Emgergencies Scores - Is It Really Worth It?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by stkildathunda, Mar 25, 2012.

1. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Im bit staggered at the amount people rushing to change their lineup to bring on 88 points for Bugg & co. Lets be realistic, you are going to have to field a non playing player, someone that isnt even guarunteed to play Round 2, round 3 or anytime soon. So you are going to be a cash cow down on rest of competition, for what possibly 15-20 points? Is it really worth it?

Remember its a marathon, not a sprint.

2. chewy

chewy New Member

good point mate its one game in a long,long year lets see a few games first and trust your instincts with who you put on the field!

3. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Remember guys if you do this stratergy, the player you omit might just come out and take the game apart and score more than the player you had as an emergency!! You then gave egg on your face and one less rookie to moo early!!

4. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Ah yes thats one bit i forgot to add in! Its almost certain he will outscore your emergency, its the way this game works!!

5. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I have Kennedy as my mids emergency, have my fingers crossed that Magner won't be quite ready to play round 1 for the demons. Will still happily keep him in my side but then can use kennedy's 104 which would be great.

6. Tango

Tango New Member

Love this post SKT! A lot of people thinking short term on this, to the detriment of their team down the track. Say you do go down this track. What happens if one of your starting premiums cops an early short-term injury and that non-playing player still hasn't been named? You now only have the choice of 1 player as cover for that premium, rather than being able to choose between 2 rookies to play. Assuming your premium is scheduled to come back in 1 or 2 weeks and you won't trade them out, you leave yourself with no emergency cover for any late withdrawals. I know I'm throwing up a lot of what ifs here, but they're very real possibilities. The game is about taking risks, but I don't see this as a smart risk.

7. weazel

weazel Member

i encourage all sc and dt coaches to do this as it is means one less person i have to beat for the 50k lol :)

8. bigshow

bigshow Member

I have Kennedy and Mcdonald on the bench and will NOT be playing an unselected player to gain their points. In saying that, i wasn't far off the top prize last year (48th) and had Selwood as captain round one and lost 140 points as Swanny ripped it up. How would someone feel if they missed out on 50 grand by 60 points???? The risk far out ways the reward

9. Fez

Fez Moderator

I just relized the leagues don't start till round 3 , as someone only focusing on them I'm not going to worry about it

10. Turbs

Turbs New Member

Ahhh fez very true ... same boat here

11. yt

yt New Member

yea i havent even bothered setting emmergencies for the exact same reason... doesnt seem like a very good strategy unless you know the player you select will play r2 onwards

12. DC

DC Member

Agree with this... bugg and kennedy on my bench.. extra $$$ for us long term... think about the coaches who 'missed the boat' on getting those two guys in there starting squad... saves us a trade getting them into our team!~!

13. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

It's a marathon not a sprint.

14. Fedor

Fedor New Member

Well, I have Luke Brown in my defence bench at the moment and I have a feeling he won't be playing round one anyway. Unless I decide to change Brown for someone who will play this round, I can put Brown on the field instead of Ellis and take Bugg's emergency score. The question is, do I think Ellis can outscore Bugg? and do I still want Brown in my team?

Also, by the way, what's the news on Brown. I've heard him talked up a lot, but he got that glassing injury and hasn't played yet. Do you think he will play early?

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

And when your non-scoring rookie doesn't play for half a season and you cop some early injuries and have no playing bench defender, how many points and how much potential cash lost without another cash cow is that going to cost you?

16. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

disastrous night for me/

shiel and smith on field over kennedy and mcondald! and mumford captain!

17. weazel

weazel Member

as previously stated you can do this if a) you have selected them as an emg b)start a non playing player.
    just a couple of things to consider is what if the player you picked doesn't get a game until mid season you have missed out on cow or the player you trade out for a non player actually outscores the selected emg. @bigshow well done on 48th but there is 1000's of what if moments over the season that can make or break a season and theres no way of nowing the effect until it's done.

18. Stampede

Stampede Member

There's no way it would be worth the risk to compromise your bench selections at all for, as has been pointed out, around 20 points - or to be more precise the possibility of around 20 points. The only way it would be logical to do this would be if you have the ability to predict the total score that each of the two rookies you are considering will produce in the entire year *to within 20 points*, and have calculated that the non-playing one will score less than 20 points less than the other one across the year, therefore putting you ahead overall. If you think you can predict this, be my guest and pick the non-playing one.

Or you could pick your rookies based on much broader factors like job security and scoring ability - each of which will be worth way more than 20 points for the year if you get it right.

19. bigshow

bigshow Member

Spot on Weasel, the game throws lots of curve balls at you through the year. Captain choices, injury and suspensions for your players and crap loads of luck is required. How many people out there are actually considering this tactic???

20. banz

banz New Member

Just be careful with Junior in the mids, if u pick a non starter AND junior
    gets games for the bump round 2 good get interesting. MPP aside.