is one of those players I've just never selected, but you really can't fault him, apart from the fossil factor.

You be really keen to hear what others think, especially on the Goodes vs Rioli one.

4. Heater

Heater New Member

Shenanigans nailed it I reckon: Bradshaw being out forces Longmire to play Goodes up forward. I just can't see Goodes as a high SC scoring forward. Rioli can play anywhere; rotate him along half back, midfield, forward - the options are endless really. That is why I have him instead of Goodes.

5. DC

DC Member

Goodes wont be a perm forward all game and no doubt will be asked to jump into the midfield to help swing the game the swans way at times.

I have Cyril and Goodes from that list

Harvey is knocking on the door

Feeling with SJ is that he will still throw scores of 30 out there during the season

6. crew

crew New Member

Have Goodes, Rioli Want Boomer will Never have Stevie Dud. Same reason I wont have Lids not consistent enough.......If I want inconsistent players I would have mid pricers in there.....I still think Varcoe will end up with more mid time than Stevie Dud.

7. Josh

Josh New Member

what about brad green?

8. Wiggles

Wiggles Moderator

I would like Cyril but already have Franklin so two Hawks on the same line is something i'm avoiding. Have actually gone O'Keefe, was burnt by him last year but for some reason i just have a feeling.

9. crew

crew New Member

@ Wiggles......You like pain dont you !!!!

10. Wiggles

Wiggles Moderator

actually just booted o'keefe and put goodes down fwd and mitchell into the center

11. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Have 3 of these 4 in my final team - Rioli is the only ommision. I didn't want 2 Hawks as forward premiums + wanted to see where abouts Cyril spends most of his time on the field & how his scores pan out. I'm open to an upgrade down the track if he shows some consistency this season

12. meataxe

meataxe Guest

Have Cyril and Goodes.

Was unsure about Cyril, but his scoring improvement the past few seasons, combined with uninterrupted preseason, was just too tempting (plus, Didak and Chappy had questionable preseasons).

Goodes - cheap, extremely durable, never thought of omitting him. A lock for 100+ points. Don't feel the fossil factor applies to Goodes atm because of his unique package of skills and physical attributes.

Decided not to have Harvey because of the fossil factor, and Stevie J because of his inconsistency and unlikelihood of increased midfield time.