Have you set out a longterm plan?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Sainterz12, May 20, 2011.

1. Sainterz12

Sainterz12 Member

Today I decided to try and guesstimate my future trades to figure out what rookies to bring in and if I will be able to afford the team I want. Has anyone done this and what do you plan on doing?
    My rough idea (With DT prices in account, will see if the same plan works on SC later today) is:

R9- 226,000
    Petrie > Goodes - 160,000
    Thompson > Jacobs - 260,000
    R10- 260,000
    Matera > Lynch - 350,000
    Liberatore > Ablett - 200,000
    R11- 200,000
    Harris > Mzungu - 350,000
    Krakouer > Chapman - 200,000
    R12- 200,000
    Duigan > Suckling - 100,000
    Swallow > Watson - 0
    R16- 0
    Z. Smith > Rookie - 200,000
    Darling > Sylvia - 100,000
    -5 Trades Remaining-

That'll leave me with premiums and Heppell in D7 which honestly I can leave him there. I could be tempted to upgrade him with the cash left over, but I feel like resting will become a massive issue towards the end of this year. I'd like to keep a few trades in case disaster strikes.
    Thoughts?

2. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I tend to put together a strong plan for this week and next, then just sortof, pencil in who I'll be upgrading/downgrading in the weeks after.

3. Flameboy23

Flameboy23 New Member

Plans get blown apart way too quickly...two weeks is about as far forward as I get before things get crazy!!!

4. DC

DC Member

I agree on the 2 weeks is far enough to plan for....

5. clackerz

clackerz Member

Yeah I think you can only lock in short-term plans - as walesy said this and next week, then do the same next week rolling the 2 week scenarios.

Too much changes each week, to put too much effort into looking long-term.

I think it's a good idea to know who you want in your team long-term, but when they come in may change depending on injuries, BE's, team selections etc.

6. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Moderator

Been impossible to plan more than a couple of weeks ahead this year....byes, subs....AAAGH

7. graeme

graeme Guest

Not sure I agree with you completely clackerz, but that might be my unique(ish) set of circumstances!

My plan is along the lines of thinking about the next two weeks trades but always in the context of looking (dreaming?) about how many trades i will want / need during the league finals.

The desirability of having perhaps a minimum of 6 trades for that period focuses me more than the short term. I am lucky in that I am reasonably sure I will be in the top 8 in DT but the TS Sc league is way, way harder - I am planning on having a shot at winning the bottom 8.

All the time this is in the context of a first year participant and just learning what I can.

regards
    chels

8. torcida

torcida Member

had my fwd line set up from the start - havent made any changes there and the way darling is playing i dont think i will (he will stay at f7).

need one more upgrade in def (hoping 2 bring goddard in for duigan/stanley.

that leaves me midfield.
    got 3 keepers there swan/selwood and pavlich midpriced cotchin will prob be upgraded before the bye

harris/krak/libba will stay and will be rotating them for another 2-3 weeks untill they peak

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Like Walesy I have a longer term plan that changes as BEs and circumstances change.

That said, I think the philosophy of up-down trades throughout rounds probably 7 to 14 where you burn through 14 trades and upgrade 7 positions to jets is an absolute must.

I reckon Round 18 will be the one where the highest scores will come out this season.

Fully upgraded sides, not many will miss a premium because it's Port Adelaide, it has all the hallmarks of a 2750 week.

10. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, and the Pies play GC that weekend LOL :D

11. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Moderator

Agree with Lucas that this is the time to be madly upgrading.
    Quite a few teams (mine included) will be fielding fully upgraded midfields by this weekend.
    I've gone for 'midfield first' policy of upgrades as I think that this is where the most points are to be gained, given the crappy averages in the backs and to some extent the fwds.
    Only a few of the def prems seem to be scoring much higher than the good def rooks so it seems logical to leave these upgrades until last.

12. LeisureSuitLion

LeisureSuitLion New Member

Im in my 2nd (or 3rd...if it is, i cant remember the first year) year of SC, and I find the going is a bit smoother with a long term plan.

Last year, partly for laughs and a bit of hope for a pleasant surprise, i stacked my team with rookies and eneded up trading 2 almost every week to just stay around the 1600 mark. Eventually went over 2000 for the last 3 rounds, but i was not in any finals series.

This year, I had a plan: Balanced team, leaning towards rookies (4-6 guns, 10-12 solids, 2-4 "my 2011 $300k bolters", and fill 'er up with rookies), and currently average 2050 (19,946th).

My long term plan from now - since my focus is on head-to-head - is to slowly remove NM, GEEL, CA, and ESS players (except for smoking guns like Selwood and Judd) and replace them with players after their side's bye round.

My list is currently: Deledio (for Duigan) after r11, Ablett (for chapman) after this round, Fisher (for B.smith) after r14, with sylvia and o'keefe (for s.johnson and b.harvey) whenever the stars align.

As a rookie, I ask you seasoned veterans - am I on the right track to SC superstardom? If not this year, in coming years? Is there a flaw in my thinking that I need to correct?

13. torcida

torcida Member

Xenomorph -
    i went backline first coz i felt more comfortable having someone like libba or harris on the field instead of lower or thompson

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Its always handy to have it jotted into an excel spread sheet. I have my options listed with salaries left over and what flexibility I have for next week.
    It only looks a few weeks ahead, but longer term targets are written there also. Really helps to have it all in front of you.

15. torcida

torcida Member

LeisureSui-
    tLion - there is no way u can cash on rookies upgrade and still having enough trades left to sidetrade 5-6 players

16. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Moderator

Torcida -I can see your logic there. I get nervous every time I have Lower on the field in case he gets subbed AGAIN.
    My reasoning is that I stand to gain more from a 80 average player traded to a 120 (midfield)(40 ppg) than a 75 average (Lower) to a 100-105 average def prem (25-30 ppg).
    Brodie Smith illustrated your point for me pretty well last weekend, though.

17. LeisureSuitLion

LeisureSuitLion New Member

you reckon? ive got 14 trades left, and i thought 5-6 should be alright.

Duigan to Deledio and B.Smith to Fisher aren't quite sidetrades, are they?

Sylvia and O'keefe can wait until rounds 19-20.

Should i be sticking with my side (barring injuries, etc) until ive got 2 trades a week to the end?

18. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

I have the philosophy to not overload on any team, aka balance. Although my forte is premier league, i think it holds up when a team has an off week and players scores suffer accordingly. Only 2 prems/club. That way when there is a bye you will always be ok. I think Freo are the exception due to them having a bye when there is no league games. Also be wary carlton/essendon/geelong.

As Nick said a spreadsheet with rough plans, watchlists, sums, remaining trades etc always help more when visual. I'm sure everyone is trying to keep 6 trades up their sleeves for the remaining 3 rounds.

However, funamentally this season it's the SC Gods that decide most of my trades, not my plan.

19. torcida

torcida Member

chappman / ablett - dont c the point of that trade mate.
    i know u wanna trade geelong and carlton players out before the finals.
    we r lucky 2 have 5-6 trades left once the side is fully upgraded

20. torcida

torcida Member

Xenomorph - yeah mate , that b.smith cost me weekly price in dt last week .
    it all depends who u pick and upgrade to need a bit of luck when deciding who to upgrade 1st.
    IMO we should prob pick a premium thats cheapest at the moment no mather which position ( players like gibbs - enright - ROK - GOODES - chappy in a week or 2.
    tried that in DT and i think im in much better position than in SC