Midfield Setup

Discussion in 'AFL' started by Fitzy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

What are everyone's thoughts on the setup of the midfield, like 3 premiums 1 mid pricer and 2 rookies on field? or 4 premiums 1 mid and 1 rookie? Thoughts?

2. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

No mid pricers in the middle for me. Waste of money.

3. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

I have Chris Masten, 310k and I think he is going to have a break out year. But might trade him out for rookie or premium, not to sure what to do though

4. melbandy

melbandy Active Member

3 or 4 premiums and rookies to trade up for me. Very risky with mid pricers in midfield. Of course if you pick the one that becomes a premium, you become a hero and get to rub it in.

5. SuperCoachSuperStar

SuperCoachSuperStar New Member

Reckon Barlow will be a very good mid-priced option in the mids. Not many solid options from bye groups 11 and 13.

6. GaryReal

GaryReal Member

Im taking 3 premiums (one of which is Dusty Martin who'll swing into the forward line) and the rest are all rookies. I think i gots to make the money here.

7. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

Do not bother with mid-pricers in your mid-field!!!! Biggest mistake last year was starting with foley and kennedy (swans), although they came ok latter in the year i wasted 2 trades quickly getting rid of them for "curnow and not sure who the other one was!!! Midfield is for the cream of the crop premiums or cheap cash cows who will moo quickly!!! ie curnow last year!!! Saying that players at the price of barlow and hayes are hard to pass up (but lets be honest there prems!!)

8. SuperCoachSuperStar

@Lethaldons

Barlow would be a good midpricers in the midfield could average 110+ and only costs $453,600

9. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Ive changed and now going with 3 premiums and rest are rookies. Any other ideas though?

10. Corks

Corks Member

Know what everyone's saying about mid-pricers in the midfield, but if he's playing by round 1 I can't go past Lenny Hayes. He's a premium priced as a value. That would make it 3-1-4. Premiums penciled in are Swan, Ablett and Murphy.

If Lenny's not playing I think it will be 4 premium and the rest $120k or less rookies, with plenty of GWS newbies :)

11. graeme

graeme Guest

that's the point Lethaldons, trying to identify premiums who do not have a premium price. All we can do with each pick is to try to minimise the risk through analysis of standard deviations, estimates based on averages etc. Gut belief is not analysis it is opinion, don't confuse the two.

Lenny H was a premium - will he be in 2012? If yes, then a heroic pick. Michael Barlow might become one in 2012 - hero or zero pick. BTW, without looking how many games has he played? Answer: 22 - is that sufficient to be classed as a premium?
    regards
    chels

12. tAdmin

tAdmin Guest

There are many ways to skin a cat.

However, the guiding light that I follow is by the end of upgrading I want to have 6 out of the Top 10 midfielders in my team, preferably the Top 6. If you think Hayes or Barlow will end up being in the Top 6/10, then by all means start with them in your team now as they're obviously underpriced.

On the other hand, if you think that they won't be Top 6/10 (going of last year approx. 115+ ppg), then don't pick them at all. As you're either going to have to burn a trade to get a better midfielder or you're going to be losing say 5-15ppg to the competition, whoever that may be.

13. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

Agreed Hornsy, that is the only reason I don't have either barlow or Hayes, I think they are both capable of good years and should be in the top 20 or so mids, but its hard to see either of them in the top ten.

Given the amount of good quality rookies I'm going with 3-0-3

14. SuperCoachSuperStar

Barlow would make a good sideways trade after round 11 to a Boyd, Priddis or Rockliff.

15. Fitzy

Fitzy Guest

Very Very good point hornsy im going with 3-0-3 as well now with pendles ablett and priddis

16. NotTooSerious

NotTooSerious Member

SuperCoach-SuperStar I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" sideways trade...

17. SuperCoachSuperStar

18. SuperCoachSuperStar

When a player increase price by 100k and does the same as a premium and saves you a donut.

19. Lethaldons

Lethaldons New Member

@Chels "All we can do with each pick is to try to minimise the risk through analysis of standard deviations, estimates based on averages etc. Gut belief is not analysis it is opinion, don't confuse the two."

Not confusing anything chels not sure what you mean?? We can go over all the stats , avgs etc (as most on this site would do considering we are in february!!) at the end of the day we are all going to be "kicking ourselves by choosing one player other another, be it due to great selection or purley bad luck ie injurys!! selwood , mundy last year!!

In my mind (it may not be correct) but a mid pricer is someone that we are waiting to take that next step up ie avg around 60-80 and going to jump up over 100!! But like hornsy has pointed out (good point by the way!) you need your mids in the top 10 of the comp!!

Saying this i still havent settled on my formation but will probably be guns and rookies!!! All speculation untill NAB starts!!

Either way we are all footy tragics and gonna be intresting year!!

20. Matty_C

Matty_C New Member

I'm not sure if the value of a trade is 100k and ~100 points, but it depends on the situation and your strategy I guess.

This year I feel like I am going to be more stingy with trades as I fear it might be harder to generate the required cash to upgrade every plater than some people think with only 2 rookies on the bench to slaughter instead of 3.