For those who have McCauley...

Discussion in 'AFL' started by way2serious, Apr 23, 2011.

1. way2serious

way2serious New Member

many may not have had him selected as emergency but i thought just on the off chance that he goes high ill set him as one anyway.

I was only expecting 50 or there abouts, but now that he got 88 and i have the big man Cox out due to the bye i am stuck with the dilemma of whether to play McCauley or Smith... also in smiths favour he has done very well so far and also is up against Port so should also have a decent week.

what to do, what to do?

2. spud

spud New Member

While Smith could indeed go a bit higher, under usual circumstances you'd be more than happy with that from a backup ruckman. I'd be taking that to be honest, no point rolling the dice with that sort of score from a cheapy.

3. way2serious

way2serious New Member

yes i agree spud, atm i have put cox back on the field, McCauley's 88 is pretty close to the 100 mark which i think i will take considering it is my ruck back up but i do think against port smith should do well. but will probs stick with McCauley and find out tommorow if it is the right choice or not

4. spud

spud New Member

Sounds like a plan, mate.
    Had he scored a 65-70, then yeah, given Smith has been doing well I would have said why not? As even if he only scored a 50 or so you'd only be losing out by 15-20 points, but an 88 is pretty hard to pass up.

I simply feel there is more to be lost than gained as a 50 from Smith would mean you miss out on 33, while another 100, which is pretty decent from the big man, would only net you an additional 12.

Too much risk and not enough upside. It's a great position to be in, though :)

5. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Yes i totally agree with the math there, particularily with rucks who do occasionally have a flop (ryder last week) and also being a rookie, they tend not to be as consistent. and yes although i think he should do well i can't really see Smith going way beyond 100. well thanks hoping McCauley is the right one :)

6. AchillesII

AchillesII New Member

I'm going to use McCauley's 88 in place of whatever Cam Richardson is going to dish out. Petrie now moves to the forward line instead of being on field in the ruck, J Tippett takes the field in the ruck, Petrie will sub Richardson out...

Would be the funniest thing of the season if McCauley were to overtake Smith in points/price for the season. How many people picked McCauley just because he was at the bottom of the list of rucks, being the cheapest ruck you could pick up?

7. way2serious

way2serious New Member

haha, i know i had heard that he was meant to get a few games this season, but to be honest i didnt think R4 meant much to me so got him as he was the cheapest but yeah i reckon a few had no idea when putting him in.

Yes well worked achilles, unfortunately i am going to have to play richo this week. although against my beloved tigers he should do better than what he has previously

8. Locky

Locky New Member

Glad I named Macauley as Emerg. I have Petrie instead of Smith, so the decision is slightly easier, as Petrie doesn't even have any recent form to persuade me.

I'm more thankful that Richardson is still named, as he gets at least an extra week to go up in price before trading for J Tippett and bringing Petrie forward. Hoping I can get a couple of weeks out of him though before having to do that.

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Z. Smith will be up against Brogan at AAMI - not the easiest of tasks as Broges has been doing alright so far this season. McCauley's score is a case of count your blessings.

Having Smith/McCauley now also opens up the possibility of fattening one of them to turn into Derickx down the track for some cash.

10. way2serious

way2serious New Member

port do have a hot tick in the ruck though and im sorry TIB i see you are a PA supporter but this will probably be GC's easiest opponent so far

11. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how Port can have a hot tick in the ruck when they have never played GC in the season proper. If they were to use either Gorringe/Fraser in combination with Smith i can see they might wear Brogan out, but I have serious doubts about Smith scoring more than 88.
    As mentioned elsewhere, I expect GAJ to go big, but that should be the only joy on an otherwise miserable day for GC.

12. way2serious

way2serious New Member

Yeh i am pretty sure i am going to stick with McCauley's 88. i am happy with that for a ruck back up, but i really do reckon smith should have another good week tommorow.
    It is really just the risk factor that is my reason for sticking with McCauley. 88 is a decent score and smith is most likely not going to get anything over 110 i would say but there could be the chance (especially being a young kid and as you said in a side that will get belted) that he may bomb out and only get 30.
    so yeh i think McCauley is the safe bet but i think Smith is better than 50/50 odds to beat 88

13. Fez

Fez Moderator

Not one GC player scored more then 95 last week, chances the ruckmen will top 88 is outragoues

14. graeme

graeme Guest

bit more difficult when if I bring McCauley in I have to bench Ryder or Sandilands!

Better ponder that for a while.

Whatever the rise in value is nice

regards
    chels

15. way2serious

way2serious New Member

While i am sticking with mccauley Fez, just take note of a few stats i have found.
    3 of the 4 main rucks that have played port scored above their season average. smith averages 87 and so far is one of gold coasts most consistent players.
    also the 4 main ruck scores against port have averaged 90.5 which includes a 61 from out of form Jolly and a dismal 43 from Maric

16. bfish

bfish New Member

Brogan is a late out for Port. Zac's time to shine??? I have an 88 banked from Broc. Decision time.

17. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm sticking with Broc's 88.

18. AchillesII

AchillesII New Member

If i had Zmith i'd probably go with him now over Broc, knowing that Brogan is out... Port is not a very good side and i would tip that many more of his hitouts will go to advantage, to someone like Risky or Ablett.

19. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Broc 88 > Zac 69

Correct call for my team, anyone else make the right switch?

20. way2serious

way2serious New Member

well yes i stuck with McCauley...

but apoligies to fez and TIB or any others that i said were wrong, i admit defeat. i was wrong about smith beating mccauley :(
    but can not beleive that in a winning team, and with brogan a late exclusion i find it ridiculous how he has gone from 84, 94, 83 to a 69