Jack Watts: POD?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Astro39, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

The Dees coaching staff have clearly stopped trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and young Jack is now playing in the quarterback (!) role down back. He's averaged 113 the last 3 games, with 24, 23 and 34 possessions - in two of those games the Dees were thumped. Clearly picking up the cheapies down back, given the ball is spending a lot of time down there in Dees games, is helping his score. He's also an excellent distributor with good efficiency - playing on the wide spaces at the MCG certainly helps.

Clearly he's not in the same realms as the SC forwards who actually play midfield (Beams, Sidey etc), but as a potential F7 on the cheap, do you get bang for buck with Watts? He's in 1% of teams and priced at $460k. Obviously for most if you look to trade him in it would be after the Dees bye.

Any love for Jack here or there are better options out there?

2. shanaz

shanaz New Member

hmm, interesting idea. Perhaps if he was priced around the 350-400K he'd be worth a look. However, considering the likes of ROK at 495K and pavlich at 478K, surely you would have those on your radar well ahead of Watts

3. Astro39

Astro39 New Member

^^ those players look OK, but the thing that steers me clear is their age - the older players are dropping away fairly rapidly this season. Those old stagers just aren't cutting it anymore, what with Scotland, Goodes etc getting injured - hence my interest in someone like Watts.

4. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

I've been starting to wonder the same thing with watts, should continue to score really well in the new role down back and being able to pick him as a forward is handy.

Tend to agree with shanaz though if he was a bit cheaper it would be more of an option but 460k kinda shows that hes already shot up in price so the boat may have sailed

5. gogonz

gogonz New Member

ok... who else is laughing at the thought of selecting Watts? I mean seriously, the guy was SC poison last year but now a change to the "loose man" role has seen him appreciate in price and point scoring ability unbelievably.