Mark of the year?

Discussion in 'AFL' started by hippy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. hippy

hippy New Member

No doubt in my mind. Absolute gem.

2. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Andrew Walker or Andrew Krakouer have either got the mark of the year

3. NumberWonGuns

NumberWonGuns New Member

Walks has it hands down! Absolute beauty. Had the perfect sit on young Carlisle. It's about time he took one too, has been flying for them from four deep in packs all year to land that car. As the commentators mentioned after the game, its a pitty he had his head wrapped in bandages as no doubt this mark will feature heavily in papers, websites and what not. Not that this will worry Walks too much however!

4. hippy

hippy New Member

You're right, it was the perfect sit. There are a few other things that made it even better.

- He twisted mid-air, then got a bit of a ride down, prolonging the hang.

- The camera captured the moment perfectly. That front on shot framed it beautifully.

- He went back and drained the goal. From a really tight angle.

Definitely the best I've seen live.

5. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

No doubt about Walker's mark being Mark Of The Year - absolute ripper with hang-time that puts Michael Jordan to shame :)

It will take something extraordinary to beat it!!!

6. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Also there was NO hands in the back at all. Most of the specky's we see have the player pushing himself higher into the air by pushing the back/neck i.e Krakouer's which will make Walker's better.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

However I think Deledio's 7-grabber V Geelong will take it out! ;) Nah Walker has got it in the bag unless Brett Burton or Nicky Winmar come out of retirement ;)

8. BleedingPurpleAndWhite

BleedingPurpleAndWhite New Member

Deledio's was a good mark but Mark Of The Year "should"be for specky's only. Anything can happen though, RE: Brett Burton, remember when he took Mark Of The Year in the last round? Well, it looks like positions 6-10 will fight to get into the top 8 and will come down to the last round, and you never know, Mark Of the Year could turn out that way too. Watch Mzungu take one today, I'm sensing it...

9. Soda_Bull

Soda_Bull New Member

Andrew Walker has got it in the bag, they might as well give the Car to him now.

regarding Goal of The Year, Trent McKenzie will have about 10 contenders :D with his 70m bombs! He won't win it though, but he'll be a Gun one day.

10. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

<blockquote>Quote from Soda_Bull on July 24, 2011, 18:33regarding Goal of The Year, Trent McKenzie will have about 10 contenders :D with his 70m bombs! He won't win it though, but he'll be a Gun one day.</blockquote>

Totally agree Soda_Bull, McKenzie thoroughly deserves Goal of the Year with any one of his massive goals - it's not as if he's just fluked one, he kicks them consistently.

He will definitely be a gun in the next couple of years - glad i've still got him as bench cover in my team :)

11. Sainter

Sainter New Member

Soda, there is mass to look forward to for your Gold Coast Suns.
    David Swallow, Trent McKenzie, Maverick Weller, Marc Lock, Josh Caddy etc in the Midfield will be fantastic in the future. Gold Coast's forward line will eventually be one of the best with TJ Lynch, Sam Day both have great leaps, marks and will be a great twin tower combination when they get more experince.
    Sam Iles, Danny Stanley & Daniel Harris all re-startibg their careers and doing well.
    More importantly they have one of the best in the Comp Gary Ablett leading them. Zac Smith will be a Ruck superstar and Gorringe will be handy as a Ruck/Forward can take a grab. Rory Thompson looks really solid at a young age. Dion Prestia is going to a very good player too. Michael Coad and Seb Tape will grow into solid defenders too.

Haven't mentioned Harley Bennell because I'm not confident he will stay at the Suns. Whether he leaves this year, next year, 5 years - I just find it hard to believe he will stay regardless on who he moves in with (K.Hunt). Just my thinking, but he is still seriously home-sick. He needs to start doing regular skype with his family back in W.A so it woulf enable him to stay at the Suns, he's got talent and Gold Coast sure as hell won't want to lose him.

12. whips

whips New Member

I prefer the pack mark to the one-on-one.
    But that doesn't matter in this case. That was brilliant to watch and is mark of the year IMO.
    And the best I've seen:
    Shaun Smith is the equal of Walker.
    Roach against Hawthorn.
    Tarrant against Melbourne.
    Ablett Snr against Collingwood. (Yes, I'd pay it!)
    Paul Kelly against NM - never gets a mention but to leap onto a bloke's shoulder while running with the flight of the ball is incredible. Very under-rated.
    And the best is Riewoldt against Sydney. I'll never see a mark like that ever again.

13. Sainter

Sainter New Member

@whips
    RE: Nick Riewoldt Mark 2004 V Sydney
    Jonathon Brown keeps Trying But Keeps Getting Knocked Out! ;)

14. Sainter

Sainter New Member

But how about
    Brendon Goddard V Richmond
    Brendon Goddard V Coll'wood
    They were both fantastic marks, the one in the GF better. But I also notice that you have none listed for;
    Alex Jesaulenko

BTW - I've met Shaun Smith and seen him a couple of times at my Grandad's Church.

15. 82asch

82asch New Member

Agree Walker by a mile this season... so far. Would love to see a mark that tops that because it was an absolute beauty!

Quite funny, I was talking to a mate who was at the game and asked him what did it look like live? Response - I was in the bar!

16. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

Walker mark of the year, it was more the classic one on one style.

I think Krakouer's was better in terms of being in a pack and at a more pivotal moment in the game, as well as having full arm extension but Walker's was a greater height and a more classic style mark, well captured by slo-motion HD so will get the nod.

As for being the best of all time, don't make me laugh, there are at least 5 that are better than Walker's both in terms of game timing, and arm extension.

I reckon there's probably few that are better than Goddard or Leo Barry's honestly when you think of them being pack marks deep into time on in Grand Finals.

Jezza's mark was a very good one but was only in Q2 of that game and wasn't that pivotal to the end result.

I liked Jeff Farmer's a few years back when he got the second ride, and think that was the equal of Sampi's.

Smith's was a wonderful mark and probably ended up higher than Walker's, as well as being a pack mark.

But yeah, best of all time, I'd go with Barry just over Goddard.

17. DC

DC Member

Mark of the year without a doubt!

He jumped that high he had to take it on the chest haha

18. BlueBoysRule

BlueBoysRule New Member

I was at the game, was the best mark I have ever seen live. Mark of the Year and Eddie should get goal of the year. What a night for the Blue Baggers