How far back is too far back?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by J_in_Japan, Jul 4, 2011.

1. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

I've just been revisiting some previous Beat the Best posts and am really curious what people think.

2 weeks ago, a lot of people including some coaches near enough to the top agreed that Cheeky was almost home and hosed.

I think the difference was almost 900 points between 1-10.

I was one who didn't think it was all over for a lot of teams and now things have really changed and with the multi byes coming up, there are real opportunities to make up ground again. I don't consider myself to be able to be one of the teams to make up the ground over the last 8 weeks (1300 off the pace) but considering what has happened in the past 2 weeks, how far do people feel is too far back to make a tilt at the title?

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I said it was not home and hosed but he'd be in a position where he'd have to have some bad weeks. If Cheeky has trades in the bank, then he will go past Impromptu and maybe Wood is Good.

But yeah the losses experienced in massive scoring weeks by teams have been more than I expected from the lead bunch.

The multi byes with Pavlich-Fyfe-Sylvia etc and then O'Keefe-Goodes-J Roo etc, will be very interesting.

I'd say up to 1500 away and you can't win full stop, but this season we have seen swings and roundabouts and so therefore my advice, as often is the case, is always keep having a go, never give up because the wheel can turn your way.

If StKilda Thunda keeps going at his current rate, even he could win the thing LOL

3. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

LOL now wouldnt that be the fairy tale story of the year. Sitting 76K after round 8 or 9 and storms home to take it out!!!!

But seriously im in 4500 position now, only 300 points from 1500th spot. Im backing myself by years end to be top 1000 with that in mind. (btw im only 1700points off top spot!! watch out Impropts :p )

4. Lucas

If Saints win every game from here on then you might be perfectly placed LOL

5. Sainter

Sainter New Member

At about the same time 2 weeks ago I said that the top 10 were basically the only teams with a chance, and then said the top 5 (which was Cheeky Boys, Joshua's Team, Wood is Good, Impromptu SCE, Dirty Whorks)were the teams that I tipped to win it, since then, the top 5 has changed, and now stands (Impromptu SCE, Wood is Good, Cheeky Boys, Sack The Coach FFC & Joshua's Team).
    I rightly picked "Cunning Stunts" who was 6th at the time out of the race, since then he has dropped 12 places to 18th Overall. Dirty Whorks has dropped to 9th place after a low scoring week of (2367). The Cheeky Boys has dropped from 1st to 3rd, and Wood is Good has been steady and holds his 2nd place.

Run Down of The Top 10 Teams

1st: Improptu SCE (34,366)
    This Week, if all players make their averages, Impromptu will score around 2188 + a Captain Choice (assuming Gary Ablett). Looks a solid score for the Multi Bye Round, and may have an edge over the other sides in contention for the following reason.
    Missing: Pavlich, Lower, Mzungu, Callinan.
    Projected Overall After Round 16: 36,683

2nd: Wood is Good (34,361)
    Just 5 points behind Impromptu SCE. If all of Wood is Good''s players make their averages, he'll score 2201 + Captain's Score (assuming Gary Ablett). Personally I think Wood is Good is still going strong, he has a full strength Midfield & Backline this week, but will have to bench a premium, Brendon Goddard has to go somewhere. Going Strong.
    Missing: Pavlich, Lower, Mzungu, Howe.
    Projected Overall After Round 16: 36,693

3rd: The Cheeky Boys (34,273)
    93 points behind 1st placed Impromptu. If all players make their average The Cheeky Boys will score 2148 + a Captain (assuming Scott Pendlebury).
    Missing: Pavlich, Thompson, Sylvia, Mzungu, Callinan.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,545

4th: Sack The Coach FFC (34,206)
    160 points behind first placed Impromptu SCE. If all make their average this week he'll score a massive 2340 + a Captain (assuming Gary Ablett). That looks like a monster score for the multi bye round and not missing many players. Has come out of nowhere and in my opinion has a chance.
    Missing: Pavlich, Callinan.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,675

5th: Joshua's Team (34,151)
    215 points behind 1st placed Impromptu SCE. If all make their average he will score 2166 + a Captain (assuming Scott Pendlebury). A pretty good score, but will be missing a few this week.
    Missing: Pavlich, Sylvia, Lower, Moran.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,441

6th: Don't Do....Think! (34,136)
    230 points behind 1st placed Impromptu SCE. If all players make their average his score will be 2277 + a Captain (assuming Gary Ablett). Good position and will crack 2400 with the Gary Ablett (C) choice.
    Missing: Pavlich, broughton, Sylvia, Mzungu, Callinan.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,552

7th: El Presidente V (34,122)
    Sits 244 points behind 1st placed Impromptu SCE. If all players make their averagé his score will be 2184 + a Captain(assuming Gary Ablett).
    Missing: Pavlich, Thompson, Broughton, Martin, Mzungu, Callinan.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,435

8th: BlueHeaven (34,120)
    246 points behind 1st placed Impromptu SCE. If all make their averages he will score 2209 + a Captain (assuming Gary Ablett). Nice score.
    Missing: Fyfe, Griffin, Mzungu, L.Thompson, Spencer.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,458

9th: Dirty Whorks (34,117)
    Is 249 points behind 1st placed Impromptu SCE. If all make their average this week Dirty will score 2217 + a Captain (assuming Gary Ablett). Buddy killed him last week, surely you're scared of a Franklin Captain choice for now?
    Missing: Pavlich, Fyfe, Lower, Campbell.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,463

10th: ffc (34,092)
    Is 274 points behind the 1st placed Impromptu SCE. This week if all make their averages ffc will score 2257 + a Captain (assuming Gary Ablett). Very good score in the multi-bye week.
    Projected Score After Round 16: 36,478

The Would Be Leaderboard
    1st: Wood is Good = 36,693
    2nd: Impromptu SCE = 36,683
    3rd: Sack The Coach FFC = 36,675
    4th: Don't Do....Think! = 36,552
    5th: The Cheeky Boys = 36,545
    6th: ffc = 36,478
    7th: Dirty Whorks = 36,463
    8th: BlueHeaven = 36,458
    9th: Joshua's Team = 36,441
    10th: El Presidente V = 36,435

This is barring trades, highest average Captain Choices and MPP. Next week Hawthorn has the bye. Sack The Coach FFC is climbing steadily and I think he has a good chance to win it, with Hawks bye next week, he'll only be missing Franklin + Puopolo & Smith. Good position.
    Come on Impromptu, Dirty Whorks, Joshua's Team & El Presidente V. The competition has closed in extremely over the past few weeks, 2 weeks ago when The Cheeky Boys was 1st, he had a 300 point lead on anyone bar P2 & P3 (this is from Lucas' comment), now, at this stage with Prompts leading, he has his 300 point lead from 1st-13th, rather than from 1st-4th or what's not. The competition can change heaps in the space of a couple of week. And if you count my predictions, it's only a 158 lead from 1st-10th, and closing in fast, too. There is still 8-9 rounds left, and any team if they score well enough and climb steadily (like I said, 158 diff from 1st-10th is tiny, and a 300 point lead from 1st-4th or something has closed in, that's around 140-150 points slashed in the space of a few weeks, any team inside the top 50 may have a shot at it in my opinion with those stats, and if their team is good enough.) I think Wood is Good & Sack The Coach FFC are in good positions, but go TSers all the way!

Sorry for the massive post, you may get bored reading it but there was a lot of statistics & predictions to get through.

6. skiddy

skiddy New Member

good work sainter from my perspective currntly ranked 45th overall and would need a lot of luck, having said that i'm not hurt by this weekends multi bye so hoping to make ground, i think from where i am will need to jag the right captain and obviously a different one than the leaders for a few rounds, maybe swanny could pump out a 200 and pray the leaders choose wrongly, anyhow i like your dedication in posting this all the best with your team.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@skiddy
    All the best to my team? LOL, funniest thing I've heard :D, I'm ranked 27,000, got no chance. Good luck skiddy, you're still in the race for it I reckon, I think Swanny may get back to pumping those big 160+ scores out for you. Left-Field Captain Choices will help you to get back in it I reckon instead of going same old-same old Ablett, Pendlebury or Judd. Good luck.

8. J_in_Japan

J_in_Japan New Member

Nice post Sainter, a really good read!

@ Lucas, very true about trades. That is the variable that I don't know, maybe you do though.

I'd be speculating but think that by R19, there will be plenty of high placed teams with no trades left, really just covering the multi bye and then rolling the dice home.

Good luck to all the TS teams.

9. Bomber4ever

Bomber4ever New Member

Great work Sainter. Good read.

The last couple of weeks have definately made things very interesting (obviously except from Cheeky's point of view). Even those sitting outside the top 10 are still very much in the race if a few things can fall their way.

10. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Thanks sainter - good work mate

The next 3 weeks will obviously sort a lot out. Come round 20, I reckon the field will be narrowed a lot, but atm I reckon anyone within 1000 points are still a chance. Approx top 250. Well I'd like to think so anyway.

I reckon this year with the byes, and specifically multi-byes, someone could come from way back to win it. A lot would have to go right for them though.

Go hard or go home, if in this position (ranked 100 to 250) Gotta take risks and hope for the best.

11. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Alright i thought it would be interesting to see what kind of points you can make up in a short period of time.

Well since Round 9 im averaging 2357 points... The current leader is only averaging 2291 for the year. I have gone from 71K overall upto 4589. Thats a hell lot of ground in very short space of time.

End of Round 8
    Impromptu SCE: 17,951
    Big Test Icicles: 16,104

Difference: 1897

End of Round 15
    Impromptu SCE: 34,366
    Big Test Icicles: 32,604

Difference: 1762

So even though im ave 2357 over past 7 weeks, I have only gained 135 points over that entire 9 week period over the current leader. During that period ive only had 2 scores below 2300, a 2239 & 2129.

So i would say to have a realistic shot at winning it you need to be within maybe 300 points and you have to nail it every week. You cant afford to have i off week like i did last week. Need to score over 2350 for rest of the year.....

Not as easy as it sounds cos remember the top teams are still upgrading....

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting stkT. Thanks for working that out.

I still reckon the multi-bye rounds could bring out some surprising results that see someone come from way back.

13. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Yea i agree, multi bye weeks you can easily catch up 200 points in a week if you play your cards right.. Im only missing Broughton, Pavlich & Thompson this week. and have good cover in mid/back but not up forward.

I was looking at it and im only like 600 points off the top 1000 and i reckon i can make that up easily and would be a remarkable effort for me to finish in the top end considering the balls up i had at the start of year....

14. skiddy

skiddy New Member

sainter i reckon with your passion you'll be a chance next year. this is my first year on too serious my 4th year on supercoach and lovin the forums and ideas keep up the good work

15. Lucas

Great work guys. This forum makes the BTB article that much easier to write haha.

16. ExPrez

ExPrez Member

Excellent work Sainter with your post, fantastic analysis.

Wood is good is definitely the favourite from here, Goddard currently at M7 with a full premium backline is a luxury.

Anyone currently around 1000 points away could still win it IMO, especially if those at the top run out of trades. I've jumped from over 700 points behind to 244 behind in the space of 2 weeks.

2 trades for me this week then hold for a while (barring injury) and keep some up my sleeve for later on.

Good luck to all the TS'ers at the top!

17. nvsliz

nvsliz New Member

Nice work Sainter, very interesting read.... I find myself in 886th place this week after hovering around the 2000s for the first half of the season and it sort of makes you think, well what if? 6 trades left and firmly entrenched in the top 4 in all leagues and no doughnuts to speak of this week or rd 19 bar goodes and delideo but have full benches to pick from. Im telling myself to just sit tight and go bang for the league, but the little voice within is whispering go bang bang bang now and see what happens

18. Lucas

NV can you do a quiet bang now and then another for the leagues?

In other words keep some powder dry but bring in some guys who have already had a bye.

I'd suggest doing a trade this week and a trade next week, then holding 4 for LTI's. Only for upgrades though if you can manage it.

19. nvsliz

nvsliz New Member

@Lucas, possibly.... fully upgraded except for d7 and Smith in the ruck. Havnt given it much thought to be honest, like i said im fighting the little voice so i havnt been thinking trades at all.

Heres my team, what do you think...

Deledio, Goddard, Fisher, Gibbs, Broughton, Heater, Heppel (Puopolo L.Thompson Toy)

Murphy, Pendles, Boyd, Ablett, Swan, Boak ( Hibberd Bewick Mzungu)

Cox, Smith (Mcauley, Tippet J)

Goodes, Buddy, Petrie, Chappy, Pavlich, Fyfe, NRoo
    (Darling, I smith, Lynch)

Have to trade Murphy in rd23 not so concerned about Gibbs, Puopolo Heppel and Hibberd have shown their capable of a 90+. So thats 5 trades left really....

Was thinking of swapping Petrie for Sandi when he came back, thats now off the table and was thinking Callinan for Bewick but thats off the table as well now with his hammy.

Cash flow isnt great 10.5k, i think im done! have to trade down before upgrading Smith same goes for d7 i guess, havnt checked the market for a gun defender in a while.

20. Lucas

My advice would be no trade.