Keepers

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Iain (BlueBeliever), Mar 31, 2011.

1. Having a look through my team, just from round 1 scores it appears my pool of potential keepers have grown. Starting the season I was looking at 13-15, but now its looking more like 17-19 if anything. Admittedly I did trade out two players earlier this week (due to not having internet access from about 3 today onwards)but that only adds one keeper. Potentials now include Ed Curnow (sitting at M5/6 with Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson maybe Robinson ahead of him, can't see him getting a tag over them!) Nick Lower (mature age gun, again with Broughton and Duffield ahead I can't see him getting tagged) and Luke Tapscott (solidly built defensive player, gets his own ball and has Frawley and Grimes ahead for the tag). So anyone else find their potential keepers list expanding? Score-wise I haven't done that well so far but if performances keep up, people could be looking at 22 keepers by round 8 this year

2. kizza

kizza New Member

Hope your not counting on Yarran or was he one of your Trades... LoL

3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

BB

Worth some analysis. Will run the ruler over the side, but won't have as many as you have identified.

If you have 22 keepers by R8 you won't be needing trades and I suggest you burn them up now (since you are in one of my leagues).

4. @ Kizza
    My trades chief, he and Foley for McKernan and Swan.

@ Terry

I'm already burning through a couple of them, and I am being optimistic with my keepers but there's still more than I thought. List I consider potential that are <$500k are:

Lower
    Deledio
    Broughton
    Grimes
    Bartel
    Curnow
    Krakouer
    Harvey
    Cox
    Dawes
    Pavlich
    Goodes
    Tapscott

5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I think its a little early to label Tapscott and Curnow as keepers. They've only proved one game so far. Lower looks more so, but even him I wouldn't be 100% on. Way too early yet.

6. @ Nick

As I outlined above I don't think they are keepers just yet but with their performances on the weekend and tagging issues from opposition teams I think they could well be as the season progresses, whereas I didn't consider any of them possible keepers when I picked them, only cash-cow potential

7. kizza

kizza New Member

Tapscott is a maybe he played well against the Swans. Have to wait on Curnow until he plays against a decent side...

8. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

A keeper for my final team must be in the top 10 of the position at end of year (top 5 for rucks)

Of the list of "potential":

Lower - no
    Deledio - probably
    Broughton - probably
    Grimes - probably
    Bartel - possibly
    Curnow - no chance
    Krakouer - no
    Harvey - unlikely
    Cox - likely
    Dawes - more unlikely than Harvey
    Pavlich - maybe
    Goodes - maybe
    Tapscott - no chance

Happy if you have that in your team to start with, but by round 15 or so, I'd like the following team:

Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Broughton, Grimes, Shaw, Fisher
    Swan, Selwood, Judd, Pendlebury, Ablett, NDS/Montagna
    Riewoldt, Franklin, Rioli, Goodes, Chapman, Didak, Pavlich
    Sandilands, Cox

Happy to take on all comers with a 22 like this

9. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Beau Muston looked like a keeper in his first game to! :)

10. kizza

kizza New Member

@Lucas

I think thats a big call on Krakouer he was subbed off and still scored over 100 and in his case its only his first game and will get better with each game he plays with little chance for a tag... I have him in the maybe file for forwards...

11. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Kizza - Krakouer will not be in the top 10 forwards at the end of the year. That's what Lucas is saying.

If, at the end of the year, you had him still in your starting 7 as opposed to a Chappy, Didak etc, you will most likely lose points.

He is a good, solid, maybe medium term F6/F7 or M6 - but should be traded in before the end of the year.

12. apolis

apolis New Member

@Lucas

No room for Hodge?

13. MrNOYFB

MrNOYFB New Member

What I've got so far:

BACKLINE KEEPERS

B.Goddard (definite lock)
    B.Gibbs (definite lock)
    G.Broughton (definite lock)
    B.Delidio (nearly a definite lock, should make it)

BACKLINE MAYBES/UNKNOWNS

N.Lower ((maybe) looking very good so far, but still too early to tell

S.Tape (unknown)

MIDFIELD KEEPERS

S.Pendlebury (definite lock)
    C.Judd (definite lock)
    D.Cross (definite lock)

MIDFIELD MAYBES/UNKNOWNS

K.Jack ((maybe) stared slow last year but absolutely smashed it in the last half of the year, bit disappointing in r1, need to see 1 or 2 more games before I decide)

L.Shuey ((maybe) was a bit quiet last week but has huge potential)

D.Swallow (unknown)
    R.Harris (unknown)

RUCK KEEPERS

A.Sandilands (definite lock)
    D.Cox (definite lock)

RUCK MAYBES/UNKNOWNS

Z.Smith (unknown)

FORWARD KEEPERS

N.Riewoldt (definite lock)

C.Sylvia (he started to come good at the end of last year and I think he'll continue that form)

M.Pavlich (slowed down at the end of last year, expecting a big year)

FORWARD MAYBES/UNKNOWNS

A.Goodes ((maybe) Mr inconsistent, I should of known better, don't like his chances)

S.Mckernan ((maybe) great first game but too early to tell)

L.Tapscott ((maybe) definitely like the look him, but too early to tell)

J.Darling ((maybe) was impressed with him, doesn't have a rookies body, very strong, but too early to tell)

T.Walker ((maybe) hard to say, kicked 4 goals in the first game but only scored 66 points, too early to tell)

B.Matera (unknown)

14. Corks

Corks Member

The hardest thing is to keep a cool head about Rookies and midpricers when it comes decision time R7 onwards. Last year one player made it from rookie to Premium (Barlow) and a couple to keeper (Pods and Rokliff if you were patient). Of the 100 or so "mid-pricers" only 3 or 4 made it to premium or close. Perhaps Lower, Krakour, Yarren, McKernan, Grimes, Sylvia, Shuey, DSwallow, Harris and co will make it to Premium Keeper status by year end, but history says only one, or at best 2 or 3 will.

In the meantime, I will be trading out Rookies for established premiums in the blink of an eye in the next 10-12 weeks. I'd rather miss a Barlow to get an Ablett, than sit on a Gysberts / Martin / Scully / Trengove / Silvangi and pass on a premium.

15. bonesy

bonesy Member

<blockquote>Quote from Corks on March 31, 2011, 19:14

In the meantime, I will be trading out Rookies for established premiums in the blink of an eye in the next 10-12 weeks. I'd rather miss a Barlow to get an Ablett, than sit on a Gysberts / Martin / Scully / Trengove / Silvangi and pass on a premium.</blockquote>

This. Assume all your rookies are cows, as soon as their break even reaches their average...BAM, they're out.

if this happens and the number is 100+, you can reassess