Is Giles now a Keeper?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Astro39, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

His cow potential when fulfilled is so tempting - but he could well be in the top 3 ruckmen at seasons end? All I know if I cash him in it will be very late in the season (injury aside) and for very good reasons.

Any comments?

2. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

well hes playing well enough scoring as well as cox and started 500k cheaper
    id be scared to do it without cover for him in case he does get rested or a trade in hand to bring in a ruck if needed
    what ruck setup do you have?

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

He has become my #1 ruck now that he has overtaken Cox. I still think I'll trade him though. Will be able to straight swap him to a proven elite ruckmen soon

4. Grizzles

Grizzles Active Member

Remember Smith got tired towards the end of last year, however Giles is mature aged so may not be as affected as Smith was!

5. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

To me it looks like he will score between 80-110 every week, he wont score you the massive 120+ like all top of line rucks will... He will probably be last player upgraded but for those running for overall its all about timing when to "upgrade" him...

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt New Member

Which top line rucks have been delivering 120+ games this year? Sandilands perhaps but him not playing totally nullifies his big scores.

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I will probably trade him if he looks like he's going to spud up, but until then he stays in. Pretty simple really.

To be honest, defender rookies are scoring about what premiums are and so is Giles. So these spots there is not much difference.

Midfield however there's a difference, and same with forwards. Forwards even more so. Therefore the upgrades for me will be in this order.

Forwards - get fully upgraded. I have Franklin, Fyfe, Goodes, Martin. Will upgrade Hale this week. Need only two more upgrades. Porplyzia is almost there, and the final one is a rookie.

Goddard - get him at his low point. Looks like he has a distance to go down. Consider getting Scotland as well, but that would likely be R14.

Midfield - get a midfield upgrade probably in R13 and R14. Ablett or Murphy to come in. The other spot is up for grabs, but JPK is making a run for sure. Would think more likely to go a Crow given their SC finish to the year and their earlier bye.

Rucks - I think a trade for me would be a luxury trade.

8. Moblets

Moblets New Member

i look forward to the Giles > Cox straight swap :)

I think he will end up averaging about 90 for the year so definitely trading at some point.

9. Corks

Corks Member

Agree Moblets, but don't think Cox will average any more than Giles this year. Prefer others for the swap.

10. Moblets

Moblets New Member

Cox will get going at some point. Dream result would be if Nic Nat went down for a bit mid season.

11. Corks

Corks Member

It's all a bit unclear with the rucks this year. Think second half of the year a few will emerge - Cox, Berger, McEvoy and maybe HMac if Goldie can't get back. But wouldn't be making changes at the moment, Giles going better than the rest.

12. powerpete

powerpete New Member

Was so close to starting giles on the field, instead of kruezer.
    But i thought no sandilands, perfect weather in wa, kruezer will dominate - fail!!
    this week they play each other, will be interesting.
    My other rucks are cox and ceglar? Collingwood.

13. warsaken

warsaken Active Member

I'll be cowing him in. Ive got Sandi and NicNat, so will prob trade him for a F/R and grab as much cash I can, then bring in Roughy/Hale at some point to cover if any of the Fijian Beach combo miss a week.

14. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

<blockquote>Quote from AngryAnt on April 30, 2012, 09:42
    Which top line rucks have been delivering 120+ games this year? Sandilands perhaps but him not playing totally nullifies his big scores. </blockquote>

Maybe not this year atm, but guess i meant we all know Cox, Goldy, McEvoy, Sandi can all average 130+ weeks on end but not sure Giles has that capability.

15. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

I will keep Giles for the time being - most reliable so far but a few away games might hurt his numbers in the next few weeks.

I need the big-O to get himself back for another couple to keep him ticking over before cashing him in for a cheap F/R or F/D combo. Redden - where are you old son?

16. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Giles to NicNat/Sandi when the time comes. But that time is a long way off methinks.

Surely 1-0-3 takes the chocolates this year now, as long you went a decent premium.

17. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

I wont get rid of him just yet.

My dilemma is MK.

18. fidelsfinger

fidelsfinger New Member

<blockquote>Quote from Lucas on April 30, 2012, 11:16
    I will probably trade him if he looks like he's going to spud up, but until then he stays in. Pretty simple really.

To be honest, defender rookies are scoring about what premiums are and so is Giles. So these spots there is not much difference.

Midfield however there's a difference, and same with forwards. Forwards even more so. Therefore the upgrades for me will be in this order.

Forwards - get fully upgraded. I have Franklin, Fyfe, Goodes, Martin. Will upgrade Hale this week. Need only two more upgrades. Porplyzia is almost there, and the final one is a rookie.

Goddard - get him at his low point. Looks like he has a distance to go down. Consider getting Scotland as well, but that would likely be R14.

Midfield - get a midfield upgrade probably in R13 and R14. Ablett or Murphy to come in. The other spot is up for grabs, but JPK is making a run for sure. Would think more likely to go a Crow given their SC finish to the year and their earlier bye.

Rucks - I think a trade for me would be a luxury trade.
    </blockquote>

Lucas, very well put.

Pretty much sums up my own advice.

we should have our current SC rankings beside our names,
    so the punters can weigh up advice accordingly.

19. snoz

snoz Moderator

Agreeing with Lucas & Fidel above......IF culling Giles is your biggest dilemma then your having a good year.

Worry about him later ~ right now he is the 7th best ruck.....and you need 3 starters in the Ruck, at least so far, with the injuries & late withdrawals.

20. VanderHaar

VanderHaar New Member

the eagles are either doing 2 things with cox this year ... hes either slowly getting shoved aside as the premium ruck there or they are really saving cox for the later part of the year could we see him ruck more near finals time ?.
    nic nats in great form and cox seems to be enjoying his role as a 17 foot tall forward. great for eagles scoring but not for us sc folks.

as for giles i think if i started with him as a main ruck id be very happy and make my choice when he starts to look like losing cash or spits out 2 games below 70.

see how he goes vs carltons mids this week.