Mid Priced Ruck Discussion

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Owen, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

One of the major areas that I'm having trouble selecting guys this early (before NAB cup)is in the rucks position. There are somany mid priced options that I keep switching between - Grundy, Hickey, Vardy, Hampson, H-Mac, McKernan, Daw, Longer, Sandi etc. I think Sandi and probably Hickey are my locks at the moment, but in going for a three mid priced ruck strategy who gets the third gig? Anybody got any insights?

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Guest

Owen, H-Mac seems to be a good value option, depending on how he is used by Scott! I would watch closely how the Cats structure their forward line and see where Vardy fits in, he may sit along side Tom-Cat. Interestingly there is an article on this http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/20... Only other sceptical pick at this stage is Majak for his DPP. But Im keen to see how he settles in first. Post your decisions. Cheers

3. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Owen wrote:
    One of the major areas that I'm having trouble selecting guys this early (before NAB cup)is in the rucks position. There are somany mid priced options that I keep switching between - Grundy, Hickey, Vardy, Hampson, H-Mac, McKernan, Daw, Longer, Sandi etc. I think Sandi and probably Hickey are my locks at the moment, but in going for a three mid priced ruck strategy who gets the third gig? Anybody got any insights? Owen, seems you've overlooked one ruckman that could fit your strategy who I am predicting to have a breakout season - Lobbe from Port!!! Put in some massive efforts over the concluding rounds of 2013 with regular tons, has finally had an injury/surgery free pre-season, finds his own ball, tackles like a demon, and can take a good contested mark & kick a goal or two when resting up forward!!!

4. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I am looking at Grundy and Sandilands R1-R2 at the moment. Still a fair few weeks to go though.

5. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

Mmm yeah hadn't really considered Lobbe, was more looking at mid 300K's and lower I guess. I do remember late last season when Lobbe had something like 16 tackles and I thought it was a mistake. Could be a good selection, do you think he could turn into a keeper?

6. Micksdemons

Micksdemons Active Member

So am I or do you go with Goldy and two of these ? This could be a key Pod decision because you add an Elite or save $300 k -

7. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Would you be going in with hopes that they will be keepers, but happy enough to trade them out once they hit their peak if they aren't? If my midpricers aren't going to end up as keepers, they should almost definitely rise enough in price to be quite easily able to be upgraded to a keeper at around the bye rounds. By this time we will be able to see who are the major keepers and who aren't, because I have a feeling that some of the premiums of the last few years are going to drop off significantly. FWIW,I'm probably going to go with a 2 midpricer, 1 playing rookie, and one captains loophole donut in my ruck line. ATM that is McIntosh, Sandi, and the last two are undecided

8. Micksdemons

Micksdemons Active Member

Good point Ruckman seem up and down every other year - and this year will be just the same !

9. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I've heard that McIntosh still isn't training at 100%? I *want* him to work more than anyone though! Bearfly- I heard that Redden is now out for an extended period? Meaning Lobbe could start this season with the 90+ average he rode last year when Redden was out. What's your thoughts there?

10. Owen

Owen Well-Known Member

Also heard that Redden was injured, would Lobbe ruck solo then? If so then I will be definitely be considering him. And H-mac, yeah yet to be convinced that he can string enough games together to be viable.

11. Bearfly

walesy wrote:
    I've heard that McIntosh still isn't training at 100%? I *want* him to work more than anyone though! Bearfly- I heard that Redden is now out for an extended period? Meaning Lobbe could start this season with the 90+ average he rode last year when Redden was out. What's your thoughts there? Yeah mate, today's news re big Redden missing about 10-12 weeks will mean Lobbe will shoulder the ruck load like he pretty much did after the Darwin game last year - this was pretty much the time-frame he started pumping out good scores, so I'm expecting him to play well from the start, especially considering his uninterrupted pre-season to date (when's the last time he had one of them???). The entire Port squad have really benefited from Burgo's philosophy on 'heat training', they're looking fit and hungry atm and what's more, they didn't shy away from training at any time during the recent 'heatwaves' (often completing full training sessions during the hottest part of the day!!! Btw Chief, give me a call on our home phone some time over next couple days, wanna find out your travel/accommodation plans for the wedding mate - need to organise a small mates gathering for a few drinks possibly the evening before the wedding!!!

12. Bearfly

Owen wrote:
    Also heard that Redden was injured, would Lobbe ruck solo then? If so then I will be definitely be considering him. And H-mac, yeah yet to be convinced that he can string enough games together to be viable. Lobbe will pretty much be rucking solo with players like Hoff, Jax Trengove, etc pinch hitting just like last season when Redden and Aloof didn't play

13. jp

jp Active Member

What are peoples thoughts on Currie? We all went gooey in the pants for him during the Nob cup last year, any idea if he'll actually get a game this season? I imagine he'll be competing with the magic door for a spot.

14. grav

grav Guest

Bearfly wrote:
    Owen wrote:
    Also heard that Redden was injured, would Lobbe ruck solo then? If so then I will be definitely be considering him. And H-mac, yeah yet to be convinced that he can string enough games together to be viable. Lobbe will pretty much be rucking solo with players like Hoff, Jax Trengove, etc pinch hitting just like last season when Redden and Aloof didn't play Bear - any news on Too Aloof? tbh I dont know much about his capabilities beyond rucking and wether he can fit into the structure on game day to provide relief to Lobbe.

15. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

I currently have McEvoy and Longer as my ricks and the cheapest R/F I can find to have cover with Dixon in the forward line. My probably deluded thinking being that McEvoy would benefit from the support of Hale and/or Roughie to get a bit of a rest that the Saints could not provide him with. Longer got the short end of the stick at Brisvegas IMHO and is a superb athlete, if still raw ruck man. Lobbe is an interesting option, however. Very worthy of consideration and there appears to be a bit of support for him as well (currently in 3000 teams). Seems quite a few people have a lot of faith in Nic Nat's groins with 6700 selections so far, followed by Minson, Mummy and Goldy joining Lobbe in the 3000's, Ryder, Cox and Burger around 1800 to 1900 selections with Ivan, Pyke, Jacobs and Kruezer around the 100o selections mark. So far it would seem I'm the only person to have selected McEvoy and Longer....... :-D Which probably highlights my degree of delusion. Cheers, Bill

16. bjaensch

bjaensch New Member

PS: Sandi is in 26,000 teams so far. Seems very hot to trot. Personally, I can't decide how much of a liability he actually is with the injury history.

17. The Bomb Mob

The Bomb Mob Guest

I would give Hampson a big miss. From memory his starting price is high, he doesn't do enough around the ground and always gets injured.

18. funkyc

funkyc Member

Hi Bill. I got seduced by Nicnat's first up blinder last year. I for one will not be seduced again by Nicnat's groin - and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!! I will probably go with Lobbe and Grundy plus the 2 best rookie options I can identify and Dixon as R/F cover. Have been burnt too many times by injury prone ruckmen. Good Luck! Funk

19. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My ruck combination currently sits with Sandi-HMac (Longer - Currie). Longer as some insurance for a risky starting rucks. Just recently brought in HMac instead of Grundy to free up cash to grab McVeigh instead of Hanley in defence. Really really want to pick Grundy, seems an astute pick for mine, and had him pencilled in for a while - just concerned of his increased workload hurting him and being unable to keep scoring well as a young developing ruckman, v.s. HMac as an established past scorer (with injury clouds of course). I suppose you would aim to upgrade him during the byes anyway. If it starts to look like HMac or Grundy are a bit off may switch to Sandi-HMac (Grundy-Currie) for security and peace of mind. One positive of Sandi being back in our equations is the ability to give nicknames again to our ruck combos! Sex On The Beach anyone?

20. jp

jp Active Member

<p class='Quote]Nick wrote: Sex On The Beach anyone? That's likely to leave you with Sandy (Gr)Undies! :)