downgrade options from now until round 24

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TheTassieHawk, Jul 20, 2011.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I have started looking at my trading plans from now until round 24 and noticed that if there is less GENERAL SORENESS than past seasons 2-3 trades could be rookie downgrades.

In previous seasons I have been foprced to make some dodgy downgrades (and cross my fingers they wouldn't be needed) just to generate some cash but was wondering whether there may be any decent DEF/MID/RUCK/FWD downgrade options likely to be playing in the SC finals that are not yet on the horizon

The reason being Callinan and Talia are repricing this week and with their mpp may be quite tempting if the cupboard is completely bare??

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

Tassie Hawk,

Fingers crossed that general sore-itis does not hurt to many players. Most of these happen when Prem teams play the bottom teams. However, there is one more thing to consider and thats the bottom teams racking their stars early for ops in prep for next year and rookies just looking for a week off.

I would also consider the run home for at least 6 team, all fighting for a position in the eight and all looking to climb just one position higher which could mean the difference between travelling and staying at home for a final.

Also consider the double rest which is a flight missed, a game rested and then followed by a bye. Will coaches allow that to happen these days without just cause - I dont think so...

That said, looking forward, I would suggest the following (or a mix of) could be rested from Rnd 20-24:

- Rnd 20 (Dogs Bye)

Carl V's Melb (Judd, Muphy)
    Geel V's GCS (Bartel, Chappy, Pods, Enright, Corey)
    Port V's Coll (Take your pick - Pendles, Daisey etc)
    Hawks V's Nth (Hodge, Buddy, Mitch)
    WC V's Rich (Cox Cox Cox, Kerr)

FINALS BEGIN:

- Rnd 21 (Nth Bye)

Hawks V's Port (Hodge, Buddy, Mitch)
    Melb V's WC (Cox, Kerr, Priddis)
    Adel V's Geel (Bartel, Chappy, Pods, Enright, Corey)

- Rnd 22 (Geel Bye)

Coll V's Bris (All Coll, Maybe Adcock)

Other games are nearly all must win games or wins needed as they may be playing each other in the finals (mind games).

- Rnd 23 (Carl Bye)

Bris V's WC (Cox, Kerr, Priddis)

Other games are nearly all must win games or wins needed as they may be playing each other in the finals (mind games).

GRAND FINAL WEEK:

- Rnd 24

Syd V's Bris (ROK, Goods, Bolton, Melceski, Grundy)
    GCS V's Haw (Take your pick)

A final thought: If your looking at pick players up in the finals based on easy wins, high possessions and scores. Then think wisely and consider match ups with the opposition. Dont buy in all Hawks or Coll players and also consider the rookies who need a freshen up before finals.

Never buy before teams are nominiated and use the ticker to help selections.

Good Luck Everyone.
    My mates are going down this year.

Cheers
    Des

3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

Stupid fomatting... I had paragraphs when I typed this, now it looks like an alphabet vomitted on the page. Sigh!

4. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

thanks DD

You have made a good case for why there may be less General soreness this year, which will increase the number of downgrades I do as I won't be trading sideways as much unless it is to cover byes.

I am still hoping someone might be able to suggest some likely downgrades aftert this round sees Talia and Callinan (if he plays) leave the $2 bins ??

Cheers
    TTH

5. whips

whips New Member

G'day TTH.
    I'm in a similar boat but am not overly worried. As teams fall away from Top 8 contention, they'll blood some rookies for experience. And IMO it'd be a hard-arsed coach who drops a kid after a few games so hopefully they have reasonable JS for the few rounds remaining.
    Like you, I could only find Talia and Callinan and took the risk of recruiting these guys before they were on the bubble - needed to free up cash for upgrades.
    And also like you, I can't find anyone obvious coming through - but I'm sure a few will.
    I'll be keeping an eye on the Fresh Meat and, if in doubt, downgrading to players from teams out of contention.