Malceski

Discussion in 'AFL' started by sean, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sean

sean New Member

My vision may well be clouded by the red and white goggles I wear, but I have Malceski in my team. He's not the bargain he was last year, but I suspect he's still a premium keeper. That said, deep down I have that niggling feeling that I am letting my team choice cloud my judgement.

What say you guys?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I had Malceski all year in 2010, but I'm off that wagon for 2011. In the 2nd half of 2010, his average was not premium and his overall average was only as high as it was because of his opening burst of ultra-premium (+120) scores. He finished 2010 with a SC whimper, at a salary of around $350k, as other teams began to shut his run from defence down.

I saw Mattner being used more frequently as the rebounding defender for the Swans during late 2010, which might have been a consequence of opposition forward-tagging strategies on Malceski.

At his ~460k starting price, I'd suggest Malceski is currently overpriced.

3. crew

crew New Member

Hear ya Sean will watch this blog

4. Morko78

Morko78 New Member

I've been looking at eski as well. I remember watching the news late last year about how he has had one of his best pre-seasons, shedding a couple of kilos and recording PB's in some of the running and conditioning areas(swannie supporters will have an idea) His price tag is what I have to weigh up at the present time though.

5. sean

sean New Member

The news out of the club is that he's having best preseason ever blah blah blah -

Kind of can't write him off but can't write him in either ...

6. jathkel

jathkel New Member

Hi average prior to the last month was around the 106 mark, was tagged most of the second half so my guess is he was injured at the end. I see value in him.

7. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from jathkel on February 16, 2011, 11:28
    Hi average prior to the last month was around the 106 mark, was tagged most of the second half so my guess is he was injured at the end. I see value in him.</blockquote>

My guess is the taggers got better. Pass

See Gilbee for a cheaper, more reliable, dual position player

TBH Gilbee, Scotland, Malceski, Shaw, Enright, Newman are all in that "will probably average 90 and cost 90" category.

Unsure if Malsexy can go in the midfield rotation for the Swannies (the others all can in their teams) so I think he's a risky bet.

8. Stew

Stew New Member

Right you are Lucas.... Eski will not get midfield rotation.

The spot I'm interested in looking at in the Sydney half-back line, is that of Mattner's. Historically he starts every game, however, this season I think his time may be up, and someone else should get this potentially lucrative role... can't tell you who though... not because I'm being sneeky, just because I don't know.

9. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

A return for Rhyce Shaw maybe? 95 to 70 last year (and a move to the forward line) was a surprising drop for a player I thought had turned the corner.

10. aj

aj Member

@Lucas: Being a pies man I used to love watching Racer play. Those dashing runs up the wing or across the centre square. Then he'd go to kick it :p

He spent 9 years with us and the passing never really got to an adequate level in my view. If you can't get your head around kicking after 9 years at the top then I would be a bit suspicious of it suddenly turning around.

When he went north Iwas rapt to see him do well. But (and I haven't checked the stats on this but) I think he got a lot more of it - maybe he was more of the goto guy at the Swans. If that was teh case and if he hadn't corrected his disposal efficiency then shutting him down a bit would have some pretty significant effects on his scoring.

Just a theory

11. spud

spud New Member

I'm not convinced he's overpriced, but as Lucas said, he probably doesn't represent value at his current price either.

If he was scoring 10pts more and priced accordingly, then sure, he'd be a good option for a prem. But with a number of players possessing higher averages, I don't see him in my ideal "end of season" team and therefore don't see the point in starting him if he doesn't represent value.

He seemed to suffer a bit from the tag much like Enright did towards the end.

12. Tigerman

Tigerman New Member

He did not do anything to convince me he will be a premium with last night's score of 69. I'm thinking Grimes is a better bet for D5

13. sean

sean New Member

Bad news

Swans have just confirmed he has injured himself in training and will miss the first 12 rounds.

Get well MalSexy!

(at least it's an easy decision now though)

14. sean

sean New Member

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/108752/default.aspx

15. Jason

Bit of a thread killer, but thanks for posting sean. Do you think this might open a door for Grundy to pick up a bit more of the SC points pie in 2011?

16. spud

spud New Member

Poor bloke.
    Interesting to read that he's having another crack at the LARS option...but to each their own.

Thanks for posting, Sean, I've updated the injury thread accordingly. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Could be, Jason. It would be nice to have another fwd/def option to consider.

17. Jason

I'm considering Markovic and Grundy, not in my team yet either of them, but pushing closer.

18. sean

sean New Member

Personally - I have a lot of time for Grundy - have ever since his debut. He would have been my contender for CHF actually, freeing up Goodsey. Can;t see that happening now.

Richards has been operating at FB anyway, so I think he'll have a fairly secure place in the team. There's still no definite start time for Bolton or LRT, so I'd say Grundy will be stepping up for sure. MPP F/B doesn;t hurt either, though I have no-one else like that at present (maybe look at Gwilt?? )

The other person it will open the door for is Everett, who has been OK so far - not setting the world on fire, but definitely carrying out a role. He will get game time now I suspect.

The thing I'll miss with Malceski is a really, really good Footy brain, who knows where the ball is and where it's going. Get well soon Bionic Eski!

19. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

Malceski is gonskies... Out for 12 weeks

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108755/default.aspx

<blockquote>SYDNEY Swans defender Nick Malceski will be sidelined for at least 12 weeks after he injured his right knee at training on Thursday.

The 26-year-old will undergo ligament augmentation and reconstruction system (LARS) surgery on Friday in a bid to return to football before the halfway mark of the home and away season.

Malceski was the first AFL player to undergo the revolutionary LARS reconstruction when he injured the same knee back in 2008 and was keen to pursue the same treatment again.

"The option was available to us with this revision reconstruction, to use the conventional method or LARS surgery, and Nick was very keen to pursue the LARS surgery. The recovery time of LARS surgery is exceptional, at approximately 12 weeks," club doctor Nathan Gibbs said.

To read the rest of the story click on the link above.

I was really disappointed to find out that Malceski would be needing another LARS reconstruction. It was great that he was able to fight back from a LARS Reconstruction and recapture his best form last year. Hopefully he will be able to make a similar recovery this time.</blockquote>

20. crew

crew New Member

Eski is a far king champ. Got wounded had the gonads to take LARS on as a guinea pig (in AFL terms) and came back and had a shocking 09 only to turn it around and have a stunning 10. Hope all goes well mate you deserve another crack at it.
    Could also give credance to Carltons "slow go" with Kruzer. Doctors have warned that LARS is suited more for players with "less" time left in their careers.