DT question - Ruck Set up

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Steve, May 1, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

I need to seek some advice for DT thanks.

After this round I am ranked 86th overall.

At the start of the year I did the 2-0-2 ruck set up. My rucks were Cox, Kreuzer, Giles and Redden.

I am starting to get disappointed with Kreuzer's output and it got to the stage where I benched him for Round 5 and I played Cox and Giles on the ground which worked out ok as Giles outscored Kreuzer by 29.

My issue is that by having Kreuzer sitting on the bench, it is a lof of money ($326K) that is being wasted.

Should I look at trading out Kreuzer to a cheap ruckman (maybe the Big O) to raise some cash which will mean I will able to upgrade one of mid rookies to a premium midfielder? I need to upgrade my midfield as soon as possible - currently have 4 premium mids (Swan, Thompson, Boyd and Murphy)

The only problem with this is come round 11, both Cox and Giles have the same bye. I could be in trouble in this round if none of my R3 and R4 are playing that week.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. jibba

jibba Member

Wouldn't do that at all. Keep Kreuzer as he has the latest BYE.
    Trade out COX to someone like Sandilands (when he gets games)
    Then during the BYES, you will not get a single donut in the rucks (provided Giles, Sandi and Krezeur all play)
    So Bye 1: Sandi and Kroo, Bye 2: Giles and Kroo, Bye 3: Giles and Sandi

You are ranked very highly, so I think you should worry more about avoiding pointless zeroes rather than trying to get another premium mid.
    I highly doubt Redden and Stephenson will play during the BYE period, it's better to plan for this now.

3. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

You're doing really well steve good luck

Trading out kreuzer for big O might generate some cash but his JS is crap you might need to call on him one week (like i did this week) and he's nowhere to be seen except maybe in the reserves which is not much good.

One option would be to bench him and play giles instead when brogan isnt playing = more points for giles or can you find the cash to switch him for mcintosh? while goldstein is out of the side he'll surely continue to score big. If you're other two mids are scoring well like mcdonald or magner for example you might be able to wait another week to upgrade to another premium midfiedler? especially as sam mitchell will be cheap in a couple of weeks courtesy of the weekends score ive already got my eye on mitchell for my next upgrade

4. jibba

jibba Member

Mcintosh, Giles and Cox all share the same bye, double zero there

It's up to you I guess, if you want to avoid zeroes during the byes, get Sandi
    If you wanna earn those points from an extra mid premium, but sacrifice a zero during byes, May as well give Kroo the boot.

5. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Firstly,
    just let me say big kudos Steve!
    for getting youself in such a strong position.

How many trades in hand?

& dont forget bye round balance when upgrading.

Hopefully Hargrave, Mohr, Keneddy, Redden, Porps & Hall all return for you next round.

I'd have to set stats to DT and spend a bit of time assessing before being able to advise in any helpful way
    & am happy to do that during the week.

As it stands though, for now,
    from what I can see at a glance,
    if not broken, don't fix.
    Save trades if at least 4 of the 6 above mentioned are all inclusions next week.

6. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for your help guys.

I am torn over this one as I think I need to get my 5th premium mid into my team as soon as possible as they will generate more points over time than a ruckman (Giles or Kreuzer) sitting on my bench.

However, the thing that complicates matters is the dreaded bye situation over rounds 11,12 and 13.

You have given me something to think about in regards to Sandi. Looks like Cox is going to time share a lot with Nic Nat in the ruck which is going to impact on his scores.

Looking back now I should have gone 1-0-3 in the ruck but I did not expect Giles to do as well as he has.

This game is so tough with decisions like this as you need to take risks along the way!

I have 20 trades left and around $60k in the bank.

7. jibba

jibba Member

Another strategy could be to complete your mids before the bye.
    And have say, Boyd & Thompson, Pendles & Swan, Murphy & Ablett
    (iuno about who's in your team, but you get the drift, two mids missing each bye)
    This could score you maybe 40-50 points over teams playing a dodgy midfield rookie

Also looking back, I would've gone 0-1-3. McIntosh has played amazingly, I can't believe I overlooked him!

8. Moblets

Moblets New Member

i don't think kreuzer gets enough of the footy for DT so i would be looking to trade. good work so far mate.

9. TigersTooTough

TigersTooTough Administrator

Get rid of Kreuzer. As good as he is spread the money elsewhere. I had McEvoy Kreuzer and Giles and downgraded Kreuz to use money elsewhere. Maybe downgrade to someone that has pretty good JS. Maybe an Ayce Cordy could be a cheaper option especially for the bye weeks