is it worth keeping Mzungu

Discussion in 'AFL' started by silacious, Mar 15, 2011.

1. silacious

silacious New Member

hi Guys,

I need some advise, is it worth while hanging onto Mzungu until he returns? or would i need the bench space for someone who is playing.
    And who would be a worthy replacement as i had him in midfield as cover between D Swallow and D Harris

2. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

No it is not worth hanging onto him.

Most players will pick someone else, fatten them up for 8 weeks or so, then trade down to Mzungu when he returns, pocketing the cash.

Plenty of midfield options exist, though most of the better ones are a little pricey as you'd expect (risk v reward)

3. spud

spud New Member

No from me as well, Sil.

The opportunity cost of holding onto a non playing player for 6-8 weeks is too high, for the reason Lucas outlined. While it might save you a trade, at least directly, you will be missing out on the chance to have an additional cheap player appreciate in price whom you can downgrade to Mzungu and pocket the difference when the time is right.

The idea of starting with a non-playing player doesn't sit well with me either as you lose that little bit more cover for byes/injuries.

4. Heater

Heater New Member

Ok, most will dump Mzungu and pick him up in Round 11-13 or whenever he returns. I was wondering who will replace him in everyone's squads? Now that Callinan is also sidelined the options around the $100k mark are kinda limited. Thoughts anyone...??

5. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Kinda limited, you mean none at all don't you Heater!

Yeah annoying but you'd think there are two or three gold coast who are pretty decent, then you only need to find two or three others.

Richardson is solid
    Krakouer could suffice depending on your structure

The other looks like a stab in the dark really.

Darling should get a run, Skinner might, Markovic and McKernan have a rough chance. Smith has been a longtime favourite from Hawk fans who might have just jumped off. Tapscott is another player to watch.

6. Heater

Heater New Member

Thanks, Lucas, I was trying to be diplomatic!! Got Richardson, Krak, Smith & Darling but I'll need to do some swapping around to get the balance right. Been watching Tapscott for the last 12 months or so and hoping he will break into the Demons soon. He is built like a tank and has a body ripe for AFL footy; lets hope his chance comes sooner rather than later. I have GCS' players: Stanley, Tape, Swallow, Harris, Smith, Matera and Prestia so I reckon 7 is enough so I'll have to look elsewhere. Everyone is jumping on the Iron Chef but will he turn into another Cam Hitchcock...? Pittard has been talked about too but are these guys going to get say the 1st 10 games? Not sure. So many questions its doing my head in!!!!!

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Latest news is 10 weeks minimum on Mzungu (in case you were having any doubts about the good free advice you get on here).