How to play the byes

Discussion in 'AFL' started by TopHeavy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

What is the best way to play the bye? I'll most likely be going for league places. So does that mean is wont affect me or does head-to-head apply in these rounds?

For overall rank should I not have all my players in the same bye round?

Any tips/strategies are appreciated

2. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Having a read, it looks like there is head-to-head in these rounds. Might have to reconsider my Cox-McIntosh-Giles combo

3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@top heavy

If you are going for league then be aware head to heads WILL count in round 11-13.

This may or may not be valid - but the gist of what some people on TS with an eye on overall are saying that they want a reasonably EVEN split in their byes - ie with GWS having a round 11 bye and assuming you have around 5-7 GWS rookies at the begnning then perhaps a 10/10/10 or 12/9/9 split in round 1 trading into an 8/11/11 by round 11 to minimise unneccesary donuts (ie you have not enough players in round 11 but too many players in round 12 or 13).

As far as leagues go you may prefer to keep the bye split reasonably even and try to win all 3 games in rounds 11-13 or load up on players with round 11 (or 12 or 13 if preferred) byes and hope that you end up winnign in rounds12 & 13 but it is at teh expense of round 11 where you get flogged.

Keep in mind
    (1) obviously there are no guarantees with this strategy as no matter how you play it you will have to get the luck of the draw as in any or all bye weeks your oppenents could conceivably have a full strength/understrength team.
    (2) that by not picking the "best possible" team from the get-go you will probably find that your team underperforms in the other 14 rounds by at least 1-2 wins and most importantly in the FINALS which is why I wouldn't personally go down that path.
    (3) in order to choose the right strategy you need to work out whether your priority is to focus on overall place/beating a mate when you play them/making top 8/making top 4/WINNING the league
    (4) while most of the discussion on TS is about getting high overall scores I have no doubt that if you visit regularly during the year (or post another forum topic later on) you will pick up some great tips that will help you in your league !!!!!

Cheers
    TTH

4. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

QFT TTH, great statement.

5. TopHeavy

TopHeavy Member

Love your work TTH