Ellis VS Morris

Discussion in 'AFL' started by H_Dons, Mar 26, 2012.

1. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

This could potentially be quite a predicament.

If Spurr is elevated off the rookie list this week (possible, if not unlikely) I need to get him onto my bench.
    I am keeping Bugg and Clarke, so it comes down to removing one of the tiger rookies, but which one??? Morris or Ellis?

Even if Spurr doesn't get elevated, having 3 tigers in DEF is probably a risk (I've got Lids too of course). So would like to hear the opinions on both Morris and Ellis? Feedback much appreciated thanks

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Ellis is a first year player although built solidly, can find the pill, very good user of the ball whose scoring potential is higher than Morris' imo. Morris whilst being the mature age player doesn't seem to have the disposal efficiency of Ellis and I can see him being used as more of a medium/small lockdown defender at times, therefore I place Ellis ahead of Morris. Having said that, I currently have both of them in my side but plan on starting Ellis on field.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

^ Agree with AA's analysis, and the advice to have both (as I have).

Hopefully they are both named, as their preseason indicated they should be. Even if Morris isn't named I am tempted to keep him. They recruited a mature-age player for a reason.

But all this depend's on Spurr's elevation (or lack thereof).

4. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Thanks AA great advice.
    Well I too think its unlikely that Spurr will be elevated, I was told Pearce is also on their rookie list so if this is the case then he would surely be promoted before Spurr.
    Looks like I'll just hold onto them, can always upgrade one of the tigers before the round 13 BYE.
    Hopefully they do both get named, but at the same time I have Bugg as my emergency for cover.

5. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

I've got Deledio, Ellis and Morris at the moment, taken in that order as I propose to upgrade one of Morris or Ellis by the bye. Ellis over Morris though. Sam Shaw now in consideration for me following the news on Rutten.

6. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

Why would you select Spurr over Ellis or Morris anyway? I reckon they both have greater JS than Spurr. Do you believe Spurr has better scoring potential?

And having multiple players from the same team isn't as big a deal this year since byes aren't team-based. They will have mooed by round 13 anyway and you will hopefully have traded them out.

7. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

I've gone with Morris over Ellis,
    agree with AA that Ellis looks to have better scoring potential, (eventually)
    although for now, I can't ignore the mature age advantage.
    Another consideration here is, which of the 2 is more likely to be handed the dreaded vest?

8. Bongwater

Bongwater Guest

Going with both, one will be in Slaughterhouse when the bye hits.

9. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Ellis for mine - and that's for the simple reason that he has been taking the kick outs during off season and pre-season.

As a RFC supporter, that indicates a higher level of job security for him.

Not saying Morris won't play, but I'm not sure how many he'll play - he may be on the fringes of the best 22-25 at Punt Road.

And you can't take anything away from team selection for Round 1 if Morris and Ellis are both chosen. Conca will return round 2 and will most likely play - meaning someone will have to go back to the magoos. For mine, that is likely to be Morris.

10. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Thanks so much for all this feedback!

Taking the kick-outs is a very positive sign, so I'm sticking with Ellis.

Although the vest could be an issue, it usually goes to a more traditional midfielder or forward, so I'm hoping Ellis escapes the dreaded vest. I think I'll keep both for now, one can just get the chop before the BYE.

11. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Agreed. highly unlikely Ellis will be in-vest-ed.
    Morris a good chance to be regular emergency - cover for the backs.
    Spurr is high on people's lists cos he looks far advanced than the tige twins - as a player that is.
    Whether he gets a spot is another issue - but for sheer ease at the top level, he's best option.
    Problem is Ross Boron and who he has as favourite - if spurr is a fave lock him in. (Broughton to mids leaves a spot in the back half).

12. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

If you use the kickouts as an option, then Yagmoor > Clarke at Collingwood.

Not sure it matters in the NAB to be honest. For Richmond Newman might still do the job in the main stuff.

Ellis over Morris for mine, but both should get a run at Tigerland surely, if not then Richmond might be better this year.

13. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Sticking with both. Bird in the hand and all that. However, do recall that adding weight to Webberly last year was agonizingly slow amid reports of how well he was going in the magoos raising many hopes.

Yags might get at least one run with Maxwell now out.

14. Muppets

Muppets Member

Both > Ellis > Morris. I have both with Lids and would drop Clarke for Spurr if you get the opportunity. Bank the cash there to use somewhere else or later on.

15. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

I like the idea of dropping Clarke for Spurr. Also, in relation to Ross Lyon, if he chooses to promote Spurr over Pearce, I will take this as Spurr being one of his favorites, and he will be locked in.

Clarke imo is going to score 60-80 ppg and is the equivalent price of a high draft pick, but he's mature and should be more consistent. Just depends how rusty he is early. Spurr could be on par with those figures, but at a lower price. Time will tell.

Staying away from Yags, just don't like his JS if it even exists, plus he's got VEST written all over him.

16. Tino

Tino Member

Got both, one of the two (or both) will be downgraded before the Tigers bye comes. I reckon they're both prime beef waiting to be nurtured, raised and slaughtered.

17. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Couldn't have described them better myself.

18. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

On Morris, Newman talked him up in the news today. He said that playing Morris would release Deledio into the midfield.

I think this is music to every SC player's ears. But let's see it happen in practice before we get too excited.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Newman's been talking up Morris from early in the preseason actually. I've heard him on two earlier occasions over the past 6 weeks or so give Morris a big plug for a permanent spot in the 22.

20. H_Dons

H_Dons New Member

Looks like they are now both locked in for me then.

And Clarke will make way for Spurr if he's promoted by Ross.