GWS watch: Who is in your sights?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Bob, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

I'm surprised there's not a thread on this, or am I just going blind?

Which GWS players put their hand up to be selected in your team last night?

There weren't too many surprises for me.

Giles, McDonald and Darley firmed for me, while Hampton and Cameron are definitely still in my sights.

Anyone else push themselves into contention for y'all?

2. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

The three you mentioned are pretty spot on Bob.

Anybody know why Adam Kennedy didn't play at all? I haven't heard any injury news and he was on my radar.

Tomas Bugg could be a defence option. If he is used as a tagger it could lead him to the ball a bit, like it did when he was on Swanny/Thomas last night.

Mohr looked composed but doesn't look to be a prolific scorer. Will get games though.

I don't want any players from GWS that will only play forward as I don't believe the ball will get down there enough. Matera was a gun but didn't earn too much cash last year and was so up and down because he played exclusively as a forward and didn't see enough of the pill.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Miles looks like a real goer, could be a decent replacement for Shiel if the rumours of his foot injury are true. McDonald looked in decent shape for an old bloke. Darley almost a lock for the backs imo.

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Cooyou had a bit of something special.

5. sean

sean New Member

Was behind the goals at the game last night and was impressed by Mohr. Big fast defensive unit - Could work as a ruck if necessary. Will keep an eye on him. Don't know if he'll be one of those hardworking full back nullifiers that doesn't get points though... but worth a look.

Izzy was lost. I wanted to like him, I want him to do well, but he didn't . Looked lost. What was interesting was the number of times he was left unattended, but it seemed even his team mates weren't looking for him.

On the other hand watched Swan from the forward line directing play just by the direction he was running. No one was watching Izzy. Makes you think the team know something we'll all work out later on.

And (why don't you say what you really think) that free kick awarded against Mohr, which cost the Giants the game was absolutely the stupidest piece of atrocious umpiring I've ever seen.

And I've suffered through Razor Ray with the Swans.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Happened to Waite a

years ago, it's part of the rules.

7. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Giles, McDonald, Mohr and Darly are currently in my team, Hampton has been in and out.
    The one who really impressed me last night was Bugg, his disposal was excellent an I can see him getting a lot of the ball off half back. Cooyou did do a couple of nice things but I doubt he'd be able to keep that up for the year.

@MattyC I'd be shocked if Mohr didn't get a lot of games, he's a mature big body with experience. However I'm not so sure he'll get a lot of points as a key position player though.

8. hawks2008

hawks2008 Member

Tomlinson is a good option, especially since he is both defence and fwd, which is good for people who have billie smedts ( like me). Also keen to have a look at treloar

9. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Hawks2008-Any idea why Treloar didnt play? Is he injured?

10. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Lucas has definitely got a man-crush on Cooyou.

11. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from sean on February 19, 2012, 13:41
    And (why don't you say what you really think) that free kick awarded against Mohr, which cost the Giants the game was absolutely the stupidest piece of atrocious umpiring I've ever seen. </blockquote>

You are aware that there is a rule against time-wasting I take it? The rule has been around for a lot longer than GWS.

12. sean

sean New Member

Yes - but it was just a spoil of the ball from just behind the goal line. It didn't waste any time.

SOFT.

(possibly I'm wrong, but everyone at my end of the ground thought it was pathetic. :)

(which were all Giants and Collingwood fans)

(so there wouldn't have been any anti - ump bias)

(at all)

(well maybe it was a bit sooky and time wasting)

(*sigh* maybe it was fair enough) : - )

BTW - and on the other side of the ledger, there was that goal kicked by (can't remember who) from the WBD that absolutely threaded the needle from where we were (Which was optimal), but the umps gave it a point.

I thought they were going to try video review for the NAB cup - would have been a great chance to try it out ....

Guess it evens itself out in the end :)

Anyway - enough ump whinging.

13. crew

crew New Member

@ Sean.............Agree it was soft.

14. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Jason on February 19, 2012, 21:13
    Lucas has definitely got a man-crush on Cooyou.</blockquote>

Agreed. I heard he's already serenaded him with a crate of red herrings.