Heppell

Discussion in 'AFL' started by AndrewW, Jun 19, 2011.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

is it time for him to go? been fantastic all year but now seems to be struggling a bit

2. BJWNFI

BJWNFI Member

I'm seriously considering that move myself next week Andrew. He has been terrific though and could come good at the back end when good benchers are really needed. Scary thing is, Heppell gets you Higgins these days - is that a downgrade?!

3. obleex

obleex New Member

Upgrading him for Gibbs. Will only cost around 50k.

4. DC

DC Member

Averaging 98 at the MCG

I will personally be giving him another go this week and see how he goes at the MCG against the Hawks

5. Muls

Muls New Member

He scores are weaker when Hibberd plays, and correlate reasonably well with Essendon's fortunes.

6. Sainter

Sainter New Member

The kid has been getting tagged I think and keep in mind it's hard for a kid to go a full season, so he might be rested quite soon. I don't have him, and also remember he jas Grand Final Bye, so you'll have to move him on sooner orater, but give him another week.

7. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Have been thinking the same thing myself. I've come to the conclusion that his value lies in being a MPP. Although he isn't in the top 6 or 7 defs/mids he is a good backup for injuries/byes. I'm keeping him.

8. DC

DC Member

Heppell is not getting tagged.

Muls that is right. Essendon have been going through Hibberd more out of the backline.

He loves the MCG so we will see how he goes this week if he is not 'rested'

9. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Him and Darling were always going to run out of steam. As first year players they have done amazingly well to score this well for so long.

To pin your D7/F7 hopes on first years players was always going to be a bit risky.

I hope he is rested, will do the boy good!

10. 82asch

82asch New Member

Am considering moving him on myself as he probably wont hit his BE this week. But to who? you have to gain good points out of the trade. The only sideways trade I could come up with in the backs is Suckling (Avg: 96) but I'm not convinced on him and after reading posts here I think Heppell might stay and I'll hope he finds some SC form. Tough call cause he does have to go at some point!

11. thegob

thegob New Member

Heppell to a gun Mid if you havent filled up that area sounds good to me. I am looking at Mitchell or Pridis

12. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The early run isn't as important as you might think BB, because some of those games only stay in the rolling average for one or two weeks.

13. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Heppell actually doesn't differ much in points between a win and a loss. He has a better rate than defenders, even though they are usually holding their points better in defeats (on average) than forwards.

I certainly have to consider Heppell, but I'm just wary on him getting more attention this year. It's a question on whether he will get ground down, or will become another Fyfe. Could really go either way.

I guess he's another of those top 10% defenders/forwards who is listed as premium, but really you only want elites to play pure GNR:

Elite defenders: Goddard, Scotland, Deledio, Fisher, Birchall, Bock, Enright, Broughton, Newman
    Elite forwards: Goodes, Fyfe, Franklin, Johnson, O'Keefe, Pavlich, Chapman, Harvey, Martin

I'm sure people are going to want to colour outside the lines though.
    That's where all the other risky players are, players like:

D - Suckling, Murphy, Houli, Adcock, Johncock, Yarran, Shaw, Grundy, Hurn, Hanley
    F - Cloke, Zaharakis, Gray, Adams, Robinson, Nahas, Rioli, Beams, Sidebottom, N Riewoldt

14. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

For a lot of last season Heppell was close to holding his own with the elites in def, so if he improves, he should be a decent pick.

It has been said that he will spend more time in mids this season, but will that be good for his scores or bad?

I originally thought it would be great, but after considering it more, I'm not so sure.

I did not get to watch a lot of bombers games last year, but I have been told he was often used to switch play down back = cheap possessions, but enough to help.
    Firstly, with more attention from opposition players as he should probably get this year, will that reduce the chance for this type of play?

Secondly, if he moves into mids, he may lose opportunities for these possies down back and rebound 50's, but he also may struggle in the new role. However it may also mean opportunities to get the ball in damaging positions of the field and set up some goals etc.

Walesy mentioned in his round review that the time he spent in the guts was not as beneficial as we may have hoped it to be.

I would love to get some insight from ppl that have seen him play a bit, Walesy included if possible.

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Excellent analysis anthak - I was very tempted by Heppell but (albeit one game) it did seem he wasn't able to rack possessions up like he can as a rebounding defender. A little question mark, but that's all it takes at this time of the year.

16. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

Had him from round 1 last year, turned out to be a great cash cow but never sold him, kept him to the end,
    but now at his starting price, 452k, I think there are better value options out there. He didnt impress enough this pre season, 1 x 56 DT pts show in the full match v syd, isnt much to go on, If you're bomber inclined, Hibberd's impressed more this pre season, for less price, as has hardingham and pears, also for less price,
    If you risk taking Heppel at that price, I wish you well, you'd have an excellent POD if he steps up, but for me, the risk on heppell outweighs the less likely reward.

17. PieRaider

PieRaider New Member

The Wangaratta debacle puts a question mark on every Essendon and St Kilda player who was scheduled to play that game.

Workloads are balanced acutely by the Sports Science departments.

There will be players that aren't effected, but which ones?

18. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from PieRaider on March 15, 2012, 16:08
    The Wangaratta debacle puts a question mark on every Essendon and St Kilda player who was scheduled to play that game.

Workloads are balanced acutely by the Sports Science departments.

There will be players that aren't effected, but which ones?</blockquote>

Hopefully all the saints players :)

It is a very good point, and I have NRoo out and am struggling to get excited about Zaha for reasons along those lines, dodgy selections to start with with dodgy and interrupted exposed pre-season form..

BJ looks under done too, but I can't see myself running without him