mark williams

Discussion in 'AFL' started by weazel, Jul 26, 2011.

1. weazel

weazel Member

well he was a good player at the hawks he was a waste of money for the bombers but good luck to him i'll remember him for the shotgun and the noose actions : )

2. weazel

weazel Member

woops he's retired lol
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-forward-mark-williams-forced-into-retirement/comments-e6frf9jf-1226101293898

3. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

Worst. Trade. Deal. Ever.
    traded for a guy that didnt add anything to the senior list and never gained the faith of the list.

why do essendon always trade like spuds?
    what did we get for lovett going to St Kilda? (not that they got anything in the end)
    what did we get for Houli going to Richmond?
    what did we get out of Williams at the club?

4. 22nd_best_on_Field

22nd_best_on_Field New Member

5. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Was an awesome player at hawks! Brilliant kick! Huge leap on him; and super quick.

Many will remember his shotgun antics, but I'll definitely remember his kicks for goal that went directly through the middle of the big sticks every time, his big speckys, and his chase downs.

He seemed a bit lazy at times, but was a pretty special player. He led the goal kicking at hawks a couple of years running. And kicked 5 goals in the prelim in '08 too - in fact he had a very good finals series in '08 from memory, but a lot of hawks did I suppose, had some big wins that series.

Hawks definitely stooged the bombers though. I'm not sure what they were hoping for. It seemed pretty obvious that his injuries had got the better of him in his final year at hawthorn.

6. Sainter

Sainter New Member

The Hawks traded him when it wasn't really needed. Sure, they had Franklin & Roughead, but they could still put him up at the half forward line or in the pocket (quite small, 182cm i think) or stints over different spots on the ground. Essendon didn'f give him enough opportunities, like this year, he plays the NAB Cup matches, kicks a goal after the siren to draw the match, gathers up possessions and they still don't use him - fantastic career for Mark Williams (kicked 8 V Cats once) and good luck for the future.

7. Sainter

Sainter New Member

He did have injuries too , bit the Hawks have stuck with Bailey for like 4 years and only played like 5 games in that time, only starting to improve now. Williams was older and Bailey was younger, yeah I see the difference wirth sticking with a young guy - but I still reckon he didn't get enough opportunities at Dons

8. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

@22nd best
    there appears to be a dot, or a "point" when you answered your own question. Out of the trade deals you mentioned, I believe Essendon got less than that!

9. stkildathunda

stkildathunda Moderator

@22nd

It was Lovett for pick 16 which you then intraded to Port Adelaide in a 3-way deal with Hawthorn which saw Essendon get Williams... Hawks for Burgoyne an not sure who Port picked with that pick...

10. KissKiss

KissKiss New Member

This is from the Herald Sun:

Williams was recruited to the Bombers by former coach Matthew Knights in a complex deal that saw Williams and Carlisle (pick No.24) arrive at Windy Hill; Lovett move to St Kilda; Shaun Burgoyne land at Hawthorn; and Jay Nash, Andrew Moore (pick No.9) and Jasper Pittard (pick No.16) go to Port Adelaide.

11. The_Swert

The_Swert Active Member

Port Adelaide got Jasper Pittard with pick #16.

So effectively:
    Essendon traded out Pittard and got Williams (4 games then retired).
    They traded out Lovett (0 games then sacked) and got Jake Carlisle.
    They traded out Jay Nash (3 games then delisted) and got Anthony Long.

Misery all round it seems. I still think the Saints copped it worse. They traded out Pittard for nothing! At least the Dons got Carlisle and Long.

12. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Port Adelaide did ok, pittard looks like a gun. They also got Andrew Moore with pick 9, from hawthorn. But they had to give up Burgoyne so I reckon hawthorn did the best out of the 4 clubs involved, by getting Burgoyne.

Not sure if you can say saints got nothing... It has turned out that way, but Lovett was a good pickup that they managed badly imo. But maybe they have got some positive flow on affects from their actions in relation to Lovett, but that's hard to know.

13. Senator96

Senator96 Active Member

I didnt think that anything could ever top the wasted trade we gave to collingwood for that spud Richard Cole but this one goes mighty close...

14. KissKiss

KissKiss New Member

Im pretty sure the Fev trade was the worst trade ever. Seeing as it lost us directly and indirectly henderson, brennan and risca(cant be bothered figuring out how to spell his name)telli.

Especially as he was pretty much going anyway and could have been picked up for free