Gary Ablett

Discussion in 'AFL' started by DC, May 23, 2011.

1. DC

DC Member

Ok so who is picking him up this week? (528k – BE of 83)

No more byes to come!

Going off his last game he sure is looking the goods BUT will he play out the season?

Should someone like a Mundy/Thompson be looked at before him?

Is it too much of a risk to get him if you are just going for a league win?

Discuss..

2. The_General

The_General Member

I will seriously look at bringing him in. Yes there is the injury scare there, but not too many others have the potential to go as big as he can.

Depends what your mids setup is like. Also depends heavily on the Sandi diagnosis, I think there are better options than both Mundy/Thompson available e.g Pendles, Judd, Selwood, Boyd, Montagna.

3. clackerz

clackerz Member

Not sure myself....been watching him with interest.
    I was looking get Boyd in before Ablett, but his BE makes me think twice with Boyds BE still high.
    Also Judd has a high BE and watch this week to see if he's rested.
    Thompson looks the goods as well.
    Also there's the Sandi concern - but alot of teams have him.

I think GC are starting to work it out, so Ablett is def one to seriously think about.

4. DC

DC Member

Mundy and Thompsons byes are during the league bye

Judd/Boyd/Pendles still have a bye to come with Judds coming in the first final

Have.. Swan/Selwood/Montagna/Mitchell already

However this question was more of a general question about who is getting him and why and not relating back to my team :)

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I still think there are better options than GAJ. Scoring is a little up and down for me, and there's always that worry on a calf injury or the like.

Hodge surely has to be looked at this week, and wait a bit on Mundy/Boyd for their high BEs to lower their prices.

Still like the look of Ricschetelli too.

6. fryzie

fryzie New Member

I always planned to get him in this week and won't be faltering now. Down 100k and proved just before the bye that he still has it. If he cab score 200 in a loss, imagine what he can do if Gold Coast string a few wins together! Can't overlook him cos he "might" get injured. Negative approach like that will never win you the 50k.

7. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

Agree with the need to take risks fryzie, however I still think I need to see one more score from him just to see how he goes when Gold Coast lose by 100 points, because it will happen a few more times this year. If he tons up against Geelong I'll bring him in.

8. The_General

The_General Member

Hodge is just as much of a risk as ablett injury wise with the added risk of players taking points off him.

9. The_General

The_General Member

and developing general soreness in rd24.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Agree Matty C, I will wait and see what he does against quality opposition before I bring him in. Others way before him I reckon. I'd rather Mundy and Boyd to complete the midfield personally. More pros than cons to them.

11. fryzie

fryzie New Member

Interesting that Ablett may be a POD if he only scores 90ish this week... If Sandi is out I can see Mundy's scores suffering.

12. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

The advantage of Ablett is that even if he has a rest, if it's only 1 week then you dont lose any ground as everyone apart from Ablett still has at least one bye left.

13. demonspud

demonspud Member

I'm concerned about him being played at the end of the season, when you need him the most. He might get some time off.

14. hippy

hippy New Member

Might be worth waiting a week anyway. He's going to get bashed by the cats.

15. The_General

The_General Member

no way will ablett be rested. They spent millions getting him up there and he is a massive publicity and branding figure. Same reason K. Hunt continues to play.

16. DC

DC Member

I also doubt he will get rested come end of the year

17. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Will be waiting for Lucas' best buys with considerable anticipation. Think he might have GAJ in his sights.

18. phil_nev

phil_nev New Member

Surely the reason he has been rested in the past close to finals is because he is actally playng finals.... With no finals for GC this year, you would think he would be playing in rnd 24 barring injury.

I'm tossing up between GAJ and Boyd (and perhaps hodge) to complete the mids at the momeent..
    Swan, Pendles, Selwood, Monty, Munday, Libba Jr,

19. ThommoDees

ThommoDees New Member

I agree with Fryzie, re Mundy's scores suffering due to Sandi's injury.

I'm tossing up between Hodge, GAJ and Mundy to fill my last midfield spot. I think GAJ is actually the least risk of the three, so will bring him in this week.

Off topic, but i'm interested to hear peoples thoughts re Chapman v Fyfe. I'm stuggling to split these two for my final fwd spot.

20. eagles2011

eagles2011 New Member

Gunna have to let the GAJ train go (just don't trust him this year, even with his one massive score), all my cows still have ridiculously low BEs and I will save my last mid spot for Swan after his bye. Hopefully Malthouse will take the competition seriously by then and stop experimenting with his team.