Hawks Bonanza

Discussion in 'AFL' started by boydshow, Jul 14, 2011.

1. boydshow

boydshow Guest

This is directed at the 99% of us who are out of the running for overall and focused on leagues now. :(

What are your thoughts on loading up on Hawks, who have GC in GF week? I already have Franklin, Mitchell, I Smith & Puopolo, and I'm looking at adding Hodge, Birchall & Suckling.

Would you start Puopolo & I Smith in GF week over say Broughton & N Riewoldt? Would you trade in Hodge, Birchall & Suckling over say Pendlebury, Shaw & Enright?

2. Quantum

Quantum New Member

Not at all! Remember there are only so many points per game given out, which means they may be spread out more between more players aging the GC. You could trade in 4 hawks players who may all score between 100 and 120, as the points are spread more. Or you could trade in a premium from various teams and more likely have the possibility of scoring big.

As for starting rookies over proven premium, defeats the purpose of having them there, especially in the biggest game of the year, if you make it

3. boydshow

boydshow Guest

<blockquote>Quote from Quantum on July 13, 2011, 20:45
    Not at all! Remember there are only so many points per game given out</blockquote>

GC get less of the points pie than any other side

<blockquote>Quote from Quantum on July 13, 2011, 20:45As for starting rookies over proven premium, defeats the purpose of having them there, especially in the biggest game of the year, if you make it</blockquote>

When you consider that the top 2 sides play each other in round 24, it doesn't seem so silly. Shaw/Enright & S Johnson/Cloke v Geelong/Collingwood, or I Smith & Puopolo v GC?

4. Manikato1

Manikato1 New Member

Remember the spread of points against GC means that a lot of mids and "lower" end players score big against GC and often at the expense of the premiums

5. hodgey

hodgey New Member

you might also find that if the hawks have top 4 sewn up by then they may take round 24 as a chaace to rest a few stars - hodge, mitchell and buddy in particular. Man would that cause some angst in SC grand final week!

6. Quantum

Quantum New Member

<blockquote>Quote from griff on July 13, 2011, 22:01
    <blockquote>Quote from Quantum on July 13, 2011, 20:45
    Not at all! Remember there are only so many points per game given out</blockquote>

GC get less of the points pie than any other side

<blockquote>Quote from Quantum on July 13, 2011, 20:45As for starting rookies over proven premium, defeats the purpose of having them there, especially in the biggest game of the year, if you make it</blockquote>

When you consider that the top 2 sides play each other in round 24, it doesn't seem so silly. Shaw/Enright & S Johnson/Cloke v Geelong/Collingwood, or I Smith & Puopolo v GC?</blockquote>

Well I'll play shaw and Enright and you play puopolo and smith and we will see how we go :p

7. DC

DC Member

'Would you start Puopolo & I Smith in GF week over say Broughton & N Riewoldt?...'

Nope..

I think it is to risky to load up on Hawks..

Who knows if Smith will still be getting a game when the Hawks get their players back from injury...

Also got to make it to the grand final first lol

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I reckon 5 from any team is as much as you'd want.

But yeah a Hawks team with Mitchell, Hodge, Franklin, Rioli and Suckling would be quite dangerous in the last round, particularly if they have to win for top 4 (not out of the realms of possibility)

I have Franklin and Rioli at the moment, and think I will get one more Hawk from here on in.

9. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

Hawks run home;
    Melb-MCG
    Freo-Patterson
    Kangaroos-Tassie
    Port-MCG
    Carl-Ethiad
    Bulldogs-MCG
    GC-GC Stadium.
    Ideally, with some good senior heads to return, clarko and the rest of the gang will want a top 4 spot sewn up long before they have to play the GC.