GnR Set up question

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Len, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

What am I missing here?

This is my first year seriously looking at the GnR strategy, but I am struggling to see how to get the most out of value increases through trading.

If I pick 14 (Premium) 1 (Mid) 2 (Cheapies) 13 (Rookies) as currently selected, and as I understand the goal to be. An upgrade will take two weeks and a minimum of 3 trades to gain a player that will score above Mid range, and I will have unspent salary carrying over a week.

If I instead start with 4 Mids and 12 Premiums, then on at least 4 occasions, presuming I have picked Mids who perform at their deemed value, I should be able to upgrade to guns in a single step.

Am I missing something in the first instance or is the second instance in fact the “better” way to approach it?

Cheers

2. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

Hey Len,

GNR basically works like this:

2 Rookies @~100k, hopefully you nail some good ones pre-season and they ave. ~70ppg.

By around R7-9, they've both increased their value to 300-350k.

Trade 'em both out, you have 600-700k to play with.

1 is replaced with a ~100k rookie, leaving 500-600k to pick up a premium. All done in one week.

N.B There will most likely be times when you have to downgrade 2 rookies for one upgrade as cash will be low ie. Rookies don't ave ~70ppg, or the premium you want is more expensive.

3. Len

Thanks Hornsy,
    It looks like my issue was the result of asuming I would be looking for round 4 upgrades, if the strat is to wait till round 7 before moving I can see the values adding up correctly.

Cheers

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Round 4 is way too early to cash anything in. There will only have been one price rise at this time and if I recall correctly the highest single-week price adjustment last year was around $100k, maybe a bit over. There is much more money to be made than just $100k from a rookie that has gone up that much by R4.

The trick is not hanging on to the rookies for too long. It is a bit of a trap for newcomers to hold onto your price-rising rookies to eke out the last $5-10k or whatever that they might rise in value. To be avoided, cull 'em and get the premium-guns in ASAP.

5. Len

Thanks Jason,
    Trading is one thing I am seriously focussing on getting right this year, last year I started with 2250 in the first round but then destroyed my team with stupid trades.
    It wasn't until R14 or 15 when I had hardly any trades left, and my team was seriously struggling that I realised the error..
    I understand the BE graphs etc now so hopefully I have learned the lesson.