Lance Franklin - Is he over-rated in SC. Why so much hype?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by MrNOYFB, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MrNOYFB

MrNOYFB New Member

Why is Lance Franklin rated so highly by SC players? Lets have a look at his stats from last year.

Lance Franklin 2010

Rd 01 - DNP
    Rd 02 - 83
    Rd 03 - 73
    Rd 04 - DNP
    Rd 05 - 115
    Rd 06 - 120
    Rd 07 - DNP
    Rd 08 - 91
    Rd 09 - 133
    Rd 10 - 81
    Rd 11 - DNP
    Rd 12 - 111
    Rd 13 - 159
    Rd 14 - 79
    Rd 15 - 141
    Rd 16 - DNP
    Rd 17 - 88
    Rd 18 - 85
    Rd 19 - 101
    Rd 20 - 116
    Rd 21 - 129
    Rd 22 - 122

# Games DNP = 5
    # Games Played = 17
    # Games Scoring +(100) = 10
    # Games Scoring (90-100) = 1
    # Games Scoring (80-90) = 4
    # Games Scoring -(80) = 2

Considering the $ value and the Avg/Rd of L.Franklin:

Scores under (80) are a failure

Scores between (80) to (90) are below average

Scores between (90) to (100) are slightly below average

Scores over (100) are good

The 10 scores of +(100), and the 1 below average score of (91) can be put in the same group as good scores.

The 4 below average scores of (80) to (90), can be put in the same group as the 2 poor scores of -(80).

Summing up:

# Games played = 17
    # Good/solid games = 11
    # Failures = 6
    # Games DNP = 5

With the 5 games he missed and the 6 failures, his strike rate is only 50%. His average is misleading because a few +(130) scores. And that inflated average also means he's over-priced.

I'm not saying he's useless, I just don't see any evidence that warrants the the SuperStar tag he's been labled with. He did finish last year off fairly strong with the last 4 games he posted scores of over (100).

2. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Now do the same for all the other top10 prems in 2010 and see how they compare. I think you'll find Franklin may be one of the more "consistent" scorers.

3. cptFantasy

cptFantasy New Member

Because you're new to footy we'll excuse your analysis. Check this space at the end of the season.

4. MrNOYFB

MrNOYFB New Member

<blockquote>Quote from cptFantasy on March 29, 2011, 17:52
    Because you're new to footy we'll excuse your analysis. Check this space at the end of the season.</blockquote>

New to footy? I've been playing since I was 7. When was the last time you pulled a pair of boots on.

Anyway numbers don't lie. I'm not saying he's not a superstar when in the AFL. He is, but he's no superstar in SuperCoach. He'll do exactly what he did last year. Inconsistant scores, he'll miss games, and he'll get a few monster scores.

5. meataxe

meataxe Guest

MrNOYFB,

You're probably better off just looking at the averages over the course of a season.

Some players have a higher standard deviation in their scoring than others. This typically will be the case with KPFs, but especially with Buddy given the occasional round of brilliance mixed in with games of high inaccuracy and high frees-against.

Incidentally, 80 is still a pretty decent score, I'd be happy if the worst score of my premiums was 80. It's those nasty 39 scores which will get your goat!

6. MrNOYFB

MrNOYFB New Member

<blockquote>Quote from meataxe on March 29, 2011, 18:20
    MrNOYFB,

You're probably better off just looking at the averages over the course of a season.

Some players have a higher standard deviation in their scoring than others. This typically will be the case with KPFs, but especially with Buddy given the occasional round of brilliance mixed in with games of high inaccuracy and high frees-against.

Incidentally, 80 is still a pretty decent score, I'd be happy if the worst score of my premiums was 80. It's those nasty 39 scores which will get your goat!</blockquote>

Yeh I understand that 80's a good score.

With Averages for the year it depends on whether you're going for the Head to Head or the overall. But what's more important for the overall win is the total points for the year, and with Buddy missing 5 games last year, and having 6 shockers, how is he any good for your team?

7. spud

spud New Member

You want the top scorers in each position - if you reckon Buddy will be in the top 7 forwards for the season at the end of the year, bring him in. If you look at every player from a value perspective, chances are you'll have a team of 33 midpricers/undervalued players at the start and find yourself with no premiums and not enough trades to get even close to having a competitive team come years end.

Nearly every forward last year was inconsistent or missed a handful of games. That's their nature.

If you want a consistent 120 from a forward week in week out, you're going to be disappointed.

8. Whyt_ee

Whyt_ee New Member

he's a gun. Looking at each week will get you nowhere. look at the end of season points. I'm sure he didn't kick 4.54 goals a game when he kicked the tonne!

You won't be complaining when he scores 160.

9. FixEmUp

FixEmUp New Member

Had him from day dot. Hasn't moved from my side since.

I like him because he takes CONTESTED grabs and a lot of them. Is able to kick a bag of goals here and there. Possession count is reasonable too.

Very much a lock for mine.

10. JM

JM Member

If you look at the games Franklin missed last year I believe that 3 were from suspension, and the other two from injury one of those being round 16 he missed due to an ankkle injury. He then came back in round 17 Vs the Saints and kicked 5 goals. Fact is Franklin averages 3 goals a game and there is no doubt he is a premium forward. Don't include him in your team at your own peril, and let everyone else enjoy his points. :)

11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

He is the number 1 lock of the forward line this year.

Improving side...check
    Full preseason...check
    In top 3 players in the league...check
    Suits SC scoring (apart from FA)...check
    Elite midfield to deliver to him...check
    Is a freak...check

12. cptFantasy

cptFantasy New Member

<blockquote>Quote from MrNOYFB on March 29, 2011, 18:17
    <blockquote>Quote from cptFantasy on March 29, 2011, 17:52
    Because you're new to footy we'll excuse your analysis. Check this space at the end of the season.</blockquote>

New to footy? I've been playing since I was 7. When was the last time you pulled a pair of boots on.

Anyway numbers don't lie. I'm not saying he's not a superstar when in the AFL. He is, but he's no superstar in SuperCoach. He'll do exactly what he did last year. Inconsistant scores, he'll miss games, and he'll get a few monster scores.</blockquote>

My appologies, it was a bit presumptuous assuming a Gold Coast fan would be a newbie, it just fit in with the questioning of Franklin. I can see your perspective but it is very analytical and rules out improvement in not only Franklin but also the Hawks. I also play footy myself so sorry for offending.